Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Should I get an iPhone and give up my unlimited data?

My husband and I share a plan on Verizon. We both have Droids, unlimited data, a decent amount of texting (enough that we never go over), etc. We are very happy with our plan. It's a corporate rate and we pay a total of $122.78 after taxes, month in and month out.

We are on Verizon and will not leave Verizon -- it has the best coverage in our area (rocky, hilly, trees - we've tried AT&T and T-Mobile and Verizon is the best.)

We are eligible for new phones and would like to get iPhone 5s. However, that would mean giving up our unlimited data plans (unless we pay full price for the phone - haven't done that before and don't want to now.) Or we could get Samsung Galaxys. Or "other" - there's always an other.

Would we be foolish to give up the unlimited data plans? Once they're gone, there's no getting them back. What would you do?

(BTW why do I want an iPhone? Two reasons: Scrabble and iTunes. You could maybe talk my husband into a Samsung Galaxy, but I've made up my mind regarding the phone.)
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
descovy
DIS Veteran

Can you somehow track or find out how much data you currently use? Sounds like you have had smart phones for awhile so you could figure out your average data and purchase a plan that covers that with a little wiggle room.

I have wifi at home, work, and occasionally in various public hotspots. I don't use a ton of data because of the wifi I have available.

My data use is looking up maps and directions, checking email, and maybe keeping myself busy at a doctors waiting room. Maybe download a song I just heard on the radio.

Check for yourself, but you may not use as much data as you think you do. In which case why pay for unlimited if you don't take full advantage.
descovy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
My husband and I share a plan on Verizon. We both have Droids, unlimited data, a decent amount of texting (enough that we never go over), etc. We are very happy with our plan. It's a corporate rate and we pay a total of $122.78 after taxes, month in and month out.

We are on Verizon and will not leave Verizon -- it has the best coverage in our area (rocky, hilly, trees - we've tried AT&T and T-Mobile and Verizon is the best.)

We are eligible for new phones and would like to get iPhone 5s. However, that would mean giving up our unlimited data plans (unless we pay full price for the phone - haven't done that before and don't want to now.) Or we could get Samsung Galaxys. Or "other" - there's always an other.

Would we be foolish to give up the unlimited data plans? Once they're gone, there's no getting them back. What would you do?

(BTW why do I want an iPhone? Two reasons: Scrabble and iTunes. You could maybe talk my husband into a Samsung Galaxy, but I've made up my mind regarding the phone.)
What I would do is something you said you would not do.

I would get my Iphone5 and go with Sprint which has unlimited data and unlimited texting for the price you are paying.

As for that, my husband has to use his smart phone almost constantly for work so has done a ton of research on the two. The Samsung Galaxy out rates the Iphone5 in almost every category. So, he will be upgrading to the Galaxy this month. The only one in our family who wants the Iphone is our 16 year old and that is because it is the "cool" phone. Doesn't care about features, battery life, etc. Thus, we will have 4 Galaxy 3's and 1 Iphone5 in our family by Christmas.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

I've heard conflicting reports on the "losing unlimited data". We upgraded recently, got the upgrade and kept our unlimited data.
lsyorke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

As another poster suggested, have Verizon analyze the last few months of your usage. They will be able to tell you in just a few minutes whether your usage exceeds the plan they will downgrade you to from unlimited.

For the record, I have had Droids and liked them a lot, but I LOVE my iPhone. (I have the 4S and see no reason to get the 5, for now).
Old 10-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Fyi: don't plan on using the GPS maps on the i phone 5. They suck.
Keep with your unlimited data plan. Have you uploaded you music to google play yet?
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
figmentswife
One little spark will light your fancy

We upgraded to the iPhone5 and also had unlimited data before the switch. I called Verizon before the change and found out that we only used an average of 2g of data per month but to be sure I decided to go with the 6g for the first couple of months. I keep checking our usage and 2 weeks into it we have only used less then 1g of data. Now I will say that I have wifi at home and work so that helps.

I say go for it.... Get the iPhone 5 you will not look back

Oh and I have me and my 17 DS and my 10DD on our plan
figmentswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I should have mentioned that - I use 1.5 to 2.5 G a month. My husband is right around 3 a month. Thanks for all the input!
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

hurry and order one... iPhone 5 is soo backordered right now. I ordered one release date and is still waiting for my iPhone.

16days and still no updates on my phone.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

I'd look at doing nothing, keeping the phones and plan you have now.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I could've written your post 3 months ago. I was trying to come to the same decision - only difference was that I was eligible for an upgrade 2 weeks before the unlimited data was discontinued. I was thinking about waiting until Sept when everyone assumed the iPhone5 was coming out, and taking the hit on the tiered data pricing. Ultimately, DH and I decided to keep our unlimited data and upgrade to new Android devices - for 2 reasons: Google Navigation and unlimited data! For the money, I use about 3G of data each month and DH uses about 2. So our bill would have definitely gone up. Google Maps/Navigation - I just really can't give this up. I use it all the time - sometimes daily, and nothing beats it. The turn-by-turn voice navigation and accuracy can't be matched by Apple at the moment, so we stayed with Android and our unlimited data and are happy with that choice. Good luck with yours!
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Can you somehow track or find out how much data you currently use? Sounds like you have had smart phones for awhile so you could figure out your average data and purchase a plan that covers that with a little wiggle room.

I have wifi at home, work, and occasionally in various public hotspots. I don't use a ton of data because of the wifi I have available.

My data use is looking up maps and directions, checking email, and maybe keeping myself busy at a doctors waiting room. Maybe download a song I just heard on the radio.

Check for yourself, but you may not use as much data as you think you do. In which case why pay for unlimited if you don't take full advantage.
I do not use my employers wifi. That is the same as using your company PC to surf the internet.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
I do not use my employers wifi. That is the same as using your company PC to surf the internet.
Depends. Some companies do not have personal use restrictions or have a separate open network for personal devices.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:

OP, just to be the bearer of bad news, sorry, but Verizon is doing away with even the grandfathered unlimited data.

DH has unlimited with Verizon with a corporate rate also. The last time he spoke with them they said that the next time he upgrades, around spring of 2014, he loses it. He will need to get a share plan. I am also on this account. Upgraded to my first smartphone less and a month ago. Right now I have the smallest data plan. He uses much more data than I do. When we have to "share everything", we will be getting the 6GB plan.

Here's some info
http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/16/tech...plan/index.htm

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
fall08CP
Cheesehead

How in the world do you hit 2GB? Do you not have wifi at home?

I lived without wifi last year (home or work) and used my cell data exclusively. I never hit 2GB. Came close once, but I can't imagine hitting it with wifi at home. I wonder if you have things running in the background eating up your data. I don't ever use my phone at work, save for lunch break, but I'd find a hotspot (restaurant/library) if I needed to access anything that badly.

But.. Point is.. I'd take the iphone and monitor my data usage. Unless you don't have wifi at home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: