Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran
 
pdwimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 749

CMs Complaining Openly?

I hesitated to bring up this thread, because honestly I don't want to get anyone nervous. But after contemplating another cruise, having been on Dream twice this year, I need to know if I should just take a land vacation next year instead.

The first time on the Dream in February 2012 we heard very brief mumbling from the crew that they really didn't like working on the Dream versus the Magic and Wonder that they had been taken from. Entirely new workers were just overcome with work and never seemed to know what was going on.

In September it was VERY apparent many of them didn't want to be there. Our stateroom host made comments about there being too many rooms to clean in one day and begged us to be out of the room at certain hours so he could get his work done. Not a problem, we worked out a schedule.

There were 2 bars I went to regularly between afternoon activities and evening activities while the kids were resting. I was able to watch the other kids getting pictures taken before early dinning and whatnot. Every single one of them indicated they do not prefer the Dream and were transferred against their request. One of them even went as far as to say they felt like a prisoner.

The last night of the cruise our servers went through great pains to explain how important the comment card is for them. They appreciated the regular tip that was already paid plus the additional cash we gave them. But they really NEEDED that good remark on the comment cards. They certainly deserved it so it was not a problem to provide.

What is going on?
__________________
The Wimmers
(Derek) (Trish)(Bryant) (Spencer)(Dorothy): (Nancy)
pdwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
truck1
Growing older but not up.
 
truck1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Clermont Fl
Posts: 4,111

When we were on the Fantasy Maiden, we hadnt noticed any open complaining. In fact I got the opposite. We ran into the officer that married us on the Magic and I was talking to him for a little while and he begged his boss to move to the Fantasy. The servers we had the first night, had a trainee with them, and they seemed a little flustered with her, but she was moved the next night and we got someone else as a trainee.But after the 3rd night, any frustration they may have had was gone. Ive personally never had a crew member, either wait staff or room staff, beg me for a good grade on the card.
Im probably in the minority, but Ill grade the ship and crew as fairly as I can. If the crew is average, Ill put that down. If 1 or more go out of their way for me or my family, Ill make sure that I send multiple hard copies to different places to make sure that they are recognized for it. Same as if there was substandard performance. Ill put that in. Only if I think there is no hope for that person. If I see they are trying and they improve a little bit, Ill let it go and encourage them. But Im not going to slam them on the grade either.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
jahber
DIS Veteran
 
jahber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,191

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer
I hesitated to bring up this thread, because honestly I don't want to get anyone nervous. But after contemplating another cruise, having been on Dream twice this year, I need to know if I should just take a land vacation next year instead.

The first time on the Dream in February 2012 we heard very brief mumbling from the crew that they really didn't like working on the Dream versus the Magic and Wonder that they had been taken from. Entirely new workers were just overcome with work and never seemed to know what was going on.

In September it was VERY apparent many of them didn't want to be there. Our stateroom host made comments about there being too many rooms to clean in one day and begged us to be out of the room at certain hours so he could get his work done. Not a problem, we worked out a schedule.

There were 2 bars I went to regularly between afternoon activities and evening activities while the kids were resting. I was able to watch the other kids getting pictures taken before early dinning and whatnot. Every single one of them indicated they do not prefer the Dream and were transferred against their request. One of them even went as far as to say they felt like a prisoner.

The last night of the cruise our servers went through great pains to explain how important the comment card is for them. They appreciated the regular tip that was already paid plus the additional cash we gave them. But they really NEEDED that good remark on the comment cards. They certainly deserved it so it was not a problem to provide.

What is going on?
Interesting. We had our head server, server, assistant server, and another server (wasn't our Fantasy server but was our server on the Dream) tell us they couldn't wait to go back to the Dream. The Fantasy doesn't sail with enough people, so it hurts their tips. BUT, we specifically asked for their opinions (particularly the head server and our Dream server because we knew them and were surprised to see them on a different ship)--they did not offer them. They were just being honest, which I respect.

I'm not doubting your experience at all, though. It's just interesting that you encountered so many people who wanted to leave the Dream, whereas the only unhappy people we met wanted to go BACK to the Dream. The grass is always greener, maybe?

On a side note, only once did our server on the Fantasy mention the dreaded comment card and when I told him we knew what to do, he dropped it. The word "excellence" never passed his lips. Phew! I had heard some real horror stories about that.

In the name of research, I will go on a Dream cruise later this month and report back.
__________________
Wonder 7-night Alaska 9/13
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer View Post
I hesitated to bring up this thread, because honestly I don't want to get anyone nervous. But after contemplating another cruise, having been on Dream twice this year, I need to know if I should just take a land vacation next year instead.

The first time on the Dream in February 2012 we heard very brief mumbling from the crew that they really didn't like working on the Dream versus the Magic and Wonder that they had been taken from. Entirely new workers were just overcome with work and never seemed to know what was going on.

In September it was VERY apparent many of them didn't want to be there. Our stateroom host made comments about there being too many rooms to clean in one day and begged us to be out of the room at certain hours so he could get his work done. Not a problem, we worked out a schedule.

There were 2 bars I went to regularly between afternoon activities and evening activities while the kids were resting. I was able to watch the other kids getting pictures taken before early dinning and whatnot. Every single one of them indicated they do not prefer the Dream and were transferred against their request. One of them even went as far as to say they felt like a prisoner.

The last night of the cruise our servers went through great pains to explain how important the comment card is for them. They appreciated the regular tip that was already paid plus the additional cash we gave them. But they really NEEDED that good remark on the comment cards. They certainly deserved it so it was not a problem to provide.

What is going on?
My personal take on this is that CMs working the Dream have a much harder time of it. The cruises are shorter, so they have, basically, twice as many turn around days. Less time to "get to know" their guests, and (just my opinion) more guests that are more demanding, wanting to do "everything" in the shorter amount of time onboard.

On the longer cruises, it's just more relaxing and the CMs seem to enjoy it more.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....
 
Kim&Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,565

The last time we were on the Magic, we became friendly with one of the CM's in the bar. He told us several times how happy he was (and lots of other CM's) to be on the Magic. He did state that some of his friends had to go work on the Dream, and they really didn't like it at all.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 15,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
My personal take on this is that CMs working the Dream have a much harder time of it. The cruises are shorter, so they have, basically, twice as many turn around days. Less time to "get to know" their guests, and (just my opinion) more guests that are more demanding, wanting to do "everything" in the shorter amount of time onboard.

On the longer cruises, it's just more relaxing and the CMs seem to enjoy it more.

and i'm betting that on shorter cruises, people tip less per day since, as you mentioned, there is less time to connect with the CMs....
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,411

I bet it is harder, especially for the stateroom attendants, to have to do the turn around days 2x in a week. So even if the tips are the same, the work is harder. And on a 3 night cruise, I can't imagine that you come to appreciate your server as much as you do on a 7 night. So the tips might not be as good for the servers.

I know on the WBTA I felt like everyone - the crew and passengers, were more relaxed with the long trip and I felt like the servers got to know us and were able to anticipate our needs more.

I kind of want to do the Dream just to see what the ship is like, but I don't think I would enjoy even just a 4 night cruise...
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
dibond38
Mouseketeer
 
dibond38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 163

Dream CM

We just got off the Dream last week and had an exceptional time. All the CM's were great and exceeded our expectations on friendliness. The night we were in Nassau, the captain kept the ship in port until 1:30am so the crew could have a few hours off. This was a reward for the great scores they got on their surveys.

I would highly recommend the Dream.
__________________
Steve, Diana and Emily
Celebration, FL
dibond38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran
 
DMMarla07860's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Andover, nj
Posts: 6,113

I know of some CM's I've talked with who worked on either Magic/Wonder and Dream/Fantasy and some of liked the bigger ships more and some liked the smaller ones more
__________________
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

On the Fantasy we did hear that some people preferred the Magic, but that was only in response to our questions. The usual was that the Fantasy was beautiful, but "So big," or that they'd been with the Magic for a long time and wanted to go "home" to her. Again--only in response to our questions, no spontaneous grumbling.

The short cruises vs. long cruises stuff is interesting when we've talked to the crew. Those who are used to the 7 night have no interest in the short cruises and have commented about getting to know the guests, but those doing the shorter cruises were worried about tips on the longer cruises, feeling that the amounts seemed so high that some guests might tend to under-tip (as in a family of 4 on a 7 night has suggested tips of about $350...while 4 + 3 totals the same amount, it might feel less when a family has a tip bill of $200. Interesting perceptions.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,154

I can understand that they don't like change. Also throw into the mix of a new ship, new itinery. mix of unseasoned workers, and larger work loads for the same or less money that would tend to put a damper on your enthusiasm.The Magic had established upper management and officers that the workers have established a relationship with over time and coming to a new ship they have to prove themselves all over again. That is why they are so excited for good reviews because they can be fired on a whim and a large number of C.M. feed their families back home on their salary. They are sort of prisoners because their family NEED that money coming home.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
diane648
Mouseketeer
 
diane648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 311

Grumbling

On our last cruise, we took my Mom & sister-in-law. Their stateroom host told them every day how her supervisor didn't like her, she was doing the best she could, etc. One day, she sat down and cried in their room. They were taken aback, as they had never cruised before & weren't quite sure how to handle it.

On the 2nd to the last day, she stopped by to tell them she'd been fired & would be leaving the ship. I'm really sorry she was having a bad time, but I was also a bit pissed that she kept bring it up to my Mom. They were always pleasant with her and didn't go out of their way to start a conversation with her. It made my Mom so uncomfortable - to the point where she was almost afraid to go to her room at certain times of the day because she didn't want to run into her.

We've always had lovely stateroom hosts each time we sailed.
diane648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 15,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane648 View Post
On our last cruise, we took my Mom & sister-in-law. Their stateroom host told them every day how her supervisor didn't like her, she was doing the best she could, etc. One day, she sat down and cried in their room. They were taken aback, as they had never cruised before & weren't quite sure how to handle it.

On the 2nd to the last day, she stopped by to tell them she'd been fired & would be leaving the ship. I'm really sorry she was having a bad time, but I was also a bit pissed that she kept bring it up to my Mom. They were always pleasant with her and didn't go out of their way to start a conversation with her. It made my Mom so uncomfortable - to the point where she was almost afraid to go to her room at certain times of the day because she didn't want to run into her.

We've always had lovely stateroom hosts each time we sailed.
i'm surprised they have access to guests after they've been fired - if they can't immediately be escorted from the ship, they should be confined to the crew areas of the ship in an attempt to protect passengers from one of them going postal. though presumably they don't have access to firearms, there's a lot of damage they could do with more primitive weaponry.
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
PiMCTaylor
Earning My Ears
 
PiMCTaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family

i'm surprised they have access to guests after they've been fired - if they can't immediately be escorted from the ship, they should be confined to the crew areas of the ship in an attempt to protect passengers from one of them going postal. though presumably they don't have access to firearms, there's a lot of damage they could do with more primitive weaponry.
It surprises me too. I wouldn't think so much about postal employees as much as the bad p.r. that comes from a guest having this experience. I would hope that the family who was told about this reported it to Guest Services. Afraid to go back to my stateroom? Yeah, I don't think so.
PiMCTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
diane648
Mouseketeer
 
diane648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiMCTaylor View Post
It surprises me too. I wouldn't think so much about postal employees as much as the bad p.r. that comes from a guest having this experience. I would hope that the family who was told about this reported it to Guest Services. Afraid to go back to my stateroom? Yeah, I don't think so.
I asked my Mom if she'd like me to go to Guest Services & talk with them, but she asked me not to. She wasn't really afraid of the person - just didn't want to get involved in her drama.
diane648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.