Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
ratherbeindisney
Mouseketeer

Disney Gift Card sell or return??

Can tell me if the Disney store takes gift cards as a return? We had a Disney trip planned for April 2013 but medical bills and life got in the way. We were saving by buying Disney gift cards. Now the money is needed to pay off some of my daughter's unexpected medical bills. Or does anyone know a reputable site that will buy the cards at a fraction of the cost? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. We have about $675.00 in cards.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

There are multiple gift card for sale on ebay. I have purchased some but never a disney giftcard. They always sell for more than I am willing to spend.
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

It appears that you can return these cards, as long as you have the original receipt and have not used it:

http://aimg.disneystore.com/content/...10/return.html
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Check with the store you purchased them from. If you bought them at Target or any place other than Disney, you may be out of luck because you will be subject to their gift card return policy. If you purchased directly from Disney, you should be able to get your money back as long as the gift card is unused and you have the original sales receipt.

From their gift card FAQ http://www.disneygiftcard.com/faq/#q19 :
Quote:
Can I return the Disney Gift Card that I purchased or received as a gift?
You can return the Disney Gift Card as long as you have the original proof of purchase receipt and no funds have been deducted from the card. Each location's return policy may differ. Please contact the location.
I feel bad for you and I hope that you are able to return them for full face value. It would add insult to injury to have to sell them at a loss in order to meet your financial obligations. This is one reason that I won't buy Disney (or any) gift cards as a means of saving for a vacation. I would much rather keep my cash flexible and available in the event that a trip gets canceled.

Good luck, OP!

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Ebay, they always sell for face value or very close to it. You will get fees from ebay and paypal but you should still make most of your money back.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry View Post
Ebay, they always sell for face value or very close to it. You will get fees from ebay and paypal but you should still make most of your money back.
I never understand why people pay face value for gift cards on eBay. I'm always suspicious about these auctions.

The again, I don't understand why anyone buys Disney gift cards to save for a trip. The OP's dilemma is a good reason not to do so.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Why in the world would you buy gift cards to save for a trip???? What a waste of money put it in a bank where it can collect interest ad can be accessed for medical bills!!
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwheels View Post
Why in the world would you buy gift cards to save for a trip???? What a waste of money put it in a bank where it can collect interest ad can be accessed for medical bills!!
I agree, but many people do. It has been discussed many times on this board.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace

I agree, but many people do. It has been discussed many times on this board.
That's just crazy??
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..

Have you seen the interest rate at banks? Last Christmas Sam's club had $100 Disney gift cards, and you got a $10 Disney Store gift card as a bonus. We bought a lot of these cards! We love buying Disney gift cards as a way to save for the vacation. You can't use these funds for anything else, so for me it's a great way to know I am going back to WDW!

The best thing people can do is save the way they prefer, and to go to WDW with the trip fully paid off before they leave home. That is what is important!!

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite

Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiere Lover View Post
The best thing people can do is save the way they prefer, and to go to WDW with the trip fully paid off before they leave home. That is what is important!!
Very well said!! I buy Disney GC's and this method works well for our family if I had it stashed away I'd end up spending it else where or forget what it is being used for and spend it.

The feeling is great when I paid for a vacation and don't have a huge credit card bill to look at when I return home (did, done it and never again)
~Olivia~ 3 yrs
First visit to DL at age 11 and hooked ever since!
Disney Cruise and WDW 2/09 and 9/09
DVC Members on 3/2008 at AKV'S and 1/2009 VGC
Next Disney Trips: 2014 Disney Dream or Aulani
ToodlesRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

Hope you can do something with them OP. I have sold gift cards on plasticjungle before, most I got close to their value but it depends on the card.

If buying gift cards at target with their card you save 5%, that is a lot off a disney trip!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Cardpool.com buys and sells gift cards. I have never sold to them, but I buy often. Very easy an reliable.
amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
starry_solo
DIS Veteran

If unable to return, do you have a friend or colleague going to WDW or DLR? Maybe they would be willing to purchase it from you?
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiere Lover View Post
No, for the exact reason the OP is dealing with, "saving" for a trip by buying Disney gift cards when you have a possibility of needing the money to cover other emergencies life might throw at you is NOT the best way to do things.

It can make some sense to pick up a few gifts cards right before you have to pay the balance, or right before you leave to use for spending on your trip. But long before the trip, when you don't have a huge emergency fund already in place? Nope. I don't care if it's widely discussed as a method of saving on this board, it doesn't make sense. (And I don't even think buying the gift cards for paying off the balance is the best move, since if you pay with cash you could still get most of that refunded if necessary up until the trip.)

OP - I hope you can get a refund. I have my fingers crossed for you!
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: