Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

Checking wine at the airport

I was going to go to UPS and get one of their wine mailer things and pack up a few bottles of wine to bring on The Fantasy next month. I know that I have to carry it aboard the ship, can I check it with baggage? I have a veneyard right down the street from me that has fabulous wine and I wanted ot bring some with me....

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Your post is a little confusing. You mean check it at the airport right? You would have to check it because you can not carry liquids on to the plane. The way baggage handlers toss luggage around I'm not sure I would use the box. I would use wine skins and put it in a suitcase.
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favorite Auntie View Post
I was going to go to UPS and get one of their wine mailer things and pack up a few bottles of wine to bring on The Fantasy next month. I know that I have to carry it aboard the ship, can I check it with baggage? I have a veneyard right down the street from me that has fabulous wine and I wanted ot bring some with me....
You must carry the wine (or any beverages) onboard with your carry-on bags. There is no limit to the number of carry-on items, just that they must fit through the scanner (so basically similar size-limit as airport) and you must be able to carry it through the terminal, onto the ship, and around the ship until your stateroom is available.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Wine and any other beverage must be checked through at the airport and carried onto the ship.

It should NOT be checking in baggage at the port.

And seconding the Wine Skins or Bottle Armor. I've checked bags FULL of wine back from California using the Bottle Armor and no breakage whatsoever.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The problem you will have is that according to DCL's rules for bringing your own beverages, you are expected to get the wine OUT of the suitcase when you arrive at your destination and carry it onboard the ship with you.

So if you are planning on sending your luggage directly to the ship from the airport, you need to arrange to retrieve the wine.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Favorite Auntie
I'm in the loop now!
The TF's friend

I am aware I need to carry it on board the ship, I am planning to do so. My question is at the airport. Can I pack it in a mailing box for wine, as if I were going to mail it, and check it onto the plane. I am aware I can not carry it on board as a carry on. That is my problem. I will check out those skin things, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on this either....

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am aware I need to carry it on board the ship, I am planning to do so. My question is at the airport. Can I pack it in a mailing box for wine, as if I were going to mail it, and check it onto the plane. I am aware I can not carry it on board as a carry on. That is my problem. I will check out those skin things, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on this either....
You can check a box on an airplane. Whether or not is a good idea is another thing.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Not sure but I would not have it out of a suitcase and in baggage as a separate box....especially if had any markings on it that it was wine....too many sticky fingers behind the scenes at airports and even if it made it without being stolen the way they handle bags I would not take the chance.

As others have mentioned I would, personally, pack it my main suitcase...well protected.

My friend packed some booze they bought in St. Thomas in a small suitcase by itself and it was broken and leaking rum on the luggage carousel.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Favorite Auntie
I'm in the loop now!
The TF's friend

Thanks, I found the answer on the Southwest website...

Not sure about what you can and can't bring through the checkpoint? Here's a list of liquid, aerosol and gel items that you should put in your checked bag, ship ahead, or leave at home if they are above the permitted 3.4 oz.

Cranberry sauce
Cologne
Creamy dips and spreads
(cheeses, peanut butter, etc.)
Gift baskets with food items
(salsa, jams and salad dressings)
Gravy
Jams
Jellies
Lotions
Maple syrup
Oils and vinegars
Perfume
Salad dressing
Salsa
Sauces
Snowglobes
Soups
Wine, liquor and beer

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, I found the answer on the Southwest website...

Not sure about what you can and can't bring through the checkpoint? Here's a list of liquid, aerosol and gel items that you should put in your checked bag, ship ahead, or leave at home if they are above the permitted 3.4 oz.

Cranberry sauce
Cologne
Creamy dips and spreads
(cheeses, peanut butter, etc.)
Gift baskets with food items
(salsa, jams and salad dressings)
Gravy
Jams
Jellies
Lotions
Maple syrup
Oils and vinegars
Perfume
Salad dressing
Salsa
Sauces
Snowglobes
Soups
Wine, liquor and beer
I thought your question was whether or not you could check a box.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Favorite Auntie
I'm in the loop now!
The TF's friend

A box full of wine......

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Quote:
A box full of wine......
The answer to the "CAN YOU" question is yes. But there is a secondary "SHOULD YOU" question.

In your original post, you indicated a few bottles of wine. If you are packing 3 or 4 bottles of wine, the uniform recommendation has been to use the well padded Wine Skins (which you can probably buy at the winery for about $6) and pack them in a regular suitcase, surrounded by more padded material (clothing).

If the question is about checking an entire case of wine, I don't see why you couldn't, but I don't know that I'd trust that it would arrive intact. Why not check with the winery and see if they could ship it ahead for you? Will you be staying overnight at a hotel before the cruise? They could ship it there.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Each airline may have different rules for checking boxes full of wine. For example, at some times to some places (generally Central and South America), all boxes may be prohibited as checked luggage. In addiiton, some airlines may not insure you against loss if the contents of a checked box is damaged. There may also be limits of the amount or kind of alcohol that can be checked, which may be specific to the airline or to your airport.

As to shipping in boxes in general, many years ago, when weight allowances were 70 pounds, I checked a set of cookware in its original box and had no issues. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Mickdeb
DIS Veteran

Here's a question regarding wine in checked luggage......can we pack a wine box (wine that you buy in a box not a bottle), in our checked luggage, and have that go from home airport to ship? We are using DCL transfer from MCO to PC. The box will be in a sealed plastic bag and there is no risk of breakage.
1975-Royal Plaza, 1994-DixieL, 2002-CSR, 2004-POR, 2005-POR, 2005-ASMO, 2006-Pop, 2006-WL, 2007-WL, 2008-Poly, 2008-POFQ, 2009-GF, 2009-DL/GC, 2010-AKL, 2011-YC/CL, 2012-CBR, 2013-AKL, next up BC-2015and 3 Disney Cruises: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013 and the Alaska on the Wonder 2014:

Mickdeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickdeb View Post
Here's a question regarding wine in checked luggage......can we pack a wine box (wine that you buy in a box not a bottle), in our checked luggage, and have that go from home airport to ship? We are using DCL transfer from MCO to PC. The box will be in a sealed plastic bag and there is no risk of breakage.
DCL requests that all beverages you bring onboard, you do so in your carryon bags. Not checked.

You can have wine in your checked bag on the plane, but you would need to get that bag, take the wine out and transfer it to your carryon. This is what you do: at home, place your luggage tags for the cruise on all your bags that are being checked straight through to the ship EXCEPT THE ONE WITH THE WINE IN IT. When you arrive at MCO, claim the one bag with the wine, shift it from the checked bag to your carryon bag. Take your (now empty of wine) checked bag with you to the DCL transfer checkin desk, and check in that one bag there. It will meet up with your other bags at your room later.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: