Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Vacuums

I need a new vacuum. I've managed to make ours last 12 years, but it's dying a slow death and needs to be replaced.

What kind do you have, would you recommend it, and why (inexpensive, lightweight, picks up pet hair well, etc.)?

Thanks.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan
I need a new vacuum. I've managed to make ours last 12 years, but it's dying a slow death and needs to be replaced.

What kind do you have, would you recommend it, and why (inexpensive, lightweight, picks up pet hair well, etc.)?

Thanks.
Me too, my 8 year old Dyson is about to kick the bucket. Need something that will deal with pet hair well!
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

We ordered a Hoover Wind Tunnel canister vacuum from Amazon a couple of months ago, and realized after the first use that our previous Sears Kenmore canister vacuum wasn't doing any thing. Our two cats drop loads of fur every step they take, and when I empty the canister after each use, there's enough fur to build another cat.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I actually went back to an Oreck, with the bag, after having a Hoover cannister vacuum for all of a year. I just could not get used to using the cannister. After I'd vacuum, I'd open it up and try to dump it into the trash, and dust would get everywhere again-- if I wasn't careful, I'd have to vacuum what I'd vacuumed. I was happy when the thing died after a year. I much prefer the old-fashioned bag vacuums.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Great thread. I am on my 3rd vacuum in 5 years. I remember my mom had the same vacuum for like 25 years. I guess those days are long gone. I too am looking for a really good suction vacuum.

5 years ago I got a cheap Kenmore canister vac (bag). I got it because I wanted one for each floor. I can't remember what vac I already had but I broke shortly after I bought the Kenmore. So the Kenmore became my only vac. It wasn't too bad but after about 2 years the wheel on the push part (not sure what that's called) broke off. And the medal tube/pole thing kept getting clogged up. It's now in my garage for vacuuming out our cars.

Next up was a Hoover Deluxe Elite Rewind upright bagless. It cost more than the Kenmore but it was still reasonably priced. It seemed good at first but then the suction got really weak (especially when doing steps and furniture...it was minimal at best). The part you detach to vacuum steps/furniture/cars has a hose that was too short and the cord was a tad too short as well.

So, after 2 years of the non-suction, I decided to get a second vac and move the weak one upstairs. I researched and posed OP's same question on my Facebook page. A friend suggested a vac that I had seen in reviews and top 10 type lists on the net. It was a Eureka- The Boss- Smart Vac pet lover upright (bag). I specifically asked my friend how the suction was and he said "great!". So I got it and it was also pretty reasonably priced. It was great, for a while, and then it got weak and the brush on the front stopped spinning (due to lack of suction). I ordered a new filter and belt and replaced them in hopes to get better suction. Not! I have to keep it on the highest carpet level to get the brush to spin and my carpet is a very thin/tight berber. It has the same trouble over my 2 hardwood area rugs that are also pretty thin.

I am going to throw in the towel and just buy one of the 'big ticket' vacs like Dyson or Oreck or Kirby. I will keep an eye on this thread for suggestions. I want great suction and ease of vacuuming steps and furniture (long tube). I will do upright or canister and would prefer bagless but if that causes suction problems (my neighbor has a bagless Dyson and she said the suction isn't great) I will go with a bag.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 10-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

We actually just got a Roomba. DH has been lobbying to get one of these for years, but he finally convinced me. It's not so much that the sucking power is all that great or anything, but that I can come home from work and, three nights a week, someone has already done the vacuuming for me. Seeing what my prior track record was on regular carpet sweeping, this is a huge improvement.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

We have a 20 year old Riccar. Well worn but still vaccuums well. My mom bought a Kirby in 1960, still going strong. They are expensive, but they work well, and being made out of aluminun instead of plastic, they never wear out, and if they do, almost everything is covered for life.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
clm10308
DIS Veteran

About 5-6 years ago I got sucked into buying a Kirby from a salesman that came to the door. What sold me on it was how well the shampooer worked on carpet that I thought needed to be replaced. I also talked to a friend who said the her Kirby was one of the few things she too when she got divorced.

It was very expensive and heavy, but it does a great job of cleaning. however, I would probably not get it if I had to do it over again just because of the cost. I am much more conservative with my money now than I was then. I do think you can buy them used though.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

I have a Dyson for pet hair and the only way any one will ever get it away from me is to pry it out of my cold dead hands. I love my Dyson. Love, love, love.

Prior to the Dyson we had a whole string of vacuums that sucked great for about a month and then were useless after.

I believe my DH bought our Dyson from Bed, Bath and Beyond with one of their 40% off coupons, which made the price doable.

My Dyson, coupled with a Dustbuster, takes care of all of the dust and dirt in my 4-cat household. It improved mine and DD's breathing and indoor allergies, as well.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm10308 View Post
About 5-6 years ago I got sucked into buying a Kirby from a salesman that came to the door. What sold me on it was how well the shampooer worked on carpet that I thought needed to be replaced. I also talked to a friend who said the her Kirby was one of the few things she too when she got divorced.

It was very expensive and heavy, but it does a great job of cleaning. however, I would probably not get it if I had to do it over again just because of the cost. I am much more conservative with my money now than I was then. I do think you can buy them used though.
Kirby vaccuums are kind of a mind set. In an era where people throwout perfectly good cell phones every 2 years, people have a touch time buying an appliance that will last a lifetime.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilesfamily View Post
I have a Dyson for pet hair and the only way any one will ever get it away from me is to pry it out of my cold dead hands. I love my Dyson. Love, love, love.

Prior to the Dyson we had a whole string of vacuums that sucked great for about a month and then were useless after.

I believe my DH bought our Dyson from Bed, Bath and Beyond with one of their 40% off coupons, which made the price doable.

My Dyson, coupled with a Dustbuster, takes care of all of the dust and dirt in my 4-cat household. It improved mine and DD's breathing and indoor allergies, as well.
Which Dyson do you have...there are different models I assume? We just got a BB&B so I may have DH get me a Dyson there for Xmas. I'll keep an eye on the coupons that come.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

I have three vacuums. I demoted the Oreck to the basement because it is my least favorite. The suction is poor and it doesn't have attachments. It's fine for the laminate and tile down there.

First floor gets the Dyson. It has good suction and attachments, but it's heavy and not well balanced when using the attachments.

I bought a Shark Lift Away (I think that's the right name) for the second floor because the Dyson was too heavy to lug up there. It has great suction, but the dust cup is tiny. The price was right though, so I'm okay with it.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

I currently have a Hoover Wind Tunnel that I dislike immensely. It loses suction power periodically. When this happens, I have to remove the back and all the many little screws and find out where the clog is. After digging around and pulling out the clog, it gets decent suction again for a while but I hate having to take the back off all the time.

Also, I hate a bag less vacuum. Like a previous poster said, I feel like after I dump the canister, that I have to vacuum again ( and shower!)
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Anyone ever have a Miele? I had never heard of them but they get great reviews.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I bought expensive vacuums for years. They'd last 2-3 years and die (and I don't have pets or kids), and I'd be frustrated and angry after spending all that money.

I decided if they were doing to die every couple of years anyway, I'd just get a cheap one. I bought a Shark Navigator for about $100 at BJ's. I've had it for 3 years, and for suction, it's still the best one I've ever had. By far. Very light, no bags, it's easy to clean, it's inhaled everything from coins to screws to an iPhone USB cable and is still going strong. I love it. When it finally gives up the ghost, I'm getting another one.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: