Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Out of the DVC properties on WDW, what is considered the best one?

Thinking about renting one for early Dec 2013 for Christmas for 11 nights. Out of these, which is considered the best one (the most "deluxe")? Or if you had to choose, which one and why?

Our early picks are Animal Kingdom Villas because of the Savanna view or Bay Lake Towers because of the monorail access and close proximity to our favorite park, Magic Kingdom. Ideas?

Animal Kingdom Villas
Beach Club Villas
Boardwalk Villas
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs Resort
Villas At Wilderness Lodge
Bay Lake Towers

Thanks!

Ethan

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

BLT - walking distance to MK - newest - easy access to the monorail and bus hub at MK (so if you have dinner plans at the AKL, you can walk to the AKL bus for the MK pretty easily) - downside: studios are tiny and some furnishings are apparently not wearing well.

BCV - very popular for epcot/DHS focused trips - stormalong bay is a great pool area (less of an issue for dec trips) -impressive christmas decorations in lobby

AKV-jambo house - impressive christmas decorations in lobby - giraffes/zebras right outside your balcony - downside: way, way away from the MK - (also has the only club level option for DVC - very limited, though).

all DVCs are a little less "deluxe" due to sofabeds and limited housekeeping schedules.

many DVCers have their favorites, but my guess is that BLT is generally the "best" for MK-focused trips (and is priced accordingly). i like OKW since it's the only DVC with 2 queen beds in the studios and the point costs are lower (OKW studios are also relatively larger) - there are always trade-offs.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
abner1776
DIS Veteran

While it's true that BLT is the most difficult to book, that's only because of it's proximity to MK. As as DVC member I have stayed at BLT and I am not a big fan of the studio rooms at BLT..too small and too sparse. I liked BWV studio rooms better than BLT.

As far as which resort is the best...ask 10 people and you will get 10 equal answers.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
all DVCs are a little less "deluxe" due to sofabeds
So ALL studios just have a Queen + a pullout?

What does a one-bedroom unit have in it for beds?

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
chalee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
So ALL studios just have a Queen + a pullout?
OKW is the only exception with 2 queens. all other studios have 1 queen + 1 doublesized pullout sofabed.

Quote:
What does a one-bedroom unit have in it for beds?
all DVC 1BRs have a king bed in the master BR + 1 queensized pullout sofabed in the living room.

1BRs at AKV-kidani and BLT 1BRs add a pullout sleeper chair (also a second bathroom).

Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Thinking about renting one for early Dec 2013 for Christmas for 11 nights. Out of these, which is considered the best one (the most "deluxe")? Or if you had to choose, which one and why?

Our early picks are Animal Kingdom Villas because of the Savanna view or Bay Lake Towers because of the monorail access and close proximity to our favorite park, Magic Kingdom. Ideas?

Animal Kingdom Villas
Beach Club Villas
Boardwalk Villas
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs Resort
Villas At Wilderness Lodge
Bay Lake Towers

Thanks!

Ethan
Be aware that early December is very popular with DVC members. Be prepared to rent at 11 months.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

If your thinking about a studio, I'd rather a regular room at wdw with 2 queen beds. Unless its OKW that does have 2 beds.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
ethanwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
If your thinking about a studio, I'd rather a regular room at wdw with 2 queen beds.
With two kids at 5 and 7, a pullout is fine for them. If they were older, like teens, then I agree.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
ethanwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Be aware that early December is very popular with DVC members. Be prepared to rent at 11 months.
I want to rent from Dec 2-13, 2013. What is the EXACT day I should put in my reservation?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
chalee94

for BLT (especially for a theme park or standard view room), probably jan 2. (it would be more complicated for the member since they'd have to book 7 nights on jan 2 and then call back later to book the last few nights of the reservation but the details would be for them to sort out).

Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
ethanwa

Ok thanks. I am going to go through dvcrequest.com as they will do all the work for me and seem very reputable.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
twodogs
Mouseketeer

Here is the BLT 1 bedroom floor plan. Plenty of room for you and family. We loved our 1 bedroom with our 4 and 6 yo kids in May. Lots of space, so close to MK (walk) and just loved it!!!
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

If I were going that time of year and wanted to be close to the MK, I think I'd pick the VWL over BLT. The WL is very popular at Christmas time due to their decorations.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
I want to rent from Dec 2-13, 2013. What is the EXACT day I should put in my reservation?
You need to put your request in before Jan 2 because the member needs to book it exactly at 11 months out when MS opens or on line. Contact the broker and see what they say.

The BLT studio is the smallest of all the WDW studios except for the AKV Value studio. A lot of the space in the BLT studio is in the entranceway, the bathroom and the kitchenette. That leaves very little for the living space. When the sleeper sofa is open, the beds are pretty much wall to wall (window) with very little space between them. The bed doesn't have a night stand next to it. The night stand is incorporated into the headboard.

With two kids, I recommend a one bedroom at BLT or a different studio. Especially for 11 nights.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
marko
Mouseketeer

Take a look at each resort and see what style and location appeals most to your family.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: