Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Second thoughts about POR, thinking of switching to WL!

We are going to WDW around Christmas: Dec 10-17. We jumped on the free dining promo and booked POR. I really wanted to stay in AB section but there were only river view Royal Rooms left. I have 2 boys: 2 and 5 years old. I am not that crazy about the room and I think the extra cash we are paying for them will be lost on my boys (not that interested in the whole princess thing.) I do love the grounds and the food court and the boat to DTD. We stayed at POFQ last year and really liked it when we walked over there. However the room keeps me from being excited! Plus the grounds are really vast and with my experience at CSR in Feb, I am scared that I will find it uncomfortable especially when it is raining or cold.

Now I am seriously considering switching to WL. It would be my first experience in a Deluxe and it would be a fun Christmas gift to us. I think it will be much prettier around Christmas time and it will be fun to be closer to MK and to have boat to MK or FW and Contemporary. Plus, since we are going in Dec. and it can be chilly some days/nights, it could be fun to have all the amenities under one roof. The only problem is that it is $1000 more expensive and it is an extra expense that is hard to swallow (especially around Christmas).

So should I try to find a way to find an extra $1000 bucks or should I just suck it up and go to POR. My husband thinks it is not worth the extra money. His view is that we will be at the parks most of the day anyway. I am still debating what to do. I could find the money but need to work some overtime to do it, so is it worth it?

Convince me either way!
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
We are going to WDW around Christmas: Dec 10-17. We jumped on the free dining promo and booked POR. I really wanted to stay in AB section but there were only river view Royal Rooms left. I have 2 boys: 2 and 5 years old. I am not that crazy about the room and I think the extra cash we are paying for them will be lost on my boys (not that interested in the whole princess thing.) I do love the grounds and the food court and the boat to DTD. We stayed at POFQ last year and really liked it when we walked over there. However the room keeps me from being excited! Plus the grounds are really vast and with my experience at CSR in Feb, I am scared that I will find it uncomfortable especially when it is raining or cold.

Now I am seriously considering switching to WL. It would be my first experience in a Deluxe and it would be a fun Christmas gift to us. I think it will be much prettier around Christmas time and it will be fun to be closer to MK and to have boat to MK or FW and Contemporary. Plus, since we are going in Dec. and it can be chilly some days/nights, it could be fun to have all the amenities under one roof. The only problem is that it is $1000 more expensive and it is an extra expense that is hard to swallow (especially around Christmas).

So should I try to find a way to find an extra $1000 bucks or should I just suck it up and go to POR. My husband thinks it is not worth the extra money. His view is that we will be at the parks most of the day anyway. I am still debating what to do. I could find the money but need to work some overtime to do it, so is it worth it?

Convince me either way!
The WL is amazing!!! We absolutely LOVED our stay there this past July. It was also our first time staying deluxe, and we worried about whether it would be worth it or not. We stayed CL and it was absolutely worth it!!!

I have never stayed at POR, but a Royal Room wouldn't be my first choice with two boys...I am not a huge fan of CBR but I think I'd pick the pirate rooms before the royal rooms.

I would say that if spending the extra money on WL is going to break the bank, just stick with POR, but if you can feasibly afford it, give it a shot. As far as spending most of your time in the parks...we were that way too, until staying at the WL...it made us want to stick around and we spent 2 whole days (of our 11 day trip) just hanging around the lodge...and a lot of half days too.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

oh my, I say GO FOR IT! The WL at Xmas is the most amazing resort.. and with two little ones it would be nice to be closer (and have boat access) to MK and CR!

good luck I fully support you in your splurge!

ps... we've done both-- gone for the deluxe or stuck with moderate. We stayed at CBR instead of WL.. but last trip we splurged on GF with a 40% off code. Honestly-- I haven't regretted either decision, but sometimes now that we have three kids I wish we would have stayed at WL while we had two. We'll probably never stay there because as our kids get older we'll need the five person room or adjoining rooms or a suite.

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

well, i ve stayed at both and both have their plusses...
we really enjoy POR and the DTD opportunities (so if you are having enough time to do that, or be at the resort more thats a plus for you) will you be swimming and enjoy the possibility of quiet pools, main pool or even shared pool at pofq opportunities? Is the great food court important to you?, Ol man Island for some pole fishing?
Do you prefer inside corridor? less choices (IMHO) at the food court, boat versus bus transport to parks? (you mentioned weather...but regardless youll be outside anyway at all the parks.....) Will you be mostly at MK...and like the opportunity to hop on the boat (maybe) for a less stressful transport?
I have to say that we enjoy both very much but POR is our home away form home....the holiday season is busy, will it be easier for you at one of the resorts?
Choosing a resort is such a personal choice, only you know whats best for your family.....but
whichever you choose, have a wonderful time
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

If they were 9 and 10 I might worry about he boys being annoyed with he room but I'm sure they won't mind. I hear the royal rooms are amazing. A thousand dollars buys an awful lot of presents. That's 2 iPads just to stay at a "better" hotel for a week!!!
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
well, i ve stayed at both and both have their plusses...
we really enjoy POR and the DTD opportunities (so if you are having enough time to do that, or be at the resort more thats a plus for you) will you be swimming and enjoy the possibility of quiet pools, main pool or even shared pool at pofq opportunities?

We will swim weather permitting but when we went in Feb, last year it was too cold most days and ended up swimming once.

Is the great food court important to you?

We will eat once or twice at the food court (most probably for breakfast) but have ADR in parks or other resorts most days.

Ol man Island for some pole fishing?

Never done it, but willing to try if we stick to POR.

Do you prefer inside corridor?

Think so

less choices (IMHO) at the food court, boat versus bus transport to parks? (you mentioned weather...but regardless youll be outside anyway at all the parks.....) Will you be mostly at MK...and like the opportunity to hop on the boat (maybe) for a less stressful transport?

I will do 2 days at MK and 2 days at HS and 1 day at each of the other parks.

I have to say that we enjoy both very much but POR is our home away form home....the holiday season is busy, will it be easier for you at one of the resorts?

Don't know since I don't know what I missing?

Choosing a resort is such a personal choice, only you know whats best for your family.....but
whichever you choose, have a wonderful time
I know your right! WDW is such a magical place, there is no way I will have a bad time
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
spacepixie2
Mouseketeer

we stayed at WL in Dec. 09 and absolutely loved everything about it. We even got to sign up to be Flag Family one day which was also a cool experience, one that maybe your boys would like, if they are still doing that. That being said, I had WL with FD booked for this Dec. but had to scale back. I really wanted the POR Royal Guest room but they were all gone for the FD so we had to pick CBR with the FD offer.
My vote would be WL if it could be financially feasible.
spacepixie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
If they were 9 and 10 I might worry about he boys being annoyed with he room but I'm sure they won't mind. I hear the royal rooms are amazing. A thousand dollars buys an awful lot of presents. That's 2 iPads just to stay at a "better" hotel for a week!!!

A thousand dollars buys an awful lot of presents. That's 2 iPads just to stay at a "better" hotel for a week!!!
I know, when you put it that way, it sound crazy to spend $1000 for a different resort. But I so want to make the jump...but is just so not logical! AWHG!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Belle83
DIS Veteran

We are staying at POR the same week (Dec 11-18) with free dining, in a king bed room.

Our original plan for this trip was to stay at WL, but we had a hard time justifying the cost. $1000 is a few trips to Home Depot, or extra $ for meals or souvenirs, or whatever. We're glad we are saving $ and staying at POR. Plus, you aren't just paying more for the room ... you are losing free dining by moving to WL right?

I can understand being disappointed about the royal room option, especially since you have to pay more for it. I bet your kids will still love it. The rooms aren't super girly, imo.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
A thousand dollars buys an awful lot of presents. That's 2 iPads just to stay at a "better" hotel for a week!!!
I know, when you put it that way, it sound crazy to spend $1000 for a different resort. But I so want to make the jump...but is just so not logical! AWHG!
I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I'm just telling you how my brain works. I would also worry about future trips and what if I loooooved WL so much I could never stay anywhere else again. You might always from now on be trying to make the jump. I wouldn't want to tease myself.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

The Royal Rooms are not girly at all. In fact, they are rather subdued in colors. I would save the money and give them a try. POR is an awesome resort.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

I'd price it out with the current room discount and it might not be that bad compared to rack rate moderate with Free Dining you have booked. You will really only have to pay OOP for you and your DH for food. The kids are minimal cost. You might be able to make that 1000 difference a tad smaller.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

WL Standard Room
2a 2c 5 and 2
7 day base tickets

POR-Royal Room River View
2a 2c 5 and 2
7 day base
free dining
approx

I think it would be worth upgrading to the WL. It's magical at Christmas and you will probably only spend a couple hundred in food over the week unless you have a lot of ADRs planned.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
hot_mama
All Things DISNEY

Wilderness Lodge is one of our absolute favorite resorts! I say go for it! We have stayed at most of the Deluxe resorts and love this one for the secluded woodsy lodge feel, but just a boat ride from MK! It is amazing at Christmas!

Next trip - BLT and BWV in October - November
hot_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
elaw
DIS Veteran

Wilderness Lodge is amazing during the holidays I'd make the switch in a heartbeat!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: