Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Opinions on 50's Primetime?

Just curious on opinions about Primetime?

I ask because we have had wonderful meals and fun servers all but one time where the food and the server lacked.

We went last night and had Tom - this was our second time with him - last time was three years ago but I clearly remember him because DD2 at the time wanted a hug from him and he was super hesitant - but DH said something about - if you were REALLY cousin Tom you'd give her a hug! So he did - of course DH gave him extra tip for the extra in character hug. He is so into it and really made the meal even that more wonderful. Also the chef came out to take DD's order due to her allergies - NEVER had that happen and we eat at WDW a LOT and always note her allergy.

Anyway - sadly - as I was eating my leftovers tonight I was thinking how good the food was even re-heated and wonder what the general opinion on Dis is! Sad huh? LOL!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Love this place....Always, Always have had great food & service.....

Was even better when they added the sampler, which now I don't need to choose between all my fav's...LoL.

Sad to say though, we're going in April, & the wife kids & I want to substitute a few new rest.'s for some old fav's... So 50's P/T for the 1st time evver won't be 1 of ADR's as well as O'hanas, & Tuott' too......What will we do ?

We got Sanaa & Boma since we're staying at AKL.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Disneywhiz323
Earning My Ears

I love that place! The old tvs do repeat though. But it's a very fun place to eat!
Disneywhiz323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

We ate here last Sunday night. We both had the sampler (ton of food). I had the PB&J shake for dessert and loved it. I thought the food was really good, but out of our 8 table service meals it was my least favorite.
Tanyabeth8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
MarineVet
Mouseketeer

We like it 95% of the time and always try to eat there once per trip. I guess we have eaten there about 5 or 6 times in the last two years. Only once was I disappointed. They were super crowded and running late, and service was rushed, the waitress didn't even play the "aunt" or "cousin" role. It was just crazy that one time.

Come to think of it, it was raining a little. Our only other experience with getting seated really late and being in an over stuffed Disney Park Restaurant (Garden Grill) was also when it was raining. The CM there said when it rains, people tend to linger at their seats longer and others show up early.

We plan on going to Prime Time again in December. And no, its not really sad!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

We ate here last Sunday. Our waitress marnie was great! Will post review and pics soon

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Boma's Banana Bread recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
phillymummer
DIS Veteran

I only ate there one time and it was kind of a bad experience. We were a party of 7. We waited almost an hour past our ADR time and then finally took up an offer to get seated at 2 different tables, but across from each other. Our server was fun, but no one got sent to a corner or anything. I don't think i was impressed with the food. Reading these types of responses does encourage me to try it again some day.

Oct 2012 POFQ- First trip planned all by myself (and with plenty of help from The Dis!)
Next trip- Nov 2015 to Universal!
phillymummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
dtstampz
Mouseketeer

We had lunch there on Sept. 25th. My friend & I had been there last May, but it was a new
experience for my dh. We got "Cousin Cooper" for our server, and he was a riot! Dh got
in trouble right away for having elbows on the table, but he was a good sport and played
along. We all seemed to get picked on equally, and the two tables next to us provided a lot of entertainment as well. I even got a birthday cupcake, and Cooper had the room sing happy birthday to the "18-ish year old lady". The food was okay, but the experience was well worth the cost of the meal.
Sept. 2013 CSR **May 2014 CSR**

No new trip planned...so sad!
dtstampz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I dined solo there in August. I asked my server not to play in character. I ordered the sampler, but I asked for smaller portions, since I can't eat much in one sitting and I hate wasting food. The service was good, the food was good. The dessert was huge, even though I asked for a small portion of that as well. It was the brownie sundae and the server was apologetic that she couldn't make it any smaller. I survived, lol.

I'd recommend going there, the families dining seemed to have a lot of fun.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

We've ate there I think three times, maybe four. All but one of those times the food was excellent. The service has always been good but it has varied on how "into character" the servers are. That's not the reason I eat there so I don't mind if they're not really into it. The last time we ate there was in May of 2012 (there's a link in my signature to my reviews if you're interested). The food was just OK, not as good as I've had before but still pretty good. Ou rserver wasn't really into it but she kept our drinks full, that's what matters most to me.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

It's one of our favorites AMD a must do for us every trip. We have even been there twice in one week before. we love the food and we have always had great service!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
RyMacJ
DIS Veteran

I'm happy to read about so many people loving 50's Prime Time. We have never been and I have it on my list to book an ADR for May. It will be our very first dinner in Disney (for this trip) so I hope it is great! I added it as a reccommendation from my cousin, who is a Disney expert--she's been going to the World once or twice a year since she was 6 (now 34) and spent two summers in the college program as well. So I trust her!

I'm going to have to remember to tell my DH and DMil to play along if we get a great server. I think my DD's will just crack up at somebody scolding their parents and grandmas!

Offisite April 1987**Treehouse Villas June 1993**Offsite July 1998**POFQ (DisneyMoon) May 2007**AoA Nemo Suite May 2013

Planning for June or July 2015 at CBR!

Me DH DD6 DD5
RyMacJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

This is the only non-Signature TS restaurant that we go to each and every time we visit WDW. (Although Via Napoli has probably joined that very short list). I'm not going to sit here and tell you that the food is great, or that this dish or that dish is the "best I've ever had". But the combination of classic family dinner selections coupled with the quality, atmosphere, decor and in-character servers gives us a "we're at Disney World" feel that few other places can match. Have I had better fried chicken? Yes. I'd take the chicken at Stroud's or the Loveless Cafe over this any day. But neither place delivers to DHS. Is my meatloaf better than theirs? I like to think so. But to hone in solely on the food misses the point, by and large.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
This is the only non-Signature TS restaurant that we go to each and every time we visit WDW. (Although Via Napoli has probably joined that very short list). I'm not going to sit here and tell you that the food is great, or that this dish or that dish is the "best I've ever had". But the combination of classic family dinner selections coupled with the quality, atmosphere, decor and in-character servers gives us a "we're at Disney World" feel that few other places can match. Have I had better fried chicken? Yes. I'd take the chicken at Stroud's or the Loveless Cafe over this any day. But neither place delivers to DHS. Is my meatloaf better than theirs? I like to think so. But to hone in solely on the food misses the point, by and large.
Agree completely with this.

The food at 50's PT is good (but not great) in a Bob Evans/Cracker Barrel, comfort food vein. But, IMO, the overall experience really sets this place apart. It takes one back to the time when Disney ventured out from animated films into live action movies, television, and theme parks (i.e., Disneyland). To me, this was sort of a magical period in the history of pop culture.

Oh, and the PB&J milkshake really is fantastic (and this is coming from someone who tried it with reluctant skepticism).
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I've gone twice. Both times, servers were average and food was meh. I like the theming but beyond that, I don't see the appeal.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: