Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 15,741

less than 2 weeks away - just a few more questions

in the final stretch now, just a few questions left:

1. How long does it take to drive to port canaveral from Lake Buena Vista on a Sunday morning? about an hour and a half?

2. How early can i get there? That is, when does the port open?

3. how much are the tolls on 528? as i recall, there are about two tolls on the way to the airport. Are there more toll booths after the airport?
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Angelic Jennifer
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 282

Takes around 1 hr 15 minutes. I'd say around an hour, but I know my way. From LBV, it's actually easier to take the 417 (also toll) to the 528 (toll) to get to the port. I have to go south through Disney to get there, but it is an efficient and easy route.

We got there around 10:30 last year, but they could make you circle until closer to 11 .. Depends on who's working the gate.

I don't know the toll amount .. I have a pass, and don't track the cost. I'm sure someone else will be along to answer that!
__________________
Jennifer
Angelic Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Tolls are about $5 and there are booths that take cash.

It takes an hour or just a bit more.

Terminal supposedly opens at 11, but in reality it opened at 10:25 on our last cruise. Basically it is a matter of when they have "closed out" the previous cruise on the computers and are ready for new guests. They will typically allow you into the port area to park and drop off about 15 minutes before that.

Are you parking at the terminal? If you are using an off site parking (like Park and Cruise), you'll need to allow about 15 minutes for their shuttle.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 15,741

thanks!

i'm parking right at the terminal, in the building with the bridge (i'll park up on the 3rd floor in the handicapped spaces there).
the building wasn't there last time i was , but that's where i understand i should park.

i'll take I4 to 528 because that's the way i know to the airport. I've never been on 417 and i get tense when i go on a new road.
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!
 
ratt1345's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Titletown FL
Posts: 469

From the port, there are two or three more toll places. Each one is either $1.00 or $1.25 each. After the final toll place, it's not that far until you get to I-4 and you would head west on I-4. I should know what the tolls are, I just flew out of OIA 2 months ago!!!! It's not good getting older!!!!
__________________
ratt1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 15,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratt1345 View Post
From the port, there are two or three more toll places. Each one is either $1.00 or $1.25 each. After the final toll place, it's not that far until you get to I-4 and you would head west on I-4. I should know what the tolls are, I just flew out of OIA 2 months ago!!!! It's not good getting older!!!!
thanks!! (yeah, i know that getting old thing! )
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,619

There are 4 tolls between LBV and the port via 417/528 - and they cost $5.00 total each way. The tolls will be slightly less if you take I-4 to 528. I don't like taking I-4/528 because it has a lot more traffic, but go the way that makes you most comfortable.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 15,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
There are 4 tolls between LBV and the port via 417/528 - and they cost $5.00 total each way. The tolls will be slightly less if you take I-4 to 528. I don't like taking I-4/528 because it has a lot more traffic, but go the way that makes you most comfortable.
i figure that on sunday morning the traffic won't be that bad on I4...

i suppose i could take 417 when i get to orlando on sunday....to learn the new road...
but no...i'm coming in at night after traveling for 28 hours straight - not a good idea to try a new road....i'll stick with 528/I4 ...

although i could try 417 when i drive my best friend back to the airport on wednesday...that will be in the middle of the day....we could try 417...
and when i drive back from the airport on wednesday (with my mom and sister - i'm doing a lot of airport driving next week)...
so i could learn that route i suppose...
hmmmmm.....though i really am like a horse going to water....i tend to learn one way and stick to it through thick and thin...
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
alikat99
NO! Don't make me go to Super WalMart!!!
Where, oh where, is that Twilight Zone music?!?!?!?!
 
alikat99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 7,397

We usually take I4/528 and it's right about an hour from Disney to the Port. You're right that it is relatively slow on Sunday mornings and the traffic shouldn't be bad at all.

I don't keep track of the tolls much either, since I have a SunPass, but it's already been reported that it's about $5 and that sounds about right.
__________________
Amy - Annual Passholder/DVC - VWL/AKL member
alikat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
i figure that on sunday morning the traffic won't be that bad on I4...

i suppose i could take 417 when i get to orlando on sunday....to learn the new road...
but no...i'm coming in at night after traveling for 28 hours straight - not a good idea to try a new road....i'll stick with 528/I4 ...

although i could try 417 when i drive my best friend back to the airport on wednesday...that will be in the middle of the day....we could try 417...
and when i drive back from the airport on wednesday (with my mom and sister - i'm doing a lot of airport driving next week)...
so i could learn that route i suppose...
hmmmmm.....though i really am like a horse going to water....i tend to learn one way and stick to it through thick and thin...
Definitely look at a map before you try the 417 route during the day time, because you will first take either 536 or 535 to get onto 417 from WDW - depending on where you start! If you do it on the way back from the airport, just be sure to take the SOUTH airport exit. I usually get off 417 at Exit 6 - which is closest to Epcot and DD. There you'll see how you can continue straight on 536 to WDW, or turn right at the light on 535 to the Crossroads area. If you get off at exit 3 (Osceola Parkway), there's one more toll and it might still be an unmanned booth - so carry some quarters!

Getting onto 417 is most confusing on the way to the airport - especially if you try to follow the signs! If you're just looking for 417 signs to the airport, the signs will take you way south to get on at Osceola Parkway. What you want is 536 that runs into 417, and that is much closer to Downtown Disney.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,857

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat99 View Post
We usually take I4/528 and it's right about an hour from Disney to the Port. You're right that it is relatively slow on Sunday mornings and the traffic shouldn't be bad at all.

I don't keep track of the tolls much either, since I have a SunPass, but it's already been reported that it's about $5 and that sounds about right.
Yes, that's the way we go too. I went to the bank and picked up a roll of quarters. Should be enough to get us there and back.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
mjfisherdc
Mouseketeer
 
mjfisherdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 137

We did this 2 Sundays ago. It took us right at an hour. We left LBV around 7 in the morning (we were excited so we were up and ready!). Got to Cocoa Beach at a little after 8, had breakfast, went to Walmart and we were in the port at 10.
__________________
Me42 DH44 DD9 DS7

CR 1995
POFQ Sept 10
CR Nov 10 (Just me and the kids!!)
GF Jan 11, Celebrate DS 4th b-day - cancelled due to snow causing flight cancellation
WL May 11
Bonnet Creek Sept 11
Disney Dream March 2012 *my big 4-0!! - Cancelled, but rescheduled for September 2012
Bonnet Creek with kids and UDA/UCA competition March 2012
Fantasy Sept 2014
mjfisherdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 15,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat99 View Post
We usually take I4/528 and it's right about an hour from Disney to the Port. You're right that it is relatively slow on Sunday mornings and the traffic shouldn't be bad at all.

I don't keep track of the tolls much either, since I have a SunPass, but it's already been reported that it's about $5 and that sounds about right.
thanks Amy!! if i'm not at the meet, send out the search patrol, i must have gotten lost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Definitely look at a map before you try the 417 route during the day time, because you will first take either 536 or 535 to get onto 417 from WDW - depending on where you start! If you do it on the way back from the airport, just be sure to take the SOUTH airport exit. I usually get off 417 at Exit 6 - which is closest to Epcot and DD. There you'll see how you can continue straight on 536 to WDW, or turn right at the light on 535 to the Crossroads area. If you get off at exit 3 (Osceola Parkway), there's one more toll and it might still be an unmanned booth - so carry some quarters!

Getting onto 417 is most confusing on the way to the airport - especially if you try to follow the signs! If you're just looking for 417 signs to the airport, the signs will take you way south to get on at Osceola Parkway. What you want is 536 that runs into 417, and that is much closer to Downtown Disney.
ok, so that just sounds way too confusing to me!!!!! i'll do the I4/528 thing...
i find the signs in orlando very confusing - no matter how many times i've driven from that airport i ALWAYS manage to make at least one wrong turn getting onto the highway.....every time i say to myself i'll be very careful and then i do it again...and really, i'm a good driver, but those orlando road signs just confuse me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Yes, that's the way we go too. I went to the bank and picked up a roll of quarters. Should be enough to get us there and back.
i stop at the human booths - i already have a bunch of dollars stuck in my purse so i won't forget (as opposed to foreign currency or the large bills they give you when you exchange money)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfisherdc View Post
We did this 2 Sundays ago. It took us right at an hour. We left LBV around 7 in the morning (we were excited so we were up and ready!). Got to Cocoa Beach at a little after 8, had breakfast, went to Walmart and we were in the port at 10.
was the port open at 10? any coffee places near the port if we get there too early? like a panera or starbucks?
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran
 
zealandsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 40 miles from WDW
Posts: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family

thanks Amy!! if i'm not at the meet, send out the search patrol, i must have gotten lost!!

ok, so that just sounds way too confusing to me!!!!! i'll do the I4/528 thing...
i find the signs in orlando very confusing - no matter how many times i've driven from that airport i ALWAYS manage to make at least one wrong turn getting onto the highway.....every time i say to myself i'll be very careful and then i do it again...and really, i'm a good driver, but those orlando road signs just confuse me....

i stop at the human booths - i already have a bunch of dollars stuck in my purse so i won't forget (as opposed to foreign currency or the large bills they give you when you exchange money)....

was the port open at 10? any coffee places near the port if we get there too early? like a panera or starbucks?
Closest Starbucks is like 15 minutes away.....6.5 miles
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,332

You asked when the port opens but I don't see what your port arrival time is posted. If you do not have the 11:00-11:30 PAT, you may be asked to wait outside. Also, your boarding number is tied to your PAT, so if you arrive early and check in at the terminal before that time, you will have to wait for your boarding number before you can actually board the ship.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.