Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #271
tamelahansen
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8

crazy4mickey

I am freaking out also. I made it to round 2 two years ago. It was so depressing when i got the rejection letter. I at different times of the day. That makes the anticipation even worse.
tamelahansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #272
Jump4Joy8390
DVC Owners since 2008
 
Jump4Joy8390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
The most difficult question they asked me was "What makes you unique to the panel?" I hadn't thought about that before so I went on for like 15 minutes about how passionate I was about trip planning and Disney. Afterwards I realized that although it was all true, passion is one thing that is NOT unique to this group at all. So, if you make it to Round 2 and 3 this year, think about what makes YOU different than all the other moms panelists.
Thanks for this sneak peek into the phone interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
I have interviewed both women and men and the men NEVER have a hard time with that question. They always give me several reasons I should hire them. The women, however, never want to toot their own horn and fight for themselves.
Maybe we should ask the men in our lives to answer the question, in their words, but from our perspective!
__________________
Me DH DD13
2007 - Saratoga Springs / All Star Music / 2008 - Disney Magic / Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Vero Beach / Beach Club Villas / Saratoga Springs (Feb/Mar) / Caribbean Beach (Aug)
2010 - Boardwalk Villas / Disney Wonder / Saratoga Springs (Feb/Mar) Kidani Village / Wilderness Lodge (Dec)
2011 - Pop Century / Vero Beach / Disney Dream / Old Key West (Mar) / Kidani Village / Port Orleans French Quarter / Saratoga Springs (Aug)
2012 - Boardwalk Villas / Disney Dream / Vero Beach / Saratoga Springs
2013 - Bay Lake Tower / Disney Fantasy / Beach Club Villas (Mar) / Coronado Springs /Jambo House / Saratoga Springs (Aug)
2014 - Art of Animation / Villas at the Grand Floridian / Disney Magic / Old Key West / Port Orleans Riverside (Mar)
/ Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs (Sep)
Jump4Joy8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #273
MickeyAffair
Earning My Ears
 
MickeyAffair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
For some reason I can't find my Round 2 acceptance letter from last year, but the year before I received it on October 12th which I believe was a Tuesday. Then, I got the "Congratulations" email for moving onto Round 3 on October 26th. Last year I remember being on pins and needles waiting for the Round 3 email because it didn't come until 8 days after I had gotten it the year before. Torture!!! And as others have mentioned, the worst part about that email was that the subject line was almost identical to my Round 3 acceptance letter from the year before, only that this time it was a rejection letter. I think my problem from last year was that I applied for the DVC panel even though I haven't used my points to stay anywhere other than at Disney Resorts. So I know there were many more people that had used their points for lots of different experiences and had been a member for much longer than I had. This year I went back to my roots and stuck with the WDW panel, so I'm really really hoping to make it back to Round 3 again!! The 1 minute video is not as hard as you think. :-) They just want to see you be yourself and talk about a favorite WDW memory. I was a WRECK during my phone interview which did not help my situation, lol. The most difficult question they asked me was "What makes you unique to the panel?" I hadn't thought about that before so I went on for like 15 minutes about how passionate I was about trip planning and Disney. Afterwards I realized that although it was all true, passion is one thing that is NOT unique to this group at all. So, if you make it to Round 2 and 3 this year, think about what makes YOU different than all the other moms panelists.
Thanks! That is very helpful for us all. I know it may change from year to year, but gives us something to think on...what makes each of us unique.
__________________
Nikki

DH

DS

DD
MickeyAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #274
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran
 
MamaCrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Just North of Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,444

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
For some reason I can't find my Round 2 acceptance letter from last year, but the year before I received it on October 12th which I believe was a Tuesday. Then, I got the "Congratulations" email for moving onto Round 3 on October 26th. Last year I remember being on pins and needles waiting for the Round 3 email because it didn't come until 8 days after I had gotten it the year before. Torture!!! And as others have mentioned, the worst part about that email was that the subject line was almost identical to my Round 3 acceptance letter from the year before, only that this time it was a rejection letter. I think my problem from last year was that I applied for the DVC panel even though I haven't used my points to stay anywhere other than at Disney Resorts. So I know there were many more people that had used their points for lots of different experiences and had been a member for much longer than I had. This year I went back to my roots and stuck with the WDW panel, so I'm really really hoping to make it back to Round 3 again!! The 1 minute video is not as hard as you think. :-) They just want to see you be yourself and talk about a favorite WDW memory. I was a WRECK during my phone interview which did not help my situation, lol. The most difficult question they asked me was "What makes you unique to the panel?" I hadn't thought about that before so I went on for like 15 minutes about how passionate I was about trip planning and Disney. Afterwards I realized that although it was all true, passion is one thing that is NOT unique to this group at all. So, if you make it to Round 2 and 3 this year, think about what makes YOU different than all the other moms panelists.
Thanks so muich for that insight. I would be thrown for a loop with that questions also. I may have a tough time coming up with a good answer even with the heads up!
__________________
My Blog: A Disneyfied Life

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #275
tiana&naveen&3
Earning My Ears
 
tiana&naveen&3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033



I have interviewed both women and men and the men NEVER have a hard time with that question. They always give me several reasons I should hire them. The women, however, never want to toot their own horn and fight for themselves.
This is such a true assessment!
tiana&naveen&3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #276
tiana&naveen&3
Earning My Ears
 
tiana&naveen&3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump4Joy8390

Thanks for this sneak peek into the phone interview!

Maybe we should ask the men in our lives to answer the question, in their words, but from our perspective!
I like that idea, for real ;-)
tiana&naveen&3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #277
rmoonkelly
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe999pink View Post
Well anytime then!
... I sure hopeso ... I am becoming a "lurker"!
rmoonkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #278
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
I absolutely agree that this is a very hard question. I have interviewed many people throughout my career and I ALWAYS ask "Why should I hire you?" (which is the kissing cousin to "What makes you unique?").

The reason I ask this questions is not because I was to hear something that is necessarily unique, I want to hear them form a coherent agrument for themselves.

I have interviewed both women and men and the men NEVER have a hard time with that question. They always give me several reasons I should hire them. The women, however, never want to toot their own horn and fight for themselves.
That's a really great question, and a really interesting observation about men vs. women when interviewing. What are some of the best ways women have handled themselves in your interviews, do you think? I'm really fascinated by this!
DopeyDame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #279
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Carlisle, Indiana
Posts: 1,123

I just got an email from Disney!!!!!



It was for some new show called "Dog with a Blog" premiering Friday. REALLY?!?!?!?!?

So not the Disney email I was wanting. UGH!!!!
__________________
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 2014 - Christmas - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #280
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
I just got an email from Disney!!!!!



It was for some new show called "Dog with a Blog" premiering Friday. REALLY?!?!?!?!?

So not the Disney email I was wanting. UGH!!!!

I just had a very similar experience. To make matters worse, it was a pin code sent to my email - but for my parents. And its the pin code I was hoping for .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #281
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I just had a very similar experience. To make matters worse, it was a pin code sent to my email - but for my parents. And its the pin code I was hoping for .
Sounds like your parents need to take you on a trip to Disney!
DopeyDame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #282
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
Sounds like your parents need to take you on a trip to Disney!
Good idea!
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #283
TheDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
TheDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
For some reason I can't find my Round 2 acceptance letter from last year, but the year before I received it on October 12th which I believe was a Tuesday. Then, I got the "Congratulations" email for moving onto Round 3 on October 26th. Last year I remember being on pins and needles waiting for the Round 3 email because it didn't come until 8 days after I had gotten it the year before. Torture!!! And as others have mentioned, the worst part about that email was that the subject line was almost identical to my Round 3 acceptance letter from the year before, only that this time it was a rejection letter. I think my problem from last year was that I applied for the DVC panel even though I haven't used my points to stay anywhere other than at Disney Resorts. So I know there were many more people that had used their points for lots of different experiences and had been a member for much longer than I had. This year I went back to my roots and stuck with the WDW panel, so I'm really really hoping to make it back to Round 3 again!! The 1 minute video is not as hard as you think. :-) They just want to see you be yourself and talk about a favorite WDW memory. I was a WRECK during my phone interview which did not help my situation, lol. The most difficult question they asked me was "What makes you unique to the panel?" I hadn't thought about that before so I went on for like 15 minutes about how passionate I was about trip planning and Disney. Afterwards I realized that although it was all true, passion is one thing that is NOT unique to this group at all. So, if you make it to Round 2 and 3 this year, think about what makes YOU different than all the other moms panelists.
Wow!!! Thanks for this!! I would have fainted because I wouldn't have known what to say!!! I'm definitely asking DH for help on this one!!
TheDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #284
dizneygirl1991
DisneyLady1991
 
dizneygirl1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I just had a very similar experience. To make matters worse, it was a pin code sent to my email - but for my parents. And its the pin code I was hoping for .
I have all my 'Disney' Emails going into one folder...and I have been having similar experiences all week. My latest email was from Disney Pictures advertising the Lone Ranger Trailer. Sigh.

Thanks to Mel for making this board.

Back to the kiddies and waiting for a particular Disney Email.
__________________
Blog: www.dailyvacationmagic.com
Twitter: @yearroundmagic


First Trip 1991 WDW * 1992 WDW * 1996 WDW * 1999 WDW * 2000 DL * 2002 WDW * 2008 WDW * 2009 WDW * 2010 DCL * 2010 WDW * 2010 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2012 WDW * 2012 WDW * future 2013 DLR!!

Proud DVC Member BLT since 2010
Disney Resorts: BLT, BWV, BWI, WL, AKV, Poly, GF, CONT, POR
Disney Cruises: Magic

(me) (DH) (DS10) (DD7) (DD7)
dizneygirl1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #285
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Carlisle, Indiana
Posts: 1,123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
That's a really great question, and a really interesting observation about men vs. women when interviewing. What are some of the best ways women have handled themselves in your interviews, do you think? I'm really fascinated by this!
Like the OP said, rambling is the thing I see most. The interviewees aren't sure what their own strengths are so they ramble among the trivial stuff. Everyone has strengths. Any who can relay them in an articulate, SUCCINCT way will be on the top of my recommended hire list.

To the OP, I believe if I was asking you the question about what makes you unique, I would not have any problem with you saying what makes you unique is your strong passion for Disney if it was stated it in a clear, concise, fact-driven way.

In the banking world we call them 'elevator speeches'. Imagine the scenario, you happen to jump on an elevator at Disney with the Pink Princess herself. You have 30 seconds, OR LESS, to articulate your passion for Disney. What would you say?

Here is an elevator speech template:

Opening sentence of introduction: (Hello, Laura *shakes hands maintaining eye contact*, my name is Betsy Turnbuckle.)

State your purpose in one or two short, straight-forward sentences: (I have applied for the Disney Mom Panel. I feel I would be a great addition to the Panel because I have a strong passion for all that is Disney.

State three reasons why you feel that is true: FACT #1: Number of times visited, FACT #2: you have been visiting since you were a kid, FACT #3: Mickey Mouse is your best friend.

Closing sentence: Thank you for the opportunity to chat with you today and thank you for considering me for the Mom Panel.

If you use this template on all scenarios such as the telephone interview, you will never go wrong!!!
__________________
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 2014 - Christmas - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney

Last edited by Suzanne033; 10-10-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: