Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
disney david
DIS Veteran

We need to stop the bullying enough is enough

Found this and it sad thAt she had to go though this and seemed like no one would help and to take her life year after making this video and the school hiding behind the fact that they offered her consoling after the video came out. Parent need to keep an eye on what their kids are doing on the Internet may be if they stop her from flashing and having a sick person posting them and sending them to everyone may be she still be here. It sad that kids feel like the only way out is taking their lives it not if they get help they need and for the bullying to stop then they can go on with their lives. Schools are not dong enough to prevent and stop bullying and parents of the kids who are the bullies are not doing enough to stop their kids.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHdhlSk5bo

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Bullying will NEVER stop. It's human nature. But I put more blame on the kids commiting suicide than anything. Sound harsh right? Let me explain...
I was mercilessly bullied ALL my school years up until high school. I was born with CP and it affects my left side and my speech. Instead of saying "woe is me, life is hard I'm ending it", I fought back. I proved that I wasn't going to take it any longer and that no matter what they did, they wouldn't break me. These kids today are killing themselves like it's a new fad. It's ridiculous! Most of the bullying is verbal, I mean really? what ever happened to sticks and stones? I tell my kids everyday, "they do not define you, you define you. If you define yourself as someone who is weak, then they will see you that way." It's a harsh reality, but it's the truth. And that's how alot of our parents (at least from my generation) taught us. Somewhere along the line parents stop teaching this. We are now a population of victims and I seriously fear for the future of human kind.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

I'm with you Bayou (to a certain extent). I was bullied in my day, but all that did was push me to be stronger and better. Back in my day (that seems so weird - I am not THAT old!) we did not get coddled by parents whenever a hang nail appeared.

Yes - real issues occur where parental and legal intervention is required. But having been married to a kindergarten teacher for a few years now - listening to what parents (and students) try to pull is silly...

At some point, those kids have to stand up for themselves (I am not condoning violence - as I never resorted to that - if I had - I'd have been pummeled!) and outsmart the ones that certainly have issues of their own in needing to lash out in this way.

I'm glad you overcame your issues...I hope more stories like this can inspire parents and kids to overcome by using brains rather than brawn or "force." I'm a better citizen and more productive because I chose that path.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
soupy11
Cast Member Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
Bullying will NEVER stop. It's human nature. But I put more blame on the kids commiting suicide than anything. Sound harsh right? Let me explain...
I was mercilessly bullied ALL my school years up until high school. I was born with CP and it affects my left side and my speech. Instead of saying "woe is me, life is hard I'm ending it", I fought back. I proved that I wasn't going to take it any longer and that no matter what they did, they wouldn't break me. These kids today are killing themselves like it's a new fad. It's ridiculous! Most of the bullying is verbal, I mean really? what ever happened to sticks and stones? I tell my kids everyday, "they do not define you, you define you. If you define yourself as someone who is weak, then they will see you that way." It's a harsh reality, but it's the truth. And that's how alot of our parents (at least from my generation) taught us. Somewhere along the line parents stop teaching this. We are now a population of victims and I seriously fear for the future of human kind.

This is a great inspiring story, but the sad part lies in the fact that we are all wired differently and each of us respond to stress in different ways. There is no "normal" in reacting to bullying and humiliation.

Youth suicide is not a new phenomenon and rates have declined from the early 90's. We are not seeing some fad acted out with our "troubled youth" but we are certainly hearing more about it with the spread of social media. Hopefully that will help change some of the misconceptions and myths that surround suicide.
September 1997 - Econolodge Hawaiian
January 2004 - Holiday Villa Vacation Home
October 2004 - La Quinta Lakeside
April 2005 - Cypress Pointe
April 2006 - Cypress Pointe
April 2007 - POP Century
August 2009 - POP Century
soupy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy11 View Post
This is a great inspiring story, but the sad part lies in the fact that we are all wired differently and each of us respond to stress in different ways. There is no "normal" in reacting to bullying and humiliation.

Youth suicide is not a new phenomenon and rates have declined from the early 90's. We are not seeing some fad acted out with our "troubled youth" but we are certainly hearing more about it with the spread of social media. Hopefully that will help change some of the misconceptions and myths that surround suicide.
This is true, suicide rates have gone down in the last 20 years, but we do hear about it more. The internet and 24 hour news cycle puts alot more information out there than 20 years ago. When I was in high school...more than 20 years ago, I remember 3 suicides, but back then it made the local paper and that was about it, there was no internet, let alone FB or You Tube. Not that it makes the ones we hear about now any less heartbreaking though. And I do think kids are meaner nowadays...or least they have more ways to be mean, ways that extend outside of the school and playground where kids can't even get some relief at home. I appreciate anyone who can stand up for themselves and fight back, but not all kids can do this or they don't have the love and support at home to help them stand up for themselves.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Bullying has always been around, it's just with social media it's easier to bully.
I know years ago when I was in grade school there was 1 student in 5th grade and then one in 6th that kids picked on. I befriended them, probably because I had dealt with abuse in my life and I had a slightly different outlook than many kids.

Yes, we need to teach our kids that they can and should define themselves, but there are many different personalties and some people simply don't have the strength to stand up for themselves.

Be kind to one another...PLEASE.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: