Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #16
Hillary12.8.07
DIS Veteran

We are in the same exact situation! Booked the same time at POR but in a water view but I'm second guessing too. We honeymooned at WL and this is our 5th anniversary trip. We loved it there and got spoiled! I just don't think I can justify the extra money to stay again though. $1000 is alot of money. I've just been trying to read and look at all the great things about riverside to get excited. The pictures look beautiful.
Try calling back and changing to a non royal room from time to time, if that's the main problem. I've been doing the same actually to get a king bed room, since it wasn't available when I booked. I've been told by the CMs to just keep trying back people cancel all the time!
Good luck deciding! Either way, it's Disney at Christmas time and will be magical no matter what!
Hillary12.8.07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

If it were me, I'd go with the WL, especially during Christmas time . We've never stayed at POR, but we've stayed at the WL twice and love it. The lodge is beautiful any time of year, but especially so during the holidays. If the extra cost is doable, I would definitely switch. But with that said, I do agree with a pp that once you stay deluxe, it might be hard to go back to anything else. Our first onsite stay was at CBR and we loved the resort and had a great time, but the following year we tried the BC and it has been deluxe stays ever since. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter where you stay as Disney at Christmas time is amazing .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

I agree, mickeynut1! After staying deluxe, it IS hard to go back..
We stayed at POR and POFQ several years back but lately it's been all deluxe.
I've booked a RO at POR for January, but also am second-guessing and wishing it was going to be WL. Money-wise, after 2 other visits this year, it needs to be a moderate.
Elaw, if you keep posting those pix of the lobby at Christmas, I'm gonna have to break down and book for the holidays at WL anyway!!!
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

My 5yo boy loved the royal room. It's not overly princess-y. The fireworks headboards were a huge hit!

I love POR. I think it's only negative is transportation. We are thinking deluxe next time but only because we had such a rough time with buses this past trip and want a monorail resort. But otherwise I think it's theming and everything else is just as good as a deluxe.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

It is a tough decision. We pretty much had it narrowed doen to POR and WL for our return visit over 5 years after our wonderful honeymoon at WL. We had also been planning on December, but moved it up to September to go before our daughter turned three (which is a big part of how we scraped up the extra $ to go WL).

We ended up having an amazing time at WL, and falling even more in love with it. We did visit POR during our trip, and the main differences that we saw are that POR is spread out with multiple buildings and exterior hallways, while WL is all in one building under one roof. Both resorts have a nice quiet rural feel that we really love. POR had a bigger food court, but WL's quick service is really good too, just smaller. WL has beautiful views of Bay Lake, and is a nice walk or boat ride from Fort Wilderness for more fun activities.

As for transportation, we loved the boats from WL to MK or the CR (to catch the monorail), but we also like having the boat from POR to DTD. When we rode the DTD boat in September though, there was a huge line to wait for it, and the busses would have been faster. We found that with the WL boats vs. busses as well. While the boats are more fun, the busses are still the fastest way to go. For AK and HS you are probably taking busses from either resort, so it really isn't a huge advantage for WL.

Overall, it is a tough decision, and while we personally loved WL, it would be hard to say what someone else should do for the money. We probably wouldn't give up free dining to make the switch if it were us. Both are very nice Disney resorts, so it is up to you if the differences are worth the price difference. The Christmas decorations at WL are beautiful, so no matter where you stay be sure to come by for a while and check them and the resort out so you'll have more info for your next stay.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I think I would do WL myself! Wilderness Lodge is an amazing resort - especially since you have boys. Wilderness Lodge at Christmas time especially just can't be beat!! Very magical!

If that isn't possible I'd keep trying to get an AB room at POR or if the theme at all appeals to your boys - go for AKL.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS1125
WL Standard Room
2a 2c 5 and 2
7 day base tickets

POR-Royal Room River View
2a 2c 5 and 2
7 day base
free dining
approx

I think it would be worth upgrading to the WL. It's magical at Christmas and you will probably only spend a couple hundred in food over the week unless you have a lot of ADRs planned.
Where did you get your prices? I paid around $2700 for POR royal room river view with free dining incl. and 6 day park tickets for us 4.
And it is $3700 for WL with same free dining promo and 6 day park tickets.
With room only promotion comes out to $3100 for WL courtyard view, including 6 day park tickets but no food. I think free dining is a better promotion!?
Still cheeper to stay at POR.
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw
Wilderness Lodge is amazing during the holidays I'd make the switch in a heartbeat!
It is so gorgeous at Christmas time... So tempting!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary12.8.07
We are in the same exact situation! Booked the same time at POR but in a water view but I'm second guessing too. We honeymooned at WL and this is our 5th anniversary trip. We loved it there and got spoiled! I just don't think I can justify the extra money to stay again though. $1000 is alot of money. I've just been trying to read and look at all the great things about riverside to get excited. The pictures look beautiful.
Try calling back and changing to a non royal room from time to time, if that's the main problem. I've been doing the same actually to get a king bed room, since it wasn't available when I booked. I've been told by the CMs to just keep trying back people cancel all the time!
Good luck deciding! Either way, it's Disney at Christmas time and will be magical no matter what!
I asked several times if I could switch but apparently free dining promo is only for Royal Guest Rooms.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
Elaw, if you keep posting those pix of the lobby at Christmas, I'm gonna have to break down and book for the holidays at WL anyway!!!
As you wish

Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

WL without a doubt.... Last trip we made we stepped down from WL to POFQ.... Daughter and family request....

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with moderates, especially POFQ, but they are not my cup of tea.... free dining means nothing to us, we don't buy it or use it... Not ever going to schedule my meals 180 days out and vacation by a schedule!

This last mod trip cured me, I'll stay where I prefer and pay the price (you never know when it could be your last trip) I enjoy the locations and amenities a deluxe offers, especially the WL... Being able to take a boat to the MK is a selling feature, being a compact resort under one roof a bigger plus..... and general location is huge to us, boat to FW, MK and CR for monorail access is what it's all about... No matter the price increase... WL is worth it and look into points through a point reseller like David's for a studio.... A lot cheaper that regular lodge and lot me safer than picking some stranger to rent off of. Just a thought .

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
And it is $3700 for WL with same free dining promo and 6 day park tickets.
With room only promotion comes out to $3100 for WL courtyard view, including 6 day park tickets but no food. I think free dining is a better promotion!?
Still cheeper to stay at POR.
Another way of reducing the WL cost is a Standard View room. This is what we do, and based on the number of rooms available at the resort, free upgrades frequently occur. Even without an upgrade though, I would take a WL Standard view room over a POR room, and that saves you some more $$ for the comparison...
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #28
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw

As you wish
Oh man, you are evil!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

it's not the FD promo for WL. You save more with the room discount offer right now and paying OOP for meals for you and DH. With 2 small children only 1 of which you'll get dining credits for it's not worth Free Dining and paying Rack Rate at the WL. At a value or Mod FD is a better promo but for a deluxe in your case a room discount is likely better. I priced it out on Disney's website using the special offers for the WL room and a regular MYW pkg for the POR room
Old 10-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #30
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
Oh man, you are evil!
ITA!! is what you're doing!!
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: