Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

OT - looking after pugs and one ate a cat toy

So, I am looking after DS and DDIL pugs while they go on their belated honeymoon/anniversary. They have been gone all of four hours and one of the pugs ate two full covered bells that belong to the cats.

What do I do, will it go through him? I don't even know where they go to the vet because they have only lived in the city they are in for a couple of months and I am here from out of town looking after the dogs.

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
holden
DIS Veteran

Keep a close eye on him. It could block his intestines. If he starts throwing up and loses his appetite, take him to the vet right away.
DD - 7
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Mickey1Fan

Thank you. That is pretty much what I was thinking and am worried about. Stupid Dog! The two of the were chewing particle board earlier too! It is going to be a very long week!

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Can you call your DS and ask what they want you to do? Find out who their vet is in case you have to go there? If it was me, I'd want a call.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
gate_pourri
I am Crusty Gizzardsprinkles, pleased to meet you
I admit, I am a pickle cutter. If I have the ability to cut my pickle, I will cut my pickle

I have no advice, but wanted to share one of my new fav. websites: www.dog-shaming.com, which can hopefully give you a good laugh and make you realize you aren't alone.
gate_pourri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Mickey1Fan

I would call but they have gone to Cuba and did not take their phones. I also have no idea where they are staying! Great Mom aren't I. I will look around for vet information. So far dog seems OK but it is early. Tomorrow when I let them out in the morning I'll watch him!

I could use a laugh so will check out site tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

It must have been very good if it ate 2 of them! Poor Grandma. what was covering the bell? are we talking those plastic balls that are like ping pong ball size but are like a cage around the bell?

If that is what you mean as long as he crunched it up pretty well he should be ok. If he swallowed any big pieces I would just be worried if they were sharp. The bells should go thru him ok they aren't big. I'd just keep an eye out if he starts acting like he is in pain in case a sharp piece lodged somewhere.

I love my dog like crazy but I'm sorry they are so stupid about the things they will eat! Unless it is the high priced food you just bought and then oh no I won't eat that but find a treat in the litter box and it is yum yum! or 1/2 a dead bird in the yard.

My dog loves Kleenex with the used ones being preferred

And as a puppy cost us quite a bit at the emergency vet when she decided to eat a tampon.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health...y-do-need.html

Take a look at that thread (will have to scroll down towards the bottom). This dog sounds similar in size to what your pugs probably are. It recommends using hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. I can vouch for how well that works having used it with foster puppies before. It looks like you're still in the timeframe that it should come up. Good luck!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Mickey1Fan

horseshowmom - thank you, imagine another stupid dog eating bells, who would have thought. I'll give him olive oil, it is too late to induce vomitting at this point.

Hannathy - the bells are little and covered in what I think is rabbit fur. The other one eats the treats found in the litter box - LOL. Furball sitting grandpuppies is more challenging than I thought.

A friends puppy ate an entire leather belt - it cost them a lot too in emergency surgery. I hope this bell goes through him and that it happens before DS and DDIL are back.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

That fur thing isn't going to pass I fear. And The one eating cat poop could become a big issue too! I would get him to a vet ASAP.

When we took our Frenchie to the Er vet the place was full of "my dog ate" cases.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
DisLis
Mouseketeer

I think calling the vet would be reassuring. If there is something you need to do, they will let you know and you can stop worrying.
Wild animals eat fur all the time. All things come to pass.
DisLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Disney st8 of mind
Mouseketeer

A little off topic, but am I the only one who thinks that OP is being a little hard on herself? Who in this day and age would leave the country and expect someone from out of town to come to their home and be in charge of all of their worldly posessions, icluding two living animals, and not leave them any info on where they are staying, any way to be contacted, or vet information for their pets??!! It seems to me that it was DS and DDIL that were irresponsible in this situation.

Last edited by Disney st8 of mind; 10-06-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Disney st8 of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney st8 of mind View Post
A little of topic, but am I the only one who thinks that OP is being a little hard on herself? Who in this day and age would leave the country and expect someone from out of town to come to their home and be in charge of all of their worldly posessions, icluding two living animals, and not leave them any info on where they are staying, any way to be contacted, or vet information for their pets??!! It seems to me that it was DS and DDIL that were irresponsible in this situation.
I thought so as well. I always leave two contacts plus vet info and emergency after hours vet info. I would call a local vet and ask just to be on the save side.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Mickey1Fan

It did not occur to me that I would require a vet but to be honest it would have been good information for them to have left. So far dog is OK, I'll see how he does in the next day or two, I did read on the link from horseshowmom that it could take up to five day to pass the bell and what to look for. The dogs eat a raw food diet so hopefully the fur and bell will go right through. I think the fur will be broken down by stomach acid, it is really the bell I'm not sure about.

I could probably track them down since I know the travel agent who booked their trip at the same time I do not want to contact them because DDIL would want to be on next flight home and they have waited too long for this belated honeymoon.

I have not looked for the vet information yet but I am sure it is around.

I know dogs that have eaten much worse.

Oh, and the other one will eat cat poop if given the opportunity, it is kept well away from her.

Thank you for the support!

Last edited by Mickey1Fan; 10-06-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Disney st8 of mind
Mouseketeer

I'm glad (or grossed out) to see that my dog wasn't the only stupid one to get in the cat box. We learned real quick to keep that room guarded by a baby gate! My DH once referred to the dog as a "turd burgler"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: