Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #136
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry about your mom, dealing with all of that it so hard! I hope you continue this TR, I think it would be a good distraction from everything else, but totally understand if you're not up to it!

Ugh, un-magical CM's are the worst, aren't they? I never understand how you can work in Disney and be grumpy. I guess it's a job, and you have bad days at any job, but...to me, that just does not make sense!

Love the OKW pictures, it looks like such a beautiful resort!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #137
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Sending virtual hugs...you know I love you and my heart is breaking right along with yours. I am so glad that you are going to write your TR, it will help you cope with real world.

Thanks for all the phone calls this week, sis...you are the best!

Promise I am reading and following along, heck you tell me everything on the phone but its fun putting the pictures together with the stuff you told me

You probably know the whole trip...but you need to see your boyfriend's pics!

First class is amazing isnt it? I have been fortunate to get upgrades when my family worked for USAir and it was incredible, so hard to fly any other way! They gave me slippers, sleep mask, hot towels for my hands, warm nuts, hot baked cookies and a private tv...heck the seat turned into a BED! All for a 3 hour flight to Boston. Didnt so much need it on the way up but after a week with my family I so needed it on the way home

Ahhh....to go back to the old ways,

The pic of Mark with the phone had me peeing my pants because I know the phone drama he went through and all I can think of is that poor fool at ATT on Marco Island LOL!

He still talks about that entire ordeal with the phone

54 days sister, just 54 more days and we are in the Happiest Place On Earth -TOGETHER! Lets hope the time flies!
It can't come fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
Hi! Subbing in! Enjoyed the first two updates! Your face in the after check in one shows excactly how you felt!

So sorry to hear about your mom. I know exactly what you are going through. My grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 62 and has been in a nursing home since 2002 or 2003. It has been so long I can no longer remember. Every time she got an infection of sorts she would get violent or wander, or both. Broke my grandfathers heart to put her in the home, but it was for the best for him. He was deaf and could not hear her leaving the house when she would wander, so he would have no idea how long she was gone for either! Such a scary experience. She is now 83, and is at the waiting game point. My heart breaks more every day. BUT I now work with the Alzheimer's Association and have made it my life goal to find a cure for this disease. I am training to run the Disneyland Marathon next September to raise money for our local AA branch here. Makes me feel good knowing I am finally doing something I can control for her. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask. **hugs**
I've seen you before on the boards on some of the threads I follow; thank you so much for joining.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother! And good for you helping to search for a cure and for training for the Marathon. I wish you much success. And if any questions come up, I will be sure to message you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Hang in there with everything you are going through with your Mom. I can sympathize, my Mom is going through a lot right now with my Grandma and it's been extremely difficult with deciding the care that's best for her. Keep reliving the trip, if not to tell us, but to have the good memories to help you keep your sanity during this difficult time.

Thank you so much for the wrods; and prayers for your Grandma.

You are correct, OKW is very home like. I love the fact that it's so quiet, I think it's one of it's greatest selling points.
I agree; OKW is very quiet and a huge selling point for DH and I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5767 View Post
I'm glad I happened upon your facebook comment or I'd have missed your TR. This is my first time following yours, but I've seen you following others, that I was following.

thanks so much for coming over. I appreciate you coming along.

I got her on page 9! I'm always late to the party!

You are in plenty of time...we are still on arrival day.

First I want to add how sorry I am about your mother. It truly is a horrid disease, and especially right after losing Mark's mom. You have to keep remembering that the actions you see of her now, aren't the mom you know and try your best to remember the good times.

Thank you for the very comforting words.

My husband, 10 year old daughter and I stayed at Old Key West twice this past summer. In June, we stayed there for out 26th anniversary and had a studio villa in building 55. It was such a nice quiet location on a cul-de-sac. In August we stayed there again, but upgraded to a 1 bedroom because my 20 year old son Max and his girlfriend Casey joined us. If I had realized that 2 studios were less points than a single 1 bedroom, I would have gotten them a separate villa. It ended up being tricky with them coming back to nap, sleeping in the pull-out couch and we had come back to the room to rest and they were sleeping. We really do love Old Key West. Its our 2nd home... our first home is Saratoga Springs. We actually don't have points at OKW, we have an add-on at BLT, but we've never stayed there.

On our last day, I went to the front desk and told a manager person (she was wearing a navy blazer) that our internet kept dropping out every few minutes and was essentially useless. She asked us if we'd tried in the lobby. So we went and got one of our laptops and tried in the living room off the lobby. When I went back to the front desk to find her, she wasn't there..so I had to try to explain to the lady at the desk (who was probably 95 if she was a day) that I wanted to speak to the woman in the navy blazer again. I mentioned the internet, as I was telling her that the woman and I were having a conversation about the internet...so this CM says "oh I'm sorry, we don't have internet here...we have wifi"!!! So I said knew it was pointless... so I said... ok and walked away til the blazers came back out.

We do love OKW. I did not reallize that you could get two studios for less than a one-bedroom villa; this is good to know for our 2014 trip if we don't do AKL with your youngest son and our future daughter-in-law.

I can't wait to read more!
Update coming up if I can stay awake--late night last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm so sorry about your mom, dealing with all of that it so hard! I hope you continue this TR, I think it would be a good distraction from everything else, but totally understand if you're not up to it!

Ugh, un-magical CM's are the worst, aren't they? I never understand how you can work in Disney and be grumpy. I guess it's a job, and you have bad days at any job, but...to me, that just does not make sense!

Love the OKW pictures, it looks like such a beautiful resort!
I'll continue unless it just gets to be that I don't have the time for it.

I'm with you....they work at Disney, how can they not be happy?

It is a beautiful resort...you should go check it out.
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #138
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I am so sorry for about your Mom. My oldest DD, Paige, is right now working in a memory type nursing home. I don't know the official name, but she works with patients who have memory problems. She said some do get a little wild and then they have very calm times too. She loves to talk the them and she is amazed how many of them can remember things from long ago clear as day at times. One of her patients recently died, and I was so proud of her because she was in the room with her when she started having issues and then after her shift she went and visited her in the hospital. Paige has such a good heart. I think she does many of these patients a world of good.

Yay for arriving, though as many others said, that picture just shows how friendly your CM was. . It's such a shame that there are some grumpy ones. Don't they know where they are working?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #139
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Where were we when I last was with you friends? Oh yes, I had just had an "unfriendly" welcome from a CM and Mark and I were heading to the

for our "not" so secret mission at DTD. Here are a few pictures of our journey:

Once we exited the boat, the first order of business was something refreshing. It was HOT and the sun was beating down us. Since I'm always cold on airplanes, I had worn jeans and didn't bring shorts to change into if our room wasn't ready. Hence, we needed a cold beverage.

We stopped at Raglan Road and Mark got a Kilkeney Red Beer and I had the Bailey's Shake. All I can say is yummy.

A few pictures as we walked to our destination:

We arrived at our destination and YES....our mission was successful. We were both now proud owners of one of these little beauties:

After the Annual Passes were purchased (courtesy of our oldest son, Andy), I also bought the Tables in Wonderland card for our meals.

It was then time for one of the favorite things of some of my readers...time for Mark try on some hats:

I saw this dress and so wished I had a granddaughter:

Mark and an old friend:

We decided to leave and go back to OKW and see if our room was ready even though we hadn't yet had a text.

Some pictures on the ride back:

We got back to OKW in no time at all and Mark took a peak in the gift shop while I went to check on our room. I had a much friendlier CM this time who said our room was not ready yet. She offered to see if there was another room available but that we might be further away. I told her we had no problem with the distance and would take a room further away. Unfortunately, nothing was available, so we had to wait.

I believe we grabbed a pretzel from the snack bar by the pool as we were getting a little hungry and still had a couple of hours until dinner. We were both getting a little tired and cranky after the early morning wake-up call, lack of sleep on Thursday night with the phone call about Mark's mom and the fact that it was hot and humid out. We didn't want to go swimming at this point because we weren't sure if we'd have our room before we had to leave for dinner and didn't want to have to change back into our clothes and I wouldn't be able to do my hair.

So we decided to just park our butts on the bench outside the Hospitality House near the check-in door. As we were waiting, I hear someone say my name. I looked up and it was a friend from here on the DIS, Tracy (LuvvsDisney here on the DIS). I had met Tracy on a thread she had started a couple of years ago about resort choices and being in a "pickle". There were five or six of us that posted frequently and we became "pickle friends". Mark and I chatted with Tracy and her Mark while it started to drizzle, and then rain and then pour, and then drizzle, all the while waiting for that text that our room was ready. Tracy and Mark were heading back to their room from the pool when they ran into us and I'm so glad it was there that we sat waiting for our text so that I could meet my friend, Tracy. And, as any good DISer knows, if there isn't a picture, it didn't happen. So I present you Tracy and Kathy:

Tracy, please forgive me if I wasn't my usual "exhuberant self" and didn't talk as much as I normally would. We truly were both exhausted, but Mark and I were delighted to meet you.

Up next, do we EVER get a text that our room is ready and where do we have dinner?

Last edited by KatMark; 10-14-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Arrival Day, Part 3
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #140
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

I know how the room wait ends from your posts on FB, so I won't really comment on that. Great that you got to meet with Tracy and her Mark while waiting though!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR

Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #141
MEK
DIS Veteran

Yeah for a "Pickle Friend" DIS meet.

Double yeah for annual passes and a TIW card.

Triple Yeah for alcoholic refreshment while at DTD.

Love the pictures. It looks like a beautiful day.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #142
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Ooohhhh, that Bailey's shake looks absolutely heavenly! That will have to be on my ever growing list of things to eat at Disney.

That stinks that the room still wasn't ready and that they couldn't find you another one either. Being tired and cranky is never a good thing. But, at least there was a surprise DISmeet!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #143
LuvvsMickey
DIS Veteran

Oh.My.GOD. Um, the picture was horrid enough on your teeny camera screen but blown up that big on the DIS for all to see?!?! ACK!!! Pool days aren't all that pretty, woman! Hello bedhead hair! And for all that you had gone through and being exhausted as you were, you look lovely, my dear. I know it was a difficult day for you both and we truly felt like we were intruding on your much needed down time. I wish circumstances had been different, but I had to say hello as I knew there wouldn't be another time to meet up with you.

We stayed at the resort a lot. (actually only did three park days out of nine we were there!) We loved the resort so much that we did the DVC tour the day before we left and bought into OKW. We still weren't 100% sure it was the right time for us and thank goodness for the 10 day deciding window because once we got home and more proverbial "crap" hit the fan, we sadly had to back out of the contract. It was not an easy decision, but it was the right one. We will purchase in a couple of years, though. Too much going on right now.

I hope you had a wonderful trip and were able to do some healing. AND!!! So happy you are headed back in a short time. Something about those Christmas decorations makes it all the more magical. ♥

Tracy
Old 10-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #144
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Oh that Bailey's shake at DTD looks amazing... I could go for one now (and it's only breakfast - sigh)

Yah for Dismeets - they are so much fun! Our last trip, we had so many, and I have to say that even my girls now look forward to them.

How annoying about your room, and then sitting in the rain to wait - that would surely put a damper on my day, but I would be in Disney - so the rain is always better there. Right?

I sure hope you didn't have to wait long for your room.

And I can't wait to see more pictures of OKW... It looks lovely!

D~
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #145
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

well Kat, you read my TR, so I know ALL about getting grumpy in DIsney, especially with that September heat! and agreed, no pic it didn't happen! Can you believe I never got a pic with the roots a couple weeks ago I was SO mad!

I'm already annoyed for you about the room situation, and thinking ou didn't get the text! Woot for AP's!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #146
jecskc
DIS Veteran

It took us forever to get a room text when we were at OKW, too. Exact same thing happened to us. We were at the pool and it rained and we waited, and waited ...... it took a couple of hours. But we didn't want to go anywhere until we had gotten in the room and unpacked everything. It just feels better knowing that you have everything settled before you head to a park.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #147
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

How great that you met up with a fellow diser. I love doing that.

I have heard a few times that it can sometimes take extra long at OKW to get your room assigned. Hopefully you didn't have to wait much longer. I arrive early in Nov and we're staying at AKV that night. I am really hoping we get a room early so we can take a nap before the Halloween part that night.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #148
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I contemplated not doing the rest of this TR. There is so much going on with my mother right now, that I can't even think straight.
I'm sorry for everything you've been going through lately. I'd completely understand if you don't want to finish the TR. It isn't like that would be the first time a TR went unfinished around here. I'm happy to read along if good memories are a good distraction though.

Quote:
I did NOT having the most "welcoming" castmember I've ever dealt with...she just did the job without any personal talk or niceties.
Eh, everybody can't be on all the time. Still isn't exactly the way you want your first contact upon arrival to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
She probably went to Starbucks instead of Dunkin Donuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Welcome to the Happiest Place on Earth!
Kind of looks like Kathy is telling us to talk to the hand.

Quote:
for our "not" so secret mission at DTD. Here are a few pictures of our journey
A trip to DTD for you is about as surprising as a stop by Starbucks.

Quote:
We stopped at Raglan Road and Mark got a Kilkeney Red Beer and I had the Bailey's Shake. All I can say is yummy.
Well that could certainly make up for a less than magical check in experience.

Quote:
After the Annual Passes were purchased (courtesy of our oldest son, Andy), I also bought the Tables in Wonderland card for our meals.
One of these days I want to be able to take enough trips in a year to make those purchases...

Quote:
As we were waiting, I hear someone say my name. I looked up and it was a friend from here on the DIS, Tracy (LuvvsDisney here on the DIS).
Well, that was a nice surprise DIS meet after the disappointment about the room.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #149
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
We arrived at our destination and YES....our mission was successful. We were both now proud owners of one of these little beauties:

I wish I was there often enough to justify the AP. We all need to move to Florida, I think.

Quote:
It was then time for one of the favorite things of some of my readers...time for Mark try on some hats:
Hey! He's stealing Scotty's bit!

Just kidding...

Quote:
As we were waiting, I hear someone say my name. I looked up and it was a friend from here on the DIS, Tracy (LuvvsDisney here on the DIS).
for DIS meets!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #150
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Yay for the DTD and the DIS meet. My FIL was would love the Donald hat. He loves angry Donald merchandise. As always, Mark makes a great hat model!

Congrats on the AP and TiW!!

I was following along on fb with your room updates. That was crazy how long you waited. I checked into Pop the day after you and we were praying that wouldn't happen since we had the party at 7pm.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: