Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
NedsTJ
Only 5.67E+06 feet from MK!

eBay bidding question

Not sure where to ask this, but I figure more eBayer's hang out here (collectors board) than elsewhere, LOL!
I bid on and won and auction the other night. I got it for what I thought it would go for, but the bidding in the last 30 seconds was odd.
The items are some 1995 guide books of MK, Epcot and MGM. Someone had early bid, but I knew it would go for much more. With about 18 seconds to go I bid $42.57. High Bidder...for about 3 seconds when it said I was outbid. Cursing to myself (as I knew I should have just entered my max, lol), I quickly rebid $50 and managed to win the auction at $47.91. In looking at the bidding, I was surprises to see 4 bids in row, 1-2 seconds apart. Each entered with a it's own timestamp (ie, separate bid?).

I'm guessing this is some sort of snipe attempt? I'm just curious what was going on as if it was single, higher max, it would have simply jumped to that level and be shown as a "automatic bid". Or was someone using some sort of service or "tool" to bid for them? And to what end? Just enter your max and you either get it or you don't and you don't have to worry about spending to much?

DisDad #535
Ned's Magic Kingdom Guidebooks from '72-'13

...as well as 12/12, 10/13, 4/14 and coming up 12/14 at GFV!
Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck.

NedsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

If you are known on eBay for a particular item (as I am for Figment stuff), using eBay's system lets people know you are interested and can run the bids way up. If you use an outside service that does not start bidding until about ten seconds (or less) out you're not know to be bidding until the last few seconds.

e-snipe, for example, has probably saved me a lot of money.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
P11876
Earning My Ears

Esnipe probably

Yes...it just sounds like several people sniped the bid at once. That sort of thing has happened to me before on several occasions.

My philosophy...always bid your max via regular bidding or esnipe...then, if you don't get it, you can rest assured that you at least made them pay! Lord knows others have made me pay before
P11876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
stowey22
Earning My Ears

Is eBay the best place to sell

I was wondering if eBay is my best option for selling my Disney Collectibles? I have collected random things for many years but I am now married and I am starting a family and I rarely see my curio of collectibles anymore so I am think about selling them.

Thoughts?
stowey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

eBay can be good but you may not get what you think your items are worth. Also, research shipping costs well as they can vary and if anything is breakable know that you will need to pack them carefully to avoid breakage.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: