Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

Disney on the cheap with 3 5 and under with a resort?

What are some special things we can do in conjuction that free?
What was your favorite resort (we want to rent DCV points) and why?
what did you or didnt you find useful?
Our son is autistic where are some places for him to get down time besides the resort?

Anything else you want to add?

We are doing it as a BIG family birthday present since 4 of us are in a 3 week span.

The kids will be:
2 (turns 3 a month after our trip)
11 mths (turns 1 2 days after the 2 year old)

Last edited by bbinnsGA; 10-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.
bbinnsGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

While renting DVC points is GREAT and gives you so much room, if this trip really needs to be a budget trip, this would be the time to try a cheaper choice on site. You guys would fit into a value resort room since only one of your under three kids will count. Pop is our favorite value.

Plan for a off season time. With young kids, you don't have to worry about school. Choose a value season time and try for free dining. Your youngest two eat free off buffet and family style places and there is plenty of food to share with the little ones at other places.

The disability board has a lot of parents who have children on the spectrum and will have tons of good advice about over stimulation in the parks.

Happy Planning!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

We are trying to keep it under 3K all together and plan on drive so no plane tickets or anything and we are bringing our own food for some of it, sharing a photopass.

I know to rent (@ 13 a point) value at AKL with our base tickets for 7 days without a meal plan is 2k.
If we stay at music with park hopper and a dining plan is 2400. We arent sure about the dining plan since we live 5 hrs away I plan to precook casseroles and reheatables for some dinners and do lunch in the park with bringing our own snacks and what not.

I am working with a Dis travel agent (themagicforless) and they said they might be able to get us free dining which will sway us honestly. If we can get free dining but cant stay in AKL NBD. We would still be at DISNEY!!!

The time frame is pretty firm (mid may) because we have a friend coming from Canada that we want to go with.

Our first family trip in May 2013!
We will be celebrating 5 birthdays and our 3 year anniversary!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

While the DVC resorts are all really nice, the reality of going back to the room for meals just really doesn't work out that well for most people. To get back to the front of the park you are in, wait for the bus, get back to your room, cook and eat and go back into the park will take LOTS of time. Even if you drive you own car to and from the parks you will spend a lot of time transporting if you don't eat in the parks.

No travel agent can GET free food for you. I know, I am a travel agent. You can only get free food IF they offer it for your time frame, and then anyone can get it, not just your travel agent. You can go back and see what types of deals were offered for May in the past at www.mousesavers.com

Free food would really be your best deal and save you the most money. Or, there may be a room discount for your dates. Then you would have to crunch the numbers to see which deal is the best for you. The dining plan is awesome, kids love the character meals

As for as free things to do, yes, you can swim, go to Downtown Disney to shop, ect. However, you need to realize that after you buy a 3 or 4 day ticket the addition price to add another day or two is very, very small. It is more than worth it to go ahead and buy enough tickets for every day of your trip and then just do partial days if you do decide to eat and relax in your room.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous, but many people feel that a value room is a better deal for families with young kids. They LOVE the colorful/fun value resorts and honestly all most people do in the room is bathe and sleep anyway.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

What size DVC unit are you looking at? Does it even have a full kitchen and a real stove for cooking casseroles??
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

We are getting 7 day tickets either way because I WILL be spending all 7 days in some fashion at a park .

I plan to precook them and reheat in the microwave we are a fmaily who loves leftovers so i know the ones that cook good then reheat good that fill us up.

We were looking at the value size room.

By free I meant they might be able to snag the free dining meal plan for us when it comes out

Thats what I keep thinking about the AKL but i know my older two would LOVE the safari animals outside of our room sometimes.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbinnsGA View Post
We are getting 7 day tickets either way because I WILL be spending all 7 days in some fashion at a park .

I plan to precook them and reheat in the microwave we are a fmaily who loves leftovers so i know the ones that cook good then reheat good that fill us up.

We were looking at the value size room.

By free I meant they might be able to snag the free dining meal plan for us when it comes out

Thats what I keep thinking about the AKL but i know my older two would LOVE the safari animals outside of our room sometimes.
Just keep in mind that you CANNOT get free dining or even buy the dining plan if you rent DVC points. Free dining is only avaiable when you pay the regular room rate at any of the resorts (DVC or otherwise)

Sorry, I have to force my kids to eat leftovers. They are pretty good eaters and we rarely eat out at home. But at Disney dining in the restaurants for character meals or the countries in Epcot or whatever is a big part of the FUN for us. And no cleaning up afterwards.

It is great to sit and enjoy an awesome meal and then get right back out into the park!!

I agree the animals are great, but you could always go eat a meal there even if you don't stay at AKL. We just never spend that much time in the room when we go!!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

I think we will just stay at the music resort then. Good point of going there to eat! Can you go there and just walk around?

WHen we went as kids (hubby has only been ONCE and a one day quick MK trip that him and I took with my ss and my odd) but always ate out of park so Ive never been to charecter dining either. I think Im just going to have to tell hubby how it is LOL.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

even if you cant get free dining is the dining plan worth it? Ive heard both yes and no.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
cvjw
DIS Veteran

You need to double check the occupancy levels for the room types that you are considering. If all of the people in your ticker are going on your trip, you have too many people for one room. You can have 4 people plus one child under the age of 3 in a DVC studio or a value resort room. You may have to get a larger size room if your whole family is going on the vacation.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
You need to double check the occupancy levels for the room types that you are considering. If all of the people in your ticker are going on your trip, you have too many people for one room. You can have 4 people plus one child under the age of 3 in a DVC studio or a value resort room. You may have to get a larger size room if your whole family is going on the vacation.
My stepson wont be going with us. Just our 3 that are going to be 5 and under.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceemouse View Post
Just keep in mind that you CANNOT get free dining or even buy the dining plan if you rent DVC points. Free dining is only avaiable when you pay the regular room rate at any of the resorts (DVC or otherwise)
!!
We rented DVC points and had the dining plan - the person we rented from had to put it on our reservation (not free). It was worth it to us, because at the time, 4 of our kids were under 10. OP, if I were you, I'd get it, and make a buffet ADR every day, and all 5 of you can eat what you want, with 2 adults and 1 child on it.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

I think we are going to go with the dining it makes things easier I think then tracking down cheap places when you are hungry.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

There are not very many value rooms at AKV. There are 10 2-bedroom lockoffs and 8 dedicated studios. They are all located in Jambo House (not Kidani) and you pretty much have to make your arrangements by renting your points from a DVC member, who owns at AKV, on or before 11 months prior to the first day of your vacation. The book up quickly because many DVC owners prefer to stay in the villas that require the fewest number of points. It stretches their points out and makes it possible to visit Disney more often!

If you think that renting points is the way you want to go, make sure that you familiarize yourself with all of the negatives that go along with renting points. For instance, you don't get daily housekeeping without paying an additional fee. You will have to pay the DVC member in full when they make the reservation. You will most likely not be able to get a refund if you have to cancel, especially if that cancellation occurs with 60 days or less to go before your stay begins.

But on the positive side, you CAN rent points and buy the dining plan. It just involves paying the member for the plan before they add it on to the reservation. Members are required to pay for the dining plan at the time that they book it. The dining plan can be added to the reservation as late as 72 hours prior to check in. But not every owner is willing to do it under such short notice. If you want to rent points and get the dining plan, make sure that you know what the owner can do or is willing to do for you.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

what are the other negatives to renting?

Weve never done it and have never stayed on property.

Thats good to know about AKL. I think thats the only reason my husband wanted to rent but not sure LOL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: