Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
budbeerlady
I call DH The STREAK!!
Sorry honey, no world series tonight, Poo Watch 2006 is going on!

Please do NOT use your hands to pick up buffet food...

I thought I would watch a few Disney videos... so grossed out. I hope this person used the tongs for his other buffet selections. I have a really hard time with buffets to begin with but I hate the idea of fingers on my food!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyUM8udVKr4
Nov 2013 1st Disney Run * Oct 2012 Dream'n Again * Oct 2011 Dd Birthday Cruise* Dec 2010 its all family! *August 2009 ASMu * Nov. 2008 Girls Trip POP * Aug 2008 CBR * Oct. 2007 POP for DD Birthday Trip * Dec. 2006 AKL * Dec. 2005 POFQ for 1st Family Trip* http://stretchingittotravel.wordpress.com/

budbeerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

Um, yeah...that is why there are TONGS THERE! You know, the ones that he reached right over to grab the waffle? That is gross....

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
EllieMaie
Mouseketeer

Ewwwwww.... that is one of the reasons I hate buffets!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yeah....another reason to not use the buffet...in addition to better food quality at sit down restaurants.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Let's hope this was only done for this television show. Who is this guy anyway? Thankfully, he only touched the one he took.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
armywife2001
Earning My Ears

Ew!

At least he didn't put it back.

1988-WDW (Off site)
11/2004-WDW (All-Star Sports)
4/2007-Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea
11/2011- WDW (Pop Century)
5/2012- Disneyland
4/2013- Disney Magic Cruise
12/2013- Disneyland
armywife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
lady9
DIS Veteran

At our embarkation lunch the guy on the other side of the buffet at Parrot Cay did use the tongs to put the food on his plate, then promptly picked the food from his plate and put it and 2 fingers into his mouth, then licked his fingers! He then grabbed the tongs at the next dish with the same fingers he just licked. We finished going through the line, I pointed out what the guy had done and the server changed all the tongs and spoons on that side of the buffet. We never ate a buffet the rest of the cruise knowing this guy could have been there before us.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady9 View Post
At our embarkation lunch the guy on the other side of the buffet at Parrot Cay did use the tongs to put the food on his plate, then promptly picked the food from his plate and put it and 2 fingers into his mouth, then licked his fingers! He then grabbed the tongs at the next dish with the same fingers he just licked. We finished going through the line, I pointed out what the guy had done and the server changed all the tongs and spoons on that side of the buffet. We never ate a buffet the rest of the cruise knowing this guy could have been there before us.
You are a rock star for reporting it!
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Why is it gross? He didn't touch anything bit the waffle...
NMDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
GoofyDisneyDaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyFan View Post
Why is it gross? He didn't touch anything but the waffle...
Yeah, playing a little Devil's advocate here, but it seems using the tongs would be a bigger issue regarding cross contamination. Here, nothing he touched will be touched by anyone but him. But, if you use the tongs, his hand goes on the tongs, and then your hand goes on the tongs, and that is how germs are spread. Now, if he put his hand into the vat of oatmeal and plopped that onto his bowl, that would be a bit odd (for many reasons).

I'm not going to live my life in a bubble and avoid the buffets because of this video, but I understand everyone has their thing.
GoofyDisneyDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

That may be true, but you can see his thumb touch the waffles under it, because they move when he grabs it. Probably best just to use the tongs.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Uh, yuck! This is why I usually opt for sit down meals where a server brings your food (I just hope they wash their hands and that I don't tick them off so they do something gross in my food!). Buffets give me the willies!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Didn't watch the video, but isn't sharing tongs equally as gross. What about somebody rating with their hands and then using a salt or pepper shaker and then you eating at the table after them. Do you wipe down all salt and pepper shakers or ketchup bottles at restaurants? It doesn't bother me as I am used to the fact that we come in contact with others germs all of the time.

With all of that said, please use the tongs.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDisneyDaddy View Post
Yeah, playing a little Devil's advocate here, but it seems using the tongs would be a bigger issue regarding cross contamination. Here, nothing he touched will be touched by anyone but him. But, if you use the tongs, his hand goes on the tongs, and then your hand goes on the tongs, and that is how germs are spread. Now, if he put his hand into the vat of oatmeal and plopped that onto his bowl, that would be a bit odd (for many reasons).

I'm not going to live my life in a bubble and avoid the buffets because of this video, but I understand everyone has their thing.
That's why they give wipes to everyone entering the restaurants to hopefully prevent us from getting sick from everyone handling the tongs and such. He did touch other waffles so he touched someone else's food.

BTW, cross contamination is when you use one set of tongs or serving utensils to get a food item that they weren't meant for - e.g., using a fruit spoon to also get some grated cheese. Now, anyone else who uses the spoon for fruit is exposed to a dairy product, a known allergen for many people.

Dream Cruise - August 2012, Poly - June 2012, WWOHP - November 2011, Wonder Cruise - November 2010, Poly - April 2010, July 2009, AKL - October 2008, AKL - November 2007, AKL and CR - June 2007, NH and RPR - October 2006, AKL - May 2006, WL - July 2005, AKL - October 2004, AKL - August 2003. AKL - April 2002, OKW - August 2001
And many more....
SharonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Yeah, he touched other waffles. That's gross.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: