Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
kalliyan1
DIS Veteran

Nexus 7 vs Kindle Fire HD

Considering one of these for my girls for Christmas as "back-ups" if the pricing of the new ipad mini is too much above the $200 mark.
They will use it for movies and apps so just the wifi is fine.

The question I have is this...I convert their disney dvd's and put them on my ipad, will I be able to load either of these devices with converted movies or will i have to purchase them all? make sense Maybe a simpler way of asking what I want to know is, can I transfer things onto either/both of these devices from our computer?

TIA
kalliyan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliyan1 View Post
Considering one of these for my girls for Christmas as "back-ups" if the pricing of the new ipad mini is too much above the $200 mark.

The question I have is this...I convert their disney dvd's and put them on my ipad, will I be able to load either of these devices with converted movies or will i have to purchase them all? make sense Maybe a simpler way of asking what I want to know is, can I transfer things onto either/both of these devices from our computer?

TIA
The easy answer is that you will be able to transfer movies from your computer to a Kindle Fire or the N7.

The more complicated answer is how they will look when played. When you convert the Dvd to a file on your computer, you choose a format for the new file. Most software has formats which are optimized for the iPad and the iPhone and some have them for the KF.

If you get a KF or N7, you should test the video quality by playing a movie you already have on your computer. If the quality is not optimal, you may need to very the conversion format for future DVDs to get the best compromise. Note, the smaller iPad may have exactly the same issues, as the best settings to watch on an iPhone are not the same as for an iPad. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
kalliyan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
The easy answer is that you will be able to transfer movies from your computer to a Kindle Fire or the N7.

The more complicated answer is how they will look when played. When you convert the Dvd to a file on your computer, you choose a format for the new file. Most software has formats which are optimized for the iPad and the iPhone and some have them for the KF.

If you get a KF or N7, you should test the video quality by playing a movie you already have on your computer. If the quality is not optimal, you may need to very the conversion format for future DVDs to get the best compromise. Note, the smaller iPad may have exactly the same issues, as the best settings to watch on an iPhone are not the same as for an iPad. -- Suzanne
Thanks for the answer...I realize I will have to change the format, that's not a problem. I just wasn't sure if once I did that if I could transfer them onto the device.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

I have both an iPad and a Kindle Fire (I use to have the original but now have the HD version) and all my converted videos work on both of them with no problems. Both of them read mp4 formatted videos so I don't even have to convert them to two different files.

The only difference is the location the video files go. On the iPad they end up in the same place as all the other videos but on the Fire they end up in a "personal video" app.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
kalliyan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJackSparrow4Life View Post
I have both an iPad and a Kindle Fire (I use to have the original but now have the HD version) and all my converted videos work on both of them with no problems. Both of them read mp4 formatted videos so I don't even have to convert them to two different files.

The only difference is the location the video files go. On the iPad they end up in the same place as all the other videos but on the Fire they end up in a "personal video" app.
Without converting them, how does that work with the different screen sizes?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

I have always just chosen iPad setting in handbrake when converting and it has worked just fine on both the iPad and the Fires. In fact when the Fire first came out the instructions for converting DVD to mp4 for them said to pick the iPad settings.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
kalliyan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJackSparrow4Life View Post
I have always just chosen iPad setting in handbrake when converting and it has worked just fine on both the iPad and the Fires. In fact when the Fire first came out the instructions for converting DVD to mp4 for them said to pick the iPad settings.
Good to know....Thank you!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Here are the instructions I use:

http://tabletorials.com/2011/11/conv...fire-for-free/

Now that the Fire (and other 7 inch tablets) have been out for a while there are probably other settings that would work better but these have worked just fine and I don't see the point in keeping multiple files on my computer when I don't have to.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliyan1 View Post

TIA
9to5 Mac is reporting that the smaller iPad will start at $329. Of course, we will know for sure in a few days. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Tinaphpc
Earning My Ears

I also have the same problem, thank you guys.

Tinaphpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
sherry7
DIS Veteran

Just as a FYI, if you decide on the Nexus 7, you might want to wait a few weeks. Supposedly, the new 32 gb model is going to be released at the end of October and will sell for the same price as the 16 gb model currently does. The 8 gb models will likely be clearanced out, and the 16 gb models should drop in price. The Staples near me have already clearanced the 8 gb models, but they're sold out now.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: