Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

oh the horror....LOL

Just thought I'd share....this evening while talking with my DD6(who has done 6 Disney cruises and no others) I was telling her we were hoping to go on a 12 night cruise to Europe next summer. She got super excited until I told her it wouldn't be Disney. Her face went from pure excitement to a look of shock like I had just committed blasphemy. I couldn't help but laugh at her when I realized she has the same fear as DH and myself. The itinerary and price is just to good to justify Disney this trip:'(

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We "jumped ship" and did a non-DCL european cruise last year. We figured it was such a port-intensive cruise we really wouldn't have enough time to enjoy the ship, and the cheaper(!) fare paid for lots of shore excursions. And the food was better too.

Meanwhile, we also did the DCL Hawaii cruise this year -- lots of sea days, so we had plenty of time to enjoy the Disney atmosphere.

Disney is our favorite cruise line, but there definitely other great ships/lines out there. So many cruises; so little time/money.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I would consider DCL for a port-intensive Europe cruise only if their prices and itinerary were as good as those of other cruise lines. I've sailed in Europe on RCI, Celebrity, and Princess, and all were great cruises.

I'll be on DCL's Transatlantic in May 2013. It has one of the least impressive TA itineraries out there, but the price is right for a long Disney cruise.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

Us too, doing NCL next summer in the med. Just a moving hotel. For 6 it was sooooooooo much cheaper!!
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

We are looking at NCLs 12 night med from Barcelona to Venice and being it is sooo port intense is why we are looking to jump ship to half the price. That pays for a LOT of excursions

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
carpenta
DIS Veteran

We did DCL as well as RCL in the Med. and had a wonderful cruise on both lines. Like you state the cash you save goes a long way to shore excursions. Have a wonderful cruise.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

This made me laugh, since we're doing a not quite as port intensive 14 day Mediterranean cruise with RCCL next summer. We are doing it out of Southampton (and really only looked at cruises that sail out of England) because we can get a nonstop from Houston to Heathrow, and we're taking our (then) DD2 and DS8. I didn't want to mess with changing planes to get there with young children. (That is what we did when we took our DS when he was 5, too, and it worked pretty well.)

The only think I'm worrying about is no nursery on the RCCL ship we'll be on. I hope we don't regret our choice of ship.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We did a "try out" on another line this summer as a preliminary to Europe. Family rules--we're on DCL. IMHO, the food on the other line was better, but the entertainment on DCL is far superior.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
darwinsrule
Mouseketeer

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just call DCL and tell them where and when and they made it happen?

We have both the Dream and the Fantasy booked for next year. This summer we strayed so we could get to Bermuda. Loved the island so much we will stray again. The kids (8 & 4) actually did better with the fact that it was non-DCL then their parents. Now if DCL announces Bermuda for 2014 we will have it booked day of release.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD9 DD5
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Mom View Post
We are looking at NCLs 12 night med from Barcelona to Venice and being it is sooo port intense is why we are looking to jump ship to half the price. That pays for a LOT of excursions
That's what we are booked on April 17th.
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Mom View Post
Just thought I'd share....this evening while talking with my DD6(who has done 6 Disney cruises and no others) I was telling her we were hoping to go on a 12 night cruise to Europe next summer. She got super excited until I told her it wouldn't be Disney. Her face went from pure excitement to a look of shock like I had just committed blasphemy. I couldn't help but laugh at her when I realized she has the same fear as DH and myself. The itinerary and price is just to good to justify Disney this trip:'(

All of European cruises have been on other cruise lines. Our children have enjoyed each one as much as our DCL cruises. We used the savings for some absolutely amazing private drivers and tour guides for many of our port days.

In 2013, we will get the best of both worlds. We will sail the Magic's 14 night EBTA to Barcelona, fly to Copenhagen and board the NCL Star a few days later for a Baltic cruise.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

DS7 has been happy on both Celebrity and RCCL. So have we. We all agree that the food is best on Celebrity, and we're foodies, so this matters to us. (Admittedly, even on Celebrity, we spent half our time in specialty restaurants.) I am hoping that our upcoming DCL doesn't ruin him for other lines, because up to now, he's been happy with whatever we've chosen.

I wish DH had the time off to do a transatlantic plus an additional cruise. We've talked about doing it, but haven't so far. He doesn't like to take more than 2 weeks off in a row, although he'll push it a couple of days when we go to Europe.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Rose View Post
DS7 has been happy on both Celebrity and RCCL. So have we. We all agree that the food is best on Celebrity, and we're foodies, so this matters to us. (Admittedly, even on Celebrity, we spent half our time in specialty restaurants.) I am hoping that our upcoming DCL doesn't ruin him for other lines, because up to now, he's been happy with whatever we've chosen.

I wish DH had the time off to do a transatlantic plus an additional cruise. We've talked about doing it, but haven't so far. He doesn't like to take more than 2 weeks off in a row, although he'll push it a couple of days when we go to Europe.
The food on Celebrity was amazing...and we didn't even eat at the upcharge restaurants.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

depending what kind of cruises DCL does in 2014 I'm thinking about jumping ship for at least one cruise. I've always wanted to try RCCL, so might be prefect chance to try a 5 night to test it out.
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinsrule View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if you could just call DCL and tell them where and when and they made it happen?

We have both the Dream and the Fantasy booked for next year. This summer we strayed so we could get to Bermuda. Loved the island so much we will stray again. The kids (8 & 4) actually did better with the fact that it was non-DCL then their parents. Now if DCL announces Bermuda for 2014 we will have it booked day of release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
All of European cruises have been on other cruise lines. Our children have enjoyed each one as much as our DCL cruises. We used the savings for some absolutely amazing private drivers and tour guides for many of our port days.

In 2013, we will get the best of both worlds. We will sail the Magic's 14 night EBTA to Barcelona, fly to Copenhagen and board the NCL Star a few days later for a Baltic cruise.
I think we often forget that our kids are FAR more flexible and accepting of new things than we are. They haven't had time to get set in their ways or have high expectations; they just go and have fun. Wouldn't it be nice to be 8 again?

I'm looking at a European cruise next summer since I'm going to be over there most of May, anyway. None of DCL's cruises meet my timeframe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: