Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Kids and prank calls - would you call the other parents?

My 11 yo son just got back from a small birthday outing. On the way (in the host parent's car), his friend grabbed my DS cell phone and made about a dozen prank calls in the space of 2 or 3 minutes. Just calling, making dumb noises and hanging up. One of the people that was pranked called my DS cell phone back - but apparently didn't make an issue of it. We've spoken to our son, took his phone away and had a loong talk about being more assertive and making sure nobody takes his phone without him trying harder to get it back! DH wants to call the other boy's parents and let them know about the calls - we had our DS text his friend and let him know that we know all about it and he's not to touch DS phone again. I'm of a mind to let it go at that since it's the first time - WWYD?
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
My 11 yo son just got back from a small birthday outing. On the way (in the host parent's car), his friend grabbed my DS cell phone and made about a dozen prank calls in the space of 2 or 3 minutes. Just calling, making dumb noises and hanging up. One of the people that was pranked called my DS cell phone back - but apparently didn't make an issue of it. We've spoken to our son, took his phone away and had a loong talk about being more assertive and making sure nobody takes his phone without him trying harder to get it back! DH wants to call the other boy's parents and let them know about the calls - we had our DS text his friend and let him know that we know all about it and he's not to touch DS phone again. I'm of a mind to let it go at that since it's the first time - WWYD?
I would inform the kid's parents: "No big deal, just wanted to let you know ..."
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

My DD was part of a small group of prank phone callers...I found out from the parents were DD was sleeping over.

I am SO glad they called me and I knew what was going on.

DD received an appropriate punishment from DH and me.

Hope this helps your decision.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
I'd want to know.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I think it is funny how kids think they can prank in this age of technology.

My son had a sleep over here and the kid was pranking people on both phones I guess. My son was also punished but I was like really how did you think they wouldn't know it was you?
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

We kept getting prank phone calls when my son was in middle school. Now this was a while ago, so I had to *69 the phone to get the number the call was coming from. I called but kept getting the kids answering, no parents.

I finally went through the school phone number directory, found the boy who was in my son's class. Told his mother in person. She was grateful I told her.

I think it is a normal thing for boys that age, but since it can get out of hand telling the parents in a "thought you might like to know" way is called for in this situation.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

I wouldn't call. You deal with your son and they can deal with theirs, he will eventually get caught.

Kids have been prank calling since the dawn of telephones! It is a minor blimp on the radar of growing up, relax.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I wouldn't call the parents. If it keeps happening, maybe, but not for just this one time.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy
im sorry but am i the only one who thinks its strange that the parent driving didn't say anything while it was going on? seriously. how do you not know? they're in the car for crying out loud.

btw I would probably tell the parents.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
im sorry but am i the only one who thinks its strange that the parent driving didn't say anything while it was going on? seriously. how do you not know? they're in the car for crying out loud.

btw I would probably tell the parents.

I thought so too! Especially since my son was in the back seat and his friend was in the front - I found a short video clip timed 5 minutes after the pranking and it shows my son saying 'give it back already' two or three times and his friend just cracking up. And his friend was in the front passenger seat of the minivan.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:

I thought so too! Especially since my son was in the back seat and his friend was in the front - I found a short video clip timed 5 minutes after the pranking and it shows my son saying 'give it back already' two or three times and his friend just cracking up. And his friend was in the front passenger seat of the minivan.
what the hell? what is wrong with that parent? I would not allow that to happen. How he or she can sit there and say nothing is beyond me. I wonder what else this kid gets away with at home!? in this case, you bet I would call the parent and ask why he or she allowed this to happen with your sons phone, why didn't he/she step in. ridiculous!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Can your son put a passcode on his phone?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
FayeW
DIS Veteran

I think you are being ridiculous taking your son's phone. Seems to me that you are punishing the victim. You've got him on video asking several times for his phone back while the adult in charge ignored what was happening....geez, how much more proof do you need?

He did nothing wrong and more importantly, he knew what the other kid was doing was wrong and tried to stop him. The fault lies with the parent who did nothing to stop his/her kid, not your son.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
what the hell? what is wrong with that parent? I would not allow that to happen. How he or she can sit there and say nothing is beyond me. I wonder what else this kid gets away with at home!? in this case, you bet I would call the parent and ask why he or she allowed this to happen with your sons phone, why didn't he/she step in. ridiculous!

The parent was the birthday girl's dad - not the boy who made the calls. But yeah, don't understand how or why he didn't notice or stop the shenanigans going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
Can your son put a passcode on his phone?
I'll have to check on that tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW View Post
I think you are being ridiculous taking your son's phone. Seems to me that you are punishing the victim. You've got him on video asking several times for his phone back while the adult in charge ignored what was happening....geez, how much more proof do you need?

He did nothing wrong and more importantly, he knew what the other kid was doing was wrong and tried to stop him. The fault lies with the parent who did nothing to stop his/her kid, not your son.
We already gave it back to him, as soon as we realized he wasn't participating in the pranking.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:

The parent was the birthday girl's dad - not the boy who made the calls. But yeah, don't understand how or why he didn't notice or stop the shenanigans going on.
I understand that. I still think its ridiculous that a parent was in the car and did nothing. id have a few words with that parent. and i agree that your son did nothing wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: