Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
MomRN
DIS Veteran

Just back... some random thoughts and observations.

Just came back from a week at Port Orleans Riverside. It was me, my husband, my 18 year old step-daughter, her 17 year old friend, and 6 year old son. I didn't take pictures to justify a trip report, but wanted to make some general observations and comments about this stay.

1. This is my fourth trip in 3 years... first time off-site, 2nd and 3rd and All Star Movies, and this time at Port Orleans. The scenary at Port Orleans is gorgeous and the room was much better. However, we were not big fans of the layout, food court, and buses. We both discussed it, and agree that Port Orleans was nice, but we liked Movies better. (I know this is probably a minority opinion, there will be several of those here)

2. However, my son had a blast during the Pirate Adventure, and I would suggest that to anyone going to a resort that offers it. It was the perfect time to do laundry also.

3. I don't feel the love for Le Cellier and O'hana. We did Le Cellier lunch and have done both O'hana breakfast and dinner. I much preferred Liberty Tree, 50's Prime Time, Chef Mickeys, and Yak and Yeti (in that order). We had a blast at 50's Prime Time with Uncle Tim, and is a must do with teenagers that like to play on the phone (they got sent to the corner- it was great).

4. This was our second Halloween Party. Unfortunately it rained for most of the party and most things were cancelled or delayed. We received a refund for our tickets, no questions asked.

5. My 6 year old was really into pin trading this time. He also had a blast doing pressed pennies and the portals for the Sorceror game. However, those things take time and must plan accordingly.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. It was a great trip. It was humid and rained frequently, but wasn't awful. Ready to go back!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Glad to see you enjoyed your trip!

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
puddinpie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRN View Post

2. However, my son had a blast during the Pirate Adventure, and I would suggest that to anyone going to a resort that offers it. It was the perfect time to do laundry also.
What is the Pirate Adventure and what resorts offer it? My sons love anything like that
Old 10-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
meredith1
DIS Veteran

I don't understand the hype on O'hana either and because of the reviews of LC, I have no interest. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a good trip! I feel the same about the moderate hotels in general..If I can't swing deluxe or DVC I stay value.Just not a fan of the moderates.Also agree about Ohana and Le Cellier
Old 10-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

Glad you had a nice trip! We've stayed at Movies twice now and I have NO complaints!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
MomRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinpie View Post
What is the Pirate Adventure and what resorts offer it? My sons love anything like that
We did ours at Riverside, but a google search shows Yacht/Beach Clubs, Grand Floridian, and Caribbean Beach also offer it. It was around $35 and they take them from 9:30-11:30. They get a small treasure bag at the end. I think ages 4-12, no parents allowed.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
1. This is my fourth trip in 3 years... first time off-site, 2nd and 3rd and All Star Movies, and this time at Port Orleans. The scenary at Port Orleans is gorgeous and the room was much better. However, we were not big fans of the layout, food court, and buses. We both discussed it, and agree that Port Orleans was nice, but we liked Movies better. (I know this is probably a minority opinion, there will be several of those here)

Count me in as well. Maybe because I am from The South, the theming at POR is nothing special to me. I DO like the food court, especially the build your own pasta, but overall my fave resort is AS Music.

3. I don't feel the love for Le Cellier and O'hana. We did Le Cellier lunch and have done both O'hana breakfast and dinner.

While I have only eaten at LC once, it was good, but I did not find it lived up to the hype--particularly the bread sticks and cheddar cheese soup. OHna I have tried more than once and it just isn't for me. Chaos, poor service and very, very well cooked meats.
Yes, hot and humid but fun! I just got back on Thursday.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
turningleaf
Mouseketeer

It is a 2 hour (approx?) pirate themed boat ride/ treasure hunt. Kids 4-12 only, parents don't go. It is very well chaperoned by Disney CMs. You can also catch it at Grand Floridian and Yacht Club. You can call the restaurant reservation line to get the schedule and to make reservations.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
mlittig
DIS Veteran

Glad you enjoyed your trip

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop Century 9/11 Pop Century 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 12/20/14 Christmas Magic 4/17/15 Pop Century
Old 10-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I personally like POR but like ASmo also, I can't say one pulls me more than other.
AS for Ohana I like brfst but can take or leave it, never done dinner there.
Lecellar I like but agree don't get hype on Soup or bread sticks although I do like warm pretzel in any shape. My Lc lunch was blah and we had old cold bread, our dinners have been good but nothing better than say Logan's roadhouse or Texas roadhouse here at home.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
MomRN
DIS Veteran

About the food court- the build your own pasta was very good. I was more disappointed in the space and amount of tables. It seemed so very small compared to ASMo and ASMu (which we ate at frequently during one stay).

As for the cheese soup- we have a grocery store that has better. The steak was very tender, but very little taste (I had the mushroom filet).

The little guy really wants to do CarsLand in DL, so my goal is a trip there in the summer... and hopefully WDW in November or December...

Oh, I was also hoping they would be promoting Wreck It Ralph with some merchandise or something since ds is a big video game fan. Besides some signs on buses there wasn't any sign of it.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Thanks for your thoughts I am also a fan of LTT. DH and I will be doing 'Ohanna dinner for the first time in January. Hope it's OK. -Amanda
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Were you at Riverside or French Quarter? IME the bus service and resort layout is much better at POFQ.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
puddinpie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We did ours at Riverside, but a google search shows Yacht/Beach Clubs, Grand Floridian, and Caribbean Beach also offer it. It was around $35 and they take them from 9:30-11:30. They get a small treasure bag at the end. I think ages 4-12, no parents allowed.
Thanks for the info. Do you have to be staying at that particular resort to participate? We will be staying at POP Century. Did they enjoy it a lot? I guess I am asking if it is worth $35 a piece?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: