Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
tmclanton
Mouseketeer

Help me decide

We are taking a Disney Cruise for my 40th birthday in March (also during Spring Break).

I currently have a 4 night Bahama cruise out of Florida on the Dream. It is with a Deluxe Family Veranda stateroom. From what I can figure with the cost of the cruise, flight, transportation and room the night before, the total for the trip will be around $4300.

Then I kept looking... bad idea! We can go on a 6 night Caribbean Cruise out of Galveston on the Magic in a outside room for $5200... $800 more. I am thinking that either cruise we would only do 1 main excursion, so I don't think that will factor into the cost too much.

So, is it worth it for 2 more nights to spend the extra money? I was looking forward to the newer ship and the veranda, but disappointed in the only 1 at sea day. On the magic we would have 3 days at sea... sounds much more peaceful! This is our first cruise, so I have no experience to draw from.

Is there any thing else I need to consider? Is there anything about the magic that would make it more appealing? (BTW, our DS is not an adventure rider, so I doubt he would even get on the aquaduck!)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL
2008 WL- Mother and Son Christmas Trip
2013 40th Birthday Magic Cruise

tmclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclanton View Post
We are taking a Disney Cruise for my 40th birthday in March (also during Spring Break).

I currently have a 4 night Bahama cruise out of Florida on the Dream. It is with a Deluxe Family Veranda stateroom. From what I can figure with the cost of the cruise, flight, transportation and room the night before, the total for the trip will be around $4300.

Then I kept looking... bad idea! We can go on a 6 night Caribbean Cruise out of Galveston on the Magic in a outside room for $5200... $800 more. I am thinking that either cruise we would only do 1 main excursion, so I don't think that will factor into the cost too much.

So, is it worth it for 2 more nights to spend the extra money? I was looking forward to the newer ship and the veranda, but disappointed in the only 1 at sea day. On the magic we would have 3 days at sea... sounds much more peaceful! This is our first cruise, so I have no experience to draw from.

Is there any thing else I need to consider? Is there anything about the magic that would make it more appealing? (BTW, our DS is not an adventure rider, so I doubt he would even get on the aquaduck!)

For us, the longer the better. The Magic was our first DCL cruise, we love her.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I haven't been on the Dream or Magic but have been on the Fantasy and Wonder. Go for the six day on the Magic. Longer is ALWAYS better!! If it's your first cruise, you're going to spend so much time just getting acclimated to being on the ship and finding your way around; that's going to be easier on the Magic.

As far an newer ship, DCLs ships are maintained very well, you'll never know the difference. Especially since you've never been on any cruise ship.

I don't know the itineraries of the two cruises, but even if you miss Castaway Cay, the two extra days at sea are worth it. Plus, having been to the Bahamas and Caribbean a few times each, I prefer the Caribbean.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
raceboymom
Earning My Ears

We sailed on the Magic last year and loved it. Although the ship is older, it has been updated & is very nice. The extra days at sea would be very nice & relaxing!
raceboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
tmclanton
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the replies. The 6 night itinerary does not have Castaway Cay So that is a consideration. However, I think I can give that up for more relax time. My husband's main issue with Disney is the run, run, run atmosphere.... due to my planning! I am afraid the 4 day may feel that way, too!

Any other advice?

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL
2008 WL- Mother and Son Christmas Trip
2013 40th Birthday Magic Cruise

tmclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

My first cruise was on the Magic back in 2007 (7 night eastern) and my most recent cruise was also on the Magic (5 night NY/Canada).

The Magic is beautiful and in great shape. I love sea days, so I would vote for the longer trip based on that alone. I recommend a longer cruise as a first cruise. More time to learn the ship and plenty of time to relax!

The smaller ship and lower guest count on the classic ships may also help avoid the run, run, run tendency.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. The 6 night itinerary does not have Castaway Cay So that is a consideration. However, I think I can give that up for more relax time. My husband's main issue with Disney is the run, run, run atmosphere.... due to my planning! I am afraid the 4 day may feel that way, too!

Any other advice?
I have done the 4-night and 3-night (on the Dream) as well as 2 7-night cruises on the Wonder. I prefer the 7-nights on the classic ship.

The Dream is a beautiful ship, the technology is wonderful and Castaway Cay is amazing. But I will still take 7 nights on the Wonder (w/o Castaway Cay) vs. 4 night on the Dream (with Castaway Cay).

While the 4-night isn't nearly as rushed as the 3-night was, it was still kind of hectic with people trying to see and do everything.

So given your choices, I would take the 6-night for sure. Best of luck with the decision!
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: