Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

What do you tip for luggage?

We travel with only one suitcase for our family of 4. What would you tip?
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Hfamly
Earning My Ears

Give me a tip on how you pack for a family of 4 in one suitcase! I thought I was doing good only taking 1 per person...lol. Will be going on the Dream tomorrow and was wondering the same thing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

We tip $2/bag or $1 for small carry-on size.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfamly
Give me a tip on how you pack for a family of 4 in one suitcase! I thought I was doing good only taking 1 per person...lol. Will be going on the Dream tomorrow and was wondering the same thing.
It's a fairly large luggage, the kids get one side and DH and I get the other. I also packed fe gifts last cruise. We overpacked last time even!!! My kids are 4 an 5 so their clothes are small. We don't take princess dresses and just 1 extra pair of shoes per person from what we wear on board. We carry on a bag of swim stuff and a book bag of alcoholic beverages
Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfamly View Post
On the 15-day Hawaiian cruise a couple at our table had only one carry-on each. No checked luggage. The mind boggles.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

We tip $20 for 6 of us. We managed to get 6 of us into 2 bags for a 4 day, and 1 bag for a 3 day. Oddly enough, our luggage was sitting right next to our door each time we got to our room with no other bags in sight.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

A normal tip is $1-2 per bag.

Perspective--your stateroom host gets $4 per person per day, so for us that is $8 per day. For that, he cleans the room twice, does our luggage handling, etc. That's a lot more than the 5 minutes the porters spend getting your bag(s) from the curb to the ship. I don't begrudge them their tips, but some of what I read seems high at $10+ per family.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer
We tip $20 for 6 of us. We managed to get 6 of us into 2 bags for a 4 day, and 1 bag for a 3 day. Oddly enough, our luggage was sitting right next to our door each time we got to our room with no other bags in sight.
We tipped the same amount and our bags were outside our rooms when we got to our rooms at 1:30. Wonder how often suitcases show up after 4 for those who stiff or tip $1 a bag.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

More likely it is that pdwimmer was in concierge (per previous posts). The porters don't take your luggage to your stateroom--the stateroom hosts do that after they have the rooms ready for incoming guests. The porters only take the bags to the holding area on the ship!

The other key is that bags actually dropped off with the porters seem to arrive sooner than those transported on a DCL/Mears truck from WDW or MCO. Having used both systems....just my experience.

Last edited by kcashner; 10-06-2012 at 04:03 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

The porters don't actually drop the bags off do they! dcl staff does that right?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
More likely it is that pdwimmer was in concierge (per previous posts). The porters don't take your luggage to your stateroom--the stateroom hosts do that after they have the rooms ready for incoming guests. The porters only take the bags to the holding area on the ship!
We did concierge last February. But then we were on Deck 7 in September. (By the way, the service in both was excellent!!! Couldn't really tell the difference other than the size of the room for anyone who is curious :-))

I think the tip does make a difference as it makes a difference on where in the queue the bags get placed. In concierge they just magically appeared and I had no idea where they stored them. But on Deck 7 we walked right past the room where bags were stored when brought up from the dock. There were hundreds of bags in the room. But only a handful of bags had been delivered. Who knows????? In any event, it is what it is. $1-2 per bag is a reasonable courtesy tip.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
A normal tip is $1-2 per bag.

Perspective--your stateroom host gets $4 per person per day, so for us that is $8 per day. For that, he cleans the room twice, does our luggage handling, etc. That's a lot more than the 5 minutes the porters spend getting your bag(s) from the curb to the ship. I don't begrudge them their tips, but some of what I read seems high at $10+ per family.
That really does put it in perspective. It's kind of similar to hotels. The guy that takes your bags up to your room gets 1-2/bag, valet gets a minimum of $5, your waiter gets a 15 to 20% tip, but most people forget to tip the housekeeping. Housekeeping spends the most time doing something for you, but tend to get the least tip. Please all remember that when the tip envelopes come out. Tip what you can and be courteous to those that are helping make your vacation as stress free as possible.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We tip $1 per bag when we drop them off at the curb with the porters. We tip at least $2 per bag when we have a porter help us get all our luggage, including carryons, through customs and to our car in the garage, even loading the luggage into the back of the van. That usually comes to $20, but since we have two kids it has been priceless to have the porter do this and have us be able to get them settled in their seats and not have to mess with the luggage before heading out on our 12-hour drive home.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer View Post
We did concierge last February. But then we were on Deck 7 in September. (By the way, the service in both was excellent!!! Couldn't really tell the difference other than the size of the room for anyone who is curious :-))

I think the tip does make a difference as it makes a difference on where in the queue the bags get placed. In concierge they just magically appeared and I had no idea where they stored them. But on Deck 7 we walked right past the room where bags were stored when brought up from the dock. There were hundreds of bags in the room. But only a handful of bags had been delivered. Who knows????? In any event, it is what it is. $1-2 per bag is a reasonable courtesy tip.
Well, somebody has to have their bag delivered first, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer View Post
That really does put it in perspective. It's kind of similar to hotels. The guy that takes your bags up to your room gets 1-2/bag, valet gets a minimum of $5, your waiter gets a 15 to 20% tip, but most people forget to tip the housekeeping. Housekeeping spends the most time doing something for you, but tend to get the least tip. Please all remember that when the tip envelopes come out. Tip what you can and be courteous to those that are helping make your vacation as stress free as possible.
Housekeeping is not a tipped position in most hotels. That is why most people do not tip them.

OP, we tip about $1 per bag no matter where we are, ship, shuttle driver, hotel. If you need anything in your bag sooner I would suggest carrying it with you rather than trying to tip more and thinking you will get your bag sooner. For only one bag I would probably give $2-3.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We usually tip $2 per bag when we are getting on the ship. We tip more (usually $3 to $4 per bag) when we leave the ship & the porter takes our bags through Customs & out to our car.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: