Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I wouldn't call the parents. If it keeps happening, maybe, but not for just this one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW View Post
He did nothing wrong and more importantly, he knew what the other kid was doing was wrong and tried to stop him. The fault lies with the parent who did nothing to stop his/her kid, not your son.
I agree- If I was to call ANYONE it would be the stupid parent who drove that let it happen!!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

There is no way I would be calling the other parents. I try not to get overly involved with my kids friends and their parents unless their is a health or safety issuse which there clearly is not in this situation. I don't go "tattle taling" for minor issuse.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
The parent was the birthday girl's dad - not the boy who made the calls. But yeah, don't understand how or why he didn't notice or stop the shenanigans going on.

I'll have to check on that tomorrow.

We already gave it back to him, as soon as we realized he wasn't participating in the pranking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I understand that. I still think its ridiculous that a parent was in the car and did nothing. id have a few words with that parent. and i agree that your son did nothing wrong.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App
I'm not defending the parent driver, but what did you expect him to do? Should he have pulled the car over and grabbed the phone out of the kids hand? Should he have done that as he was driving a van full of other people's kids?
If it were me, I would have told him to knock it off and give the phone back, but if it wasn't my kid there would be nothing I could do to make him do that. I would mention it to his parent when they picked him up or I dropped him off, and let them deal with him.

OP, did your ds say the driver told him to stop, or did he say he did absolutely nothing?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

I would call the parent, as noted in a "Just wanted you to know" type way. They're at an age where "boys will be boys" pranks can escalate easily and quickly into bullying, sexting, and other troublesome electronic behaviors. (No, I'm not saying that this behavior will always escalate, or that every boy who does this will become a bully or a serial killer. But these are things that parents need to keep an eye on.)

Prank calling is, to me, the minor issue. Grabbing someone else's property is more serious. You want to prank call from your own phone? Fine. You want to get someone else in trouble for it? Not so fine. And if the kid had broken the cell phone? Still no big deal?

Tell the parents. For all you know, this may not be the first problem. Since the kid is 11, the parents still have time to nip problems in the bud.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3

I'm not defending the parent driver, but what did you expect him to do? Should he have pulled the car over and grabbed the phone out of the kids hand? Should he have done that as he was driving a van full of other people's kids?
If it were me, I would have told him to knock it off and give the phone back, but if it wasn't my kid there would be nothing I could do to make him do that. I would mention it to his parent when they picked him up or I dropped him off, and let them deal with him.

OP, did your ds say the driver told him to stop, or did he say he did absolutely nothing?
Simple, tell the kid to knock it off! how hard is that? I don't care if it was my son or his friends. I would tell him to stop. If he doesnt listen I would be more firm with my second warning. and yes, pull over if needed. I wouldn't just sit there and let the nonsense continue!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom

Prank calling is, to me, the minor issue. Grabbing someone else's property is more serious. You want to prank call from your own phone? Fine. You want to get someone else in trouble for it? Not so fine. And if the kid had broken the cell phone? Still no big deal?

Tell the parents. For all you know, this may not be the first problem. Since the kid is 11, the parents still have time to nip problems in the bud.
yes totally agree! This kid needs a lesson in manners.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I asked my son and he said that the driver didn't say anything. He also said that he was telling his friend 'give it back' loud enough that the parent could intervene on his behalf, because at this point that's what my son wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
I would call the parent, as noted in a "Just wanted you to know" type way. They're at an age where "boys will be boys" pranks can escalate easily and quickly into bullying, sexting, and other troublesome electronic behaviors. (No, I'm not saying that this behavior will always escalate, or that every boy who does this will become a bully or a serial killer. But these are things that parents need to keep an eye on.)

This is what my husband's problem with the situation is, right there. The fact that the boy grabbed the phone and wouldn't give it back - plus the fact that one of the persons pranked happened to call the phone back. When I asked DS what the person said, he didn't know, because he still didn't have the phone back yet.
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

I guess I'm in the minority here. I would not be calling the kids parents or the adult driver. Kids think prank calling at that age is funny. Definately not something to get worked up over. Yeah, the kid should have given the phone back when asked. It's a great lesson that you've taught your child to be more assertive with his property, but it's not your job to tell the other parents what lessons you think they should be teaching their child. Nor do I think it's your job to reprimand the driver for in retrospect not acting like you would have in that situation.

No one's safety was at risk. If some kids parents called me to reprimand me for such a minor situation, I'd think they were an overprotective loon and I'd be steering my kid away from any future interaction with their child.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #24
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I would not be calling the kids parents or the adult driver. Kids think prank calling at that age is funny. Definately not something to get worked up over. Yeah, the kid should have given the phone back when asked. It's a great lesson that you've taught your child to be more assertive with his property, but it's not your job to tell the other parents what lessons you think they should be teaching their child. Nor do I think it's your job to reprimand the driver for in retrospect not acting like you would have in that situation.

No one's safety was at risk. If some kids parents called me to reprimand me for such a minor situation, I'd think they were an overprotective loon and I'd be steering my kid away from any future interaction with their child.
Thank You that is what I said also.

I really don't get the way over the top reaction to a few prank calls!

And OP did your son say Hey Mr Z, Billy took my phone, please tell him to give it back? When I'm driving kids I would ignore them just saying to each other "hey give me my phone" I don't interfere with kids until I"m asked, they need to work things out among themselves at that age.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post

Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #26
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

I'd let it go this time, unless it keeps up. Good thing in my days of prank calling, there was no *69 or caller ID.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
what the hell? what is wrong with that parent? I would not allow that to happen. How he or she can sit there and say nothing is beyond me. I wonder what else this kid gets away with at home!? in this case, you bet I would call the parent and ask why he or she allowed this to happen with your sons phone, why didn't he/she step in. ridiculous!

This-this is the parent I would call. Ask them about the incident. Tell them the pranked people called back on your son's phone and HE is in trouble. Ask the parent what he or she thought was going on. They, the parent driving, are idiots. Any parent not calling for good behavior from 11yo children should not be allowed to supervise your child again.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Thank You that is what I said also.

I really don't get the way over the top reaction to a few prank calls!

And OP did your son say Hey Mr Z, Billy took my phone, please tell him to give it back? When I'm driving kids I would ignore them just saying to each other "hey give me my phone" I don't interfere with kids until I"m asked, they need to work things out among themselves at that age.
A cell phone is an expensive item and as an adult, you should step in. It's not like it's a mechanical pencil or knit cap. As an adult, you just say, 'cut the crap boys, give the phone back now.' Then instruct the owner to put the phone away and not get it out again, firmly. 11 yo boys need guidance and boundaries. They take lack of supervision as permission to have bad behavior.
As someone who has had charge of as many as 65 kids at one time, over and over, they respond best to rules. In the end, they actually like knowing bullying will not be tolerated. Would you just throw them in a pen and let them fight it out? Sounds like it.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
I'm not defending the parent driver, but what did you expect him to do? Should he have pulled the car over and grabbed the phone out of the kids hand? Yes . Should he have done that as he was driving a van full of other people's kids? No, he should have, as you said, pulled the car over and taken the phone from his son and taken control of the situation. If it were me, I would have told him to knock it off and give the phone back, but if it wasn't my kid there would be nothing I could do to make him do that. Sure you could. You could stop the car and embarrass the heck out of the kid. I would mention it to his parent when they picked him up or I dropped him off, and let them deal with him.

It doesn't matter whether it's his kid or not. He is the adult in charge of the children.

Any child that i was ever responsible for was made it understand that I was in charge and therefore I make the rules while they are with me.

But I wouldn't be calling the other kid's parents. In the grand scheme of things a couple of prank phone calls is no biggie. I'd also be thinking twice about letting my kid go with this parent who can't seem to control some 11 year old boys in a car.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #30
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
A cell phone is an expensive item and as an adult, you should step in. It's not like it's a mechanical pencil or knit cap. As an adult, you just say, 'cut the crap boys, give the phone back now.' Then instruct the owner to put the phone away and not get it out again, firmly. 11 yo boys need guidance and boundaries. They take lack of supervision as permission to have bad behavior.
As someone who has had charge of as many as 65 kids at one time, over and over, they respond best to rules. In the end, they actually like knowing bullying will not be tolerated. Would you just throw them in a pen and let them fight it out? Sounds like it.
I'm not listening to everything they say!!! for heavens sake they were probably in the back and who listens to all their yacking?

Seriously you listen intently to all the conversation going on in your car when you take kids? I can guarantee you won't be the preferred mode of transportation as they get older.

Again I ask if the OP's son asked the parent to intervene? I'm not butting into 2 boys squabbling over something, sorry.

And I don't need a lecture on supervising kids. a school group etc is a lot different than a few boys in my car.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: