Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
my2boys2disney
Mouseketeer

Break it down for a first time cruiser please!

We are going on the Wonder Mexican Rivera in a month. I am not well travelled and have never been on a cruise, so a little nervous. Please walk me through the boarding process. So we park our car at the port, get our bags out and then what?? Are they people to help you inside? Is there a limit to how many you can bring? Any info is greatly appreciated!

my2boys2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When you get to the terminal, friendly porters will take your bags from you. Each bag will need to have a tag with your room # on it. You can get more tags at the terminal if you need them. Disney "suggests" a limit of two bags per person, since the empty bags need to be stored in your stateroom during the cruise. We stack them inside each other and put them under the bed.

We keep our medications and valuables with us in a carry-on, which follows us around the ship until our room is ready, usually at 1:30 p.m. Your luggage is usually delivered before you get ready for dinner.

After the porters take your bags, and you tip them, you can stay at the terminal while one of you parks the car.

Last edited by jdb in AZ; 10-08-2012 at 10:43 AM.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OK, you do not park your car first. You drive to the drop off point (well marked). Porters will take your checked luggage from your car, verify that you have the correct DCL luggage tags in place, and accept your tip. THEN you park the car and go with your carry on bags to the entrance. You go thru screening like at an airport (but you don't have to strip!) Then you go to a desk with your documents and check in for your cruise. EVERYONE needs to be in this line as part of it involves a security photo. You'll get your KTTW cards and boarding pass. As soon as your pass number is called, you'll walk onto the ship.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boys2disney View Post
We are going on the Wonder Mexican Rivera in a month. I am not well travelled and have never been on a cruise, so a little nervous. Please walk me through the boarding process. So we park our car at the port, get our bags out and then what?? Are they people to help you inside? Is there a limit to how many you can bring? Any info is greatly appreciated!
To carry on from there, after handing over your bags to the porter, and parking the car (in whatever order), you will show your cruise document to the security at the door to enter the terminal. Go up the escalator, into the checkin area. Here you fill out your health questionaire (1 per family) and then proceed to the checkin counter. There are 2, one for returning cruisers, one for first time cruisers. At check in they will take your picture for your KTTW card. From there you go through security (carry on bag scanner), this is where you get your boarding number, also. Once on the other side of security is a large waiting area, lots of chairs. There is a photo op place (sometimes with a character), the kids club checkin desk, and a few vending machines, also.

Have a seat and wait for your boarding number to be called. When it is, you join the line going through the KTTW scanning station, through the doors, turn left, here are a couple of boarding picture locations, you can have your picture taken, or not, as you wish. Then down the gangway and you're onboard!

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Once you are on board, the CMs will announce your family, welcome you, and direct you towards lunch, and let you know when rooms are ready! Everyone is very willing to help, or guide you if you say, "I have no idea where I am"

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

To carry on from there, after handing over your bags to the porter, and parking the car (in whatever order), you will show your cruise document to the security at the door to enter the terminal. Go up the escalator, into the checkin area. Here you fill out your health questionaire (1 per family) and then proceed to the checkin counter. There are 2, one for returning cruisers, one for first time cruisers. At check in they will take your picture for your KTTW card. From there you go through security (carry on bag scanner), this is where you get your boarding number, also. Once on the other side of security is a large waiting area, lots of chairs. There is a photo op place (sometimes with a character), the kids club checkin desk, and a few vending machines, also.

Have a seat and wait for your boarding number to be called. When it is, you join the line going through the KTTW scanning station, through the doors, turn left, here are a couple of boarding picture locations, you can have your picture taken, or not, as you wish. Then down the gangway and you're onboard!

I wish I would have known about the opting out of photo part we waited forever until I decided, lets just sneak by this line and board.
I mean almost 30 minutes!! And no one was passing to board, so we just took a chance. (We aren't picture people)
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

To the OP, if you are interested in saving $, there are offsite parking venues that are over half the price of port parking.
We have done parkncruise and next go round we will probably do cruise parking of port canaveral. Roughly $6-$7 a day plus tax
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealandsmom View Post
To the OP, if you are interested in saving $, there are offsite parking venues that are over half the price of port parking.
We have done parkncruise and next go round we will probably do cruise parking of port canaveral. Roughly $6-$7 a day plus tax
The OP said she is doing a Wonder Mexican Riviera cruise...this wouldn't apply to her....

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
my2boys2disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
The OP said she is doing a Wonder Mexican Riviera cruise...this wouldn't apply to her....
Thanks for that clarification! Thank you all for the responses. Very helpful!

my2boys2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Yep, stick with the onsite parking for the Port of LA (better security).

A few things have changed between the MR cruise we did in April and the Pixar cruise we did two weeks ago.

1) drop off bags with porters
2) park
3) show paperwork to employee outside door
4) fill out health questionnaire (is now located downstairs, right after you go in the door)
5) go upstairs and they will direct you to the proper line to check in
6) you will receive your boarding number at the checkin desk (I think they changed this so that it matches the port arrival time you selected. 6 months ago it was right before security but two weeks ago we received the boarding card from the check-in agent).
7) go through security and then into waiting room
8) wait for your boarding number to be called.

Hope that helps

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

This thread is very helpful, thanks! We are planning on renting a car to get from Orlando to the Port. I assume my DH can drop off me, our DDs and our luggage near a porter, return the car, then take the rental car shuttle back to the port. Do we need to wait for him outside as we need to all go through the lines inside together? TIA!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
happycorgi
Earning My Ears

Thank you! This is very helpful!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisavince3 View Post
This thread is very helpful, thanks! We are planning on renting a car to get from Orlando to the Port. I assume my DH can drop off me, our DDs and our luggage near a porter, return the car, then take the rental car shuttle back to the port. Do we need to wait for him outside as we need to all go through the lines inside together? TIA!
You can go inside, through security and go to the top of the escalators to wait for him there. Just make sure he has photo id on him so he can get through security when he returns. If he has a passport, you can take it to check in. He will have to get his KTTW photo and his KTTW card once he arrives. If he doesn't have a passport, you will need to wait for him to check in.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite2 View Post
You can go inside, through security and go to the top of the escalators to wait for him there. Just make sure he has photo id on him so he can get through security when he returns. If he has a passport, you can take it to check in. He will have to get his KTTW photo and his KTTW card once he arrives. If he doesn't have a passport, you will need to wait for him to check in.
Thank you so much!!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
jlmarr
You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
Once you are on board, the CMs will announce your family, welcome you, and direct you towards lunch, and let you know when rooms are ready! Everyone is very willing to help, or guide you if you say, "I have no idea where I am"
To the OP: There is a free tour of the ship at about 2:30 on boarding day. We haven't done it but did see the tour group and think it might be very useful for a first timer to get an overview. See the Personal Navigator for details, which will be on the bed in your stateroom. You'll get a new one of these every day. There will also be a Voyage Navigator, which will list highlights for the entire week on one page - formal night/pirates night, what's playing in the big theatre, what ports you'll be in, etc. Don't lose that one.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: