Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
krismanda
Mouseketeer

We're baaaack...overall great time!

I'm too lazy to do a full on trip report, but here is a quick summary of ours. I always enjoy reading other peoples'! We stayed 8d/7n at Coronado Springs with our 5 year old and 9 month old.

Disney customer service is awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading so many mixed reviews, but I can honestly say we didn't have a negative experience all week as far as employees/policies go. I'm not a polyanna type person, but I was really impressed. I saw a lot of cm that went above and beyond...particularly with the kiddos.

The weather....omg, how do people live in Florida? I felt like I needed a shower before I got to the bus stop each morning. I thought October would be ok, but it was gross. lol I don't know how people go during June or July, I really can't imagine. All future trips will be winter trips!

The resort...Coronado Springs gets kind of an "eh" from me. Although the lake and landscaping was very pretty, and the pool/kids' area is wonderful, overall I think I would have preferred to stay elsewhere. It is huge and we were in the back 40. It was a solid 10 min walk, maybe more like 15 with the kids, to get up to the front and the excessive bus stops got annoying. I'd prefer something smaller and with different theming. The staff was very nice though and no complaints about the service.

Dining - I've heard many times that quickservice at Disney is better than the table service, but my experience was the opposite. I think the only quickservice meal I had that I enjoyed was a sandwich from Starring Rolls at HS. Well, I also really liked the Wolfgang Puck Express, but not sure Disney gets credit for that? I was really disappointed in Yak and Yeti and Sunshine Seasons, which get very positive reviews on the Dis for the most part. Sunshine Seasons in particular was barely edible. All of our table service meals were pretty solid.

The parks - Animal Kingdom was my favorite by far. I thought it was a really nice mix of shows/rides and I liked the scenery and the animals. I felt really overwhelmed my Magic Kingdom. It was so busy and I felt like I did a lot of aimless wandering. I needed a better plan for this park. lol We spent 2 days there and there were many attractions I know we didn't do and some I probably wasn't even aware of. I liked Hollywood studios but because there are so many shows I found it difficult to time things. I felt like we were trying to run to catch the start of something all day. We didn't get to see all the shows we wanted to. Epcot....I had really mixed feelings about this park. I liked the world showcase a lot! I found it so interesting to wander around. The rest of the park seemed like the ugly stepsister of theme parks. It seems so outdated and tacky. From the attractions, to the decor. It just looked like a dump, imo.

Shopping - It seemed like every gift shop pretty much carried the same things (outside of the ones found in world showcase). Considering just how many shops there are, I was a bit disappointed. My dd got a ton of junk, but at the end of the week I realized I hadn't bought a single thing for myself. I just never saw anything I liked. I also thought it surprising that they didn't have much merchandise aimed for infants. I wanted to buy something for my ds and my niece/nephew. I saw a few ugly onesies. To be honest with you, the Disney clothing at Target is a lot cuter than most of what I saw at dw, I was really surprised.

This trip was for my dd's 5th birthday and it was really special. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique was definitely a highlight for her. We all had a blast. I look forward to going back for ds' 5th birthday!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
ABtwinmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismanda View Post
I'm too lazy to do a full on trip report, but here is a quick summary of ours. I always enjoy reading other peoples'! We stayed 8d/7n at Coronado Springs with our 5 year old and 9 month old.

Disney customer service is awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading so many mixed reviews, but I can honestly say we didn't have a negative experience all week as far as employees/policies go. I'm not a polyanna type person, but I was really impressed. I saw a lot of cm that went above and beyond...particularly with the kiddos.

The weather....omg, how do people live in Florida? I felt like I needed a shower before I got to the bus stop each morning. I thought October would be ok, but it was gross. lol I don't know how people go during June or July, I really can't imagine. All future trips will be winter trips!

The resort...Coronado Springs gets kind of an "eh" from me. Although the lake and landscaping was very pretty, and the pool/kids' area is wonderful, overall I think I would have preferred to stay elsewhere. It is huge and we were in the back 40. It was a solid 10 min walk, maybe more like 15 with the kids, to get up to the front and the excessive bus stops got annoying. I'd prefer something smaller and with different theming. The staff was very nice though and no complaints about the service.

Dining - I've heard many times that quickservice at Disney is better than the table service, but my experience was the opposite. I think the only quickservice meal I had that I enjoyed was a sandwich from Starring Rolls at HS. Well, I also really liked the Wolfgang Puck Express, but not sure Disney gets credit for that? I was really disappointed in Yak and Yeti and Sunshine Seasons, which get very positive reviews on the Dis for the most part. Sunshine Seasons in particular was barely edible. All of our table service meals were pretty solid.

The parks - Animal Kingdom was my favorite by far. I thought it was a really nice mix of shows/rides and I liked the scenery and the animals. I felt really overwhelmed my Magic Kingdom. It was so busy and I felt like I did a lot of aimless wandering. I needed a better plan for this park. lol We spent 2 days there and there were many attractions I know we didn't do and some I probably wasn't even aware of. I liked Hollywood studios but because there are so many shows I found it difficult to time things. I felt like we were trying to run to catch the start of something all day. We didn't get to see all the shows we wanted to. Epcot....I had really mixed feelings about this park. I liked the world showcase a lot! I found it so interesting to wander around. The rest of the park seemed like the ugly stepsister of theme parks. It seems so outdated and tacky. From the attractions, to the decor. It just looked like a dump, imo.

Shopping - It seemed like every gift shop pretty much carried the same things (outside of the ones found in world showcase). Considering just how many shops there are, I was a bit disappointed. My dd got a ton of junk, but at the end of the week I realized I hadn't bought a single thing for myself. I just never saw anything I liked. I also thought it surprising that they didn't have much merchandise aimed for infants. I wanted to buy something for my ds and my niece/nephew. I saw a few ugly onesies. To be honest with you, the Disney clothing at Target is a lot cuter than most of what I saw at dw, I was really surprised.

This trip was for my dd's 5th birthday and it was really special. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique was definitely a highlight for her. We all had a blast. I look forward to going back for ds' 5th birthday!
Sounds like you had a great trip!

I have to agree with you on the weather. We went in early March and thought it got way too hot midday. We are trying February this year.

I also agree with everything you said about dining QS vs TS. With the exception of WPE, which was wondeful I did not particularly love any QS meals.

For your next trip, if you are looking for another mod resort, I highly recommend POFQ. It is very small, one bus stop, everything is close no matter where you are. It is great for young kids. And it really is a beautiful resort. I don't think that pictures do it justice. Also has a lovely boat ride to DTD.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
Planning next trip to my happy place ~ Jan/Feb 2014-CR/BC
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
zeferjen
Mother Knows Best

Love reading 'just back' reports. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Sounds like you had a great trip and figured out what you want to do differently next time. We are heading down in 11 days and I really hope that humidity is gone I can do the heat a bit, but I hate that humidity!
I am one of the folks who love the CS options. We have had the dining plan and have done CS by choice both times. When we dont do the plan, we still mainly eat CS except for a couple of TS buffet breakfasts. I am not a fan of the sit downs for dinners.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
wahoostampingirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting. I love reading the "just back" posts. Can't wait to do one myself next month!

I'll agree with you about Sunshine Seasons...I'm not sure why it always gets such rave reviews. Most of the entrees just don't appeal to me. However, there are lots of CS places that my family loves and we're planning on eating CS for most of our meals on our upcoming trip. I love a lot of TS places too, but with 2 kids who are now "adults" as far as Disney is concerned, those TS places can get pretty pricey.

MK was a little overwhelming on my first trip too. Definitely have a touring plan for your next trip. That will help immensely.

Glad you had such a good time. And Happy Birthday to your DD!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Glad you had a great time!

I totally agree with you on the weather. My inlaws are snowbirds and have a place down in Florida, and my mother in law keeps telling us that we can stay in their condo and take a summer vacation. In Florida. I told her that going to Florida in the summer makes about as much sense to me as going to Alaska in the winter. Isn't going to happen. We were in WDW last October (and going again next week) and I was shocked at how humid it was that late in the year. We went to see the inlaws in December and it was still humid then. When we were on the plane going home I asked my daughter what she thought of the trip to Grandma's and her reply was: "It's really sweaty in Florida." LOL. Honestly, if Disney World wasn't there, I'm not sure I'd ever go to Florida again.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
michsig
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear that you had a great time overall!
June 2010 - CSR
July 1999 - Villas at Disney Institute
May 1991 - Offsite
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your report! I, too, love reading the "just back" ones.

I will admit, I like Sunshine Seasons.....BUT....I really only like a couple of things there. You have to like the stuff on the menu and I'm a picky eater. Next time you're in Epcot, you might want to try the Electric Umbrella....might be more to your liking for QS.

And I also agree about the humidity! That is why the majority of our trips are in late October (like next year). I will wilt and then become unbearable for anyone to be around. My hubby & I joke and say it isn't a Disney vacation until we've had our meltdown! :D

Glad you had a great time! And for everything you didn't get to: it's just a reason to come back!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

Love reading positive 'just back' trip reports! Glad you had a lovely time at WDW!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
AlexandAndysMom
Mouseketeer

How did the baby do? Did you have early or late nights? I'm thinking about going in Feb and we will have a 14 month old. Never taken one that young before!

Glad you had a great time!
10/2010 for MNSSHP with DH, DS (8), and DS (3)
4/2011 Surprise Birthday and Graduation Trip!!
2/2013 Baby's First Trip!
2/2014 Cause we can!--And it was FUN!
10/2014 Who doesn't love Trick-or-Treating with the Mouse?!?!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
krismanda
Mouseketeer

Baby did great! He is super easy going though. My daughter would have been a nightmare at that age because she was such a stickler for routine. We only did one really late night (to see the fireworks at magic kingdom). Most evenings we were home by around 8 or so and then my dh would take the 5 year old swimming while I put the baby down. We did have two early mornings (8am breakfast reservations), the other days we showed up at the parks around 9:30 for the most part.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
mobesfamily
Mouseketeer

LOL, except for the hotel & the ages of the kids your first 3 paragraphs are my thoughts EXACTLY about our recent trip! We did a lot, had a great time but the weather was horrible! Instead of unpacking yesterday I booked a February trip. I can definitely deal with sweatshirts and long pants better than that awful heat & humidity.
Glad you had a great trip!

1st trip EVER 10/2004 ASMo, Girls 1st trip 10/2012 AKL, 2/2013 AKL, 1/2014 BW & BLT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: