Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
DisneyLvr12
Mouseketeer

AP....would you get one?!

I wasn't quite sure where to put this question, so hopefully, it's in the right spot!

Just curious.....would you get the AP if you only planned on 2, 7 day WDW trips in a year's time? After doing the math, it is paid for if you go for 12 days. If we buy the pass it's $1700 for 2 adults, 1 child. A 7 day park hopper is about $1017. If we go 2x in a calendar year, each for 7 days using park hoppers, we've already paid more than what the AP would have cost!

Just wondering if you would do it or not?!
DisneyLvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

If you are actually planning on having 2 seven day trips, then it would be less expensive and I don't see why not. However, if you would only be adding on the second trip to justify the annual pass ... then you have to plan if you really want to do that etc.

One downside is not being able to take advantage of special package offers. But if you are already saving money by having the AP, then add a room only discount that could be a great deal.

I would love to buy an annual pass for the family, but with 6 kids and 2 adults (all paying the same price), it is a little cost prohibitive. I'm still considering it though!
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

If you are definitely going to go 2x during the calendar year, and PH tickets would cost more, why would you not buy the Annual Pass?

We have APs this year because we were going for a week in August and 8 days in January. It just made sense mathematically to get them this year. Of course, any money we saved is now spent because I've found a way to make a 3rd trip this year. "Hey honey! We can go back and stay at Pop for a couple of days. It will be so cheap considering we already have tickets and we get the AP discount on the room!" ( But, I must admit, that was part of my plan!)
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

Don't forget with an AP you can get 10% off several restaurants in WDW (including DTD) and merchandise stores, free parking at the theme parks (I think).

If you're staying at a WDW resort, there's normally AP discounts on select resorts ranging from 5% - 35% off which is another great saving.

Personally, I'd go for it!
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Definitely. Not only will it have paid for itself, but the AP discounts are a huge benefit. We had a Premier Pass for our last few WDW and Disneyland trips and I will surely miss it on our upcoming visit now that it's expired.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
GraceMonica
DIS Veteran

Another benefit of the AP is the TiW card (20% discount on food AND alcohol at a number of restaurants!). Plus AP offers discounts on merch, tours, and a few other things.

If I were in your situation, I would definitely get an AP.
GraceMonica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
DisneyLvr12
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! Pretty sure we're going to get them! We've had APs before and we ended up going 3x - LOL! DS is still free, so we figured we might as well get one more year in before we have to pay for him.

They do offer great AP room only discounts which have worked really well for us in the past. We've also done TIW and it really is a great discount! Maybe even better than DDP - still trying to figure that out and decide.

Definitely great benefits to the AP if you know you're going to go 12 or more days in one calendar year!
DisneyLvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
nancy155
DIS Veteran

We purchased our PH's at Undercover Tourist and then bridged the tickets after our first day at a theme park to annual passes. This saved us a lot of money.. We are going three times during our annual pass this year.

We do not stay on property as have RCI timeshare which also saves a ton as well. ($144.00 for a week in a two bedroom condo). We have had the wonderful experience of trading into WDW at Wilderness Lodge Villas once which was great as it was during the holiday season.

My vote is for the annual passes it has so many benefits to it! (Def. gives you an excuse for additional trips!)

nancy155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
motherof2boys
Mouseketeer

Didn't really read all the past posts carefully but I can tell you what works for my Family of 4 (both Boys are over 10 so considered Disney Adults
I work in the Public School system so we're limited with Vacation time. We're also DVC Members so we go once a year for 12-14 days. We discovered it's cheaper for us to buy Annual Passes. We go in June or August each year. That way we get aprox 30 days out of our passes. We also get the Tables in Wonderland card to save 20% (don't quote me maybe it's 10 or 15%) on each meal.
motherof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

We did. We were going for two days before our cruise, ten days for vacation, and another five days in the fall. In the end, we were there for almost two weeks in the summer due to DH having a conference in Orlando. We got great discounts on our hotels that helped save even more money and we saved money on nearly every purchase we made while on our trips.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: