Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
memakwed
Mouseketeer

AP tickets

I hope I am in the right area but I figured Ap's have to do with theme parks and strategies of how to use them, sorry if I should have gone somewhere else.
Here is my plan. We would like to take a 2nd honeymoon in june 2013 just the two of us but already are in the planning stages of a big family trip FEb. 2014.

We usually do 10 night trips. I would like to hear if others have don 2 trips in 1 year with an AP? With an AP did you get sucked in to visit more than you originally planned? Would you do it again or just one trip at a time for tickets? The pluses of the AP and the minuses? I wnat ot save money but fear we will get sucked in and travel more because of the AP and then wearen't really saving....agood idea gone bad.

Are the AP tickets different -look wise/usewise than your KTTW.

I want to learn as much as I can about the AP it's discounts and booking strategies.
memakwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Dan Murphy
We are family.

About all there is to know here on Deb's site.......

http://allears.net/pl/apass.htm

And yes, many people do wind up going more often, the attraction is strong.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

An AP will always be on a the Tyvek ticket stock, same as you would get a regular MYW ticket at the gate at Disney. You cannot get an AP added to an active KTTW card.

(For short while you could purchase an AP at the resorts, which would be printed on KTTW card stock, but not in conjunction with a KTTW card itself with room access and dining, but I understand they don't do that any more)

We've held APs a few times, but it was always based on our planning. We've sometimes added and extra trip and THEN got the APs, vs. having the APs and throwing in another trip. Travel is getting to expensive for random trips for us

The APs have added benefits...room discounts, merchandise discounts, free parking (if you are staying off site), etc.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Consider the trips you already want to take. If the AP is the best ticket value for those trips, then get the AP. You will be tempted to make additional trips, but you don't have to follow through (I get tempted, and just keep looking at hotels and not booking to get through the craving).
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by memakwed View Post
I hope I am in the right area but I figured Ap's have to do with theme parks and strategies of how to use them, sorry if I should have gone somewhere else.
Here is my plan. We would like to take a 2nd honeymoon in june 2013 just the two of us but already are in the planning stages of a big family trip FEb. 2014.

We usually do 10 night trips. I would like to hear if others have don 2 trips in 1 year with an AP? With an AP did you get sucked in to visit more than you originally planned? Would you do it again or just one trip at a time for tickets? The pluses of the AP and the minuses? I wnat ot save money but fear we will get sucked in and travel more because of the AP and then wearen't really saving....agood idea gone bad.

Are the AP tickets different -look wise/usewise than your KTTW.

I want to learn as much as I can about the AP it's discounts and booking strategies.
We purchased APs this year because we did an 11 day stay in July and are doing another 11 day stay in April 2013!!

For us to have purchased 10 day park hoppers for each trip for our family of four (2A, 2C), it would have cost us just under $3k just for tickets!! We purchased our family APs for $1928, (military rate), so the savings were clear!!!

We have been tempted to book another trip but have not....yet....I am very satisfied with the fact that we'll have gotten over 3 weeks of Disney (22 days) out of these tickets though, even if we book no other trips!

The tickets are like the regular MYW tickets and cannot be added to the KTTW cards.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

The major problem with Annual Passes concerns when they are in a drawer more than 100 miles from Disney World and they whine a lot and scream:

Use Me!

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

OOOH! Mine did that. Loudly. And it's dragging me to Orlando for an unplanned trip in October. I bought it in June on a 4-day trip, planning to use it again next spring, but the opportunity for this Oct. trip with my DS came up, and I wouldn't have been able to do it without already having the AP.

OP, nobody (and no thing) can MAKE you plan another trip. It might make another trip a little more possible, or convenient, but if you can't afford an extra trip, don't go! I enjoy having the AP -- room discounts, merchandise discounts, etc., but I've gone years without buying an AP because I had no trips planned. If it makes the trips you ALREADY have planned any cheaper, get it. Don't not get it because you're afraid you'll be seduced into taking an extra trip.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Lora
DIS Veteran

I've used APs for several years for 2 trips per 365-days. We usually go in the fall and make our 2nd trip on the APs just a couple weeks earlier than the previous year's trip. Each trip us usually around 10-12 days. I have never added an extra WDW trip just because I have the AP. I cannot say that I haven't been tempted. Once I start really thinking about it, though, If I were to spend the travel time and money, I would rather take a trip to visit family. Right now once/year to WDW is enough for me.

Planning BWV - September 2014
BWV & AKV - September 2013 BWV - September 2012, 2011, BWV - October 2010, BWV and ASMov - September 2009 DCL and BWV - October 2008, BWV - September 2007, October 2006, September 2005, October 2004, September 2003 BWV and BCV - October 2002, BWV - May 2001, OKW and BWV - September 2000, DI Treehouse - August 1999 All-Star Sports - August 1994, Off-site - 1973, 1982, 1983, 1988
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

AP Story

For those considering an AP. Let me tell you our story…

We decided to do a WDW trip in April 2012 and during the planning we thought how about a cruise next year…this then turned into “I bet we save some money with an AP”…little did we know that it would lead to 4 trips in one year and a savings of nearly $4000 (with the TiW card included). So if you are willing to plan in advance and take at least two week long trips in a year you will save money. The up- front cost was high ($2150 for 3 adult 1 child AP), but the total savings are extraordinary. The AP also made it easier to schedule a “what the heck” trip for December. We got a great room discount too. I’m now hoping that the April trip will get a great room only AP discount. With proper planning you can get a great deal with the AP and I know everyone on the DIS boards is stricken with the planning disease.

Doubters may say “you wouldn’t have gone so many times” so it isn’t real savings, but for those who love WDW you know the truth and the AP is a great enabler… With a 4 year old I can’t think of a better way to spend quality family time.

If you have means then give into the temptation. You only regret the trips you didn't take.

Mike DW DS (4) DMIL

First visit 1976, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site meeting), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
szymcl
Mouseketeer

You asked for advantages and disadvantages of both. A big advantage for me is that I don't have to think about whether or not I should go to the park just for a quiche at the French Bakery! I don't ever feel like I'm wasting a day. I am always doing math in my head and my price per day ticks down each time I walk through the gates. I have never planned an extra trip.
I have however, had years when I haven't used as many days and a park hopper might have been a better deal financially, but still the peace of not having to count days is worth it for me! I also use the discount on gifts, and no, it doesn't make me buy more stuff!
szymcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

We bought our AP's late Sept 2011 with a goal of a Dec 2011 trip and a mid September 2012 trip (so three trips- well worth the cost). The December trip was a disaster, (literally!), so we were only in a park for 3 hours. As such we went back for my birthday in April of 2012. Work stuff came up last month so we had to cancel that trip. So in the end we only got 2 trips out of those AP's. We saved a ton of money on the rooms and food though, so we dont regret it. We are debating getting new APs for this December trip, but nothing is set just yet.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: