Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
ZoeisMommy
šoš Earning My Ears

Great autograph idea or epic autograph fail...

So I've been conjuring up this amazing (or so I think) autograph idea. We have one of these 4ft by 4ft collage frames that has the places for 50 photos....

i was thinking about getting 25 sheets of scrap booking paper to coordinate with 25 of my daughters favorite characters (rapunzel, belle, stitch,etc.) cut it to 4x7'' and in the 7th inch punch a hole and thread the sheets of the scrap booking paper onto one of those binder rings (to keep the sheets nice and neat. I even thought about putting an index card between each sheet to keep from bleeding and for stabilization.

Once I'm home I can trim it to 4x6" to fit in the frame and in the other 25 slots put the pictures of her with the characters. We are doing photopass+ so there are sure to be some beautiful pictures.

OR I've found where another Dis'er had everyone sign the solid vinylmation 9" Mickey. It was amazing I'm just concerned toting him around for 7 days with a two year old.... Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
ZoeisMommy
šoš Earning My Ears

Then of course I found this a bit discouraging :-(

http://fusemp.blogspot.com/2012/02/a...ylmations.html

Not being allowed to do it would just be plain frustrating. Should I just stick with the 4x6 idea??

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
MolonLabe
DTOM

Something to be said about the books just sitting around.

My DD's first trip was 1.5 years ago. 4.5 and 6.5 at the time. We have looked at the book once since then? That was within a month of coming back. It's since been forgotten I think.

We look at some of the scrap books and photobooks from time to time... probably time again but the autographs are, looking back, more for that moment. Not later.

This trip my wife is making more books for them. Personally, I want something "different".

That figurine is an idea, but it's too bulky IMO to bring around.

I've considered a tshirt... I'm not sure.

Something different. Good luck and let us know what your decide.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Those both sound like really neat ideas! To me the hardest part would be safely transporting either. And I agree that it would be really sad to get there and then have the characters be unable to sign a Vinylmation. If you go with the scrapbooking paper route, I'd suggest transporting it in a manila envelope. That would help protect it from being crushed. Probably also a good idea to bring a ziploc bag in case it rains. Will you have a stroller? That would definitely make it easier to safely carry around.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
phi2012
Mouseketeer

anyone done a hat/cap before, is that allowed? Would it work? Just thought it was something that might get used a bit more than say an autograph book.

Other than that I liked the idea someone had on one of the other posts about using a disney encyclopidia character book and getting the characters to sign their own page with info on it, my daughter would read about the characters more than just looking at their autograph.
phi2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
ZoeisMommy
šoš Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi2012
anyone done a hat/cap before, is that allowed? Would it work? Just thought it was something that might get used a bit more than say an autograph book.

Other than that I liked the idea someone had on one of the other posts about using a disney encyclopidia character book and getting the characters to sign their own page with info on it, my daughter would read about the characters more than just looking at their autograph.
I've done the hat thing years ago but silly me used a pen and after a ride on splash mountain lost 90% of the signatures.

I've also seen the encyclopedia idea, I think if I can find an updated version and get in time I may go that route last I seen was published in 2009 :-/

I'm on the fence about the Vinylmation. The 4*6 picture idea id love to have for her wall but it just sounds like tedious work to get ready.... we have an autograph book but it rarely gets looked at :-/
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

I have an artists canvas that I had the characters sign. Carry it in a big zip loc bag to keep it dry!

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
caseyd66
Earning My Ears

Instead of the scrapbook paper, you could go to the Creative DISigns forum here & look at some of their autograph card designs. I chose some beautiful ones with the character image & name & had them printed at my local photo store. I put them into a cheap plastic photo flip book & had each character sign their card. (I also printed a few generic ones) When we got home, I bought a nicer photo album and put a picture of my daughter with the character across from the appropriate signed card.

I really like your idea of the hanging collage though because then your photos are on display
caseyd66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

We just got back a couple of weeks ago and I had pillowcases for my kids. They really turned out wonderfully! I used a clipboard to hold it flat and give the characters a place to sign, then I bought fabric markers. When I got home, I heat set the marker according to the package instructions and washed the cases. My kids have slept on them every night since and they look adorable on their beds!

Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

I always use white card stock cut to 4x6 and threaded on a binder ring. Then I trim them and put them in a 6x6 book with the pics. I think your first idea will work perfectly.

Here's my album. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1280

Last edited by Tltorrez; 10-08-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Our best autograph gathering was on drawstring bags that had character pictures on them (ordered on amazon). We used sharpies to sign and had cardboard inside for the characters to lean on. The kids carried them around - light and easy.

The autograph books just sit on the shelf, but the bag keeps coming back with us to WDW

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
PrincessKida
Annual Passholder, Princess Lover, Wilderness Explorer

my boyfriend and I are APs for the first time (we are from NJ but go to college roughly an hour away from Disney if you average out our colleges). For our freshman year we did the blank white vinyl signed. Some characters are a tad hesitant but if you offer to hold or help they will sign it. However, if you are a perfectionist it isn't for you. It smudges. No one of these I've ever seen done doesnt smudge a bit. If it's raining, expect the black ink appear in odd places on it faintly. That being said... we love(!) ours. We have almost 40 signatures on them and they get cuter and cuter with each signature.

Also as a note, remember they are kinda big and a hassle sometimes to carry around. I suggest a cloth draw string backpack. We used a nylon one once and I think it aided in the smudging. Cloth has worked great since.

Visit My Personal Character Site/Blog: http://wdwcharacteradventures.weebly.com/
PrincessKida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
phi2012
Mouseketeer

There really are so many great ideas. I really wish disney would come out with a new encyclopedia as the last one misses out a number of my daughters fav characters. I think I might still go with this idea as it will keep and hopefully the kids will look at it more than autograph books. But I might also buy one of the larger Vinylmation figures and hope that the characters will sign them then I've also got something we can put up on the shelf at home, I think they look really nice, plus we'll have a buggy to transport it in so it should be kept safe .

I'll keep an eye on this tread to see if any more unusual ideas come out. Good luck everyone with your autograph collecting
phi2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
IadoreWDW
But why is the rum gone?

I'm doing the vinyl thing and so far it looks great! I hold it steady for the fur characters and have had no problems at all so far! I haven't carried it everyday but when I do I slip it in a small bag and loop it over the handle of my park bag so it's one less thing to carry. It's not heavy at all!

Edit: just read the link, ehhh they are DESIGN your own? There is a 3" vinyl on sale in the shops with the signatures on it. To be told it is not allowed when it is a design your own vinylmation doesn't sound right.

WDW AsMu '97WDW AsMo '99WDW offsite '04WDW offsite '08 WDW offsite '10
WDW offsite '12

faithtrust&pixiedust
adreamisawishyourheartmakes

Last edited by IadoreWDW; 10-20-2012 at 06:52 AM.
IadoreWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
ZoeisMommy
šoš Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi2012
There really are so many great ideas. I really wish disney would come out with a new encyclopedia as the last one misses out a number of my daughters fav characters. I think I might still go with this idea as it will keep and hopefully the kids will look at it more than autograph books. But I might also buy one of the larger Vinylmation figures and hope that the characters will sign them then I've also got something we can put up on the shelf at home, I think they look really nice, plus we'll have a buggy to transport it in so it should be kept safe .

I'll keep an eye on this tread to see if any more unusual ideas come out. Good luck everyone with your autograph collecting
I ended up going with the encyclopedia because my daughter LOVES books. Although, I have created 15+ extra pages of the missing characters....I plan on having them added when I rebind the book

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: