Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
armywife2001
Earning My Ears

military discount question

Does anyone know when military discounts usually come out? Right now the website says only sailings through December 2012.

I asked my travel agent and she said she thinks they only offer them Oct/Nov/Dec...is this true?? Seems odd that they would only have military discounts for 3 months out of the year!

1988-WDW (Off site)
11/2004-WDW (All-Star Sports)
4/2007-Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea
11/2011- WDW (Pop Century)
5/2012- Disneyland
4/2013- Disney Magic Cruise
12/2013- Disneyland
armywife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
our2disneygirls
Mouseketeer

We used the military discount for our first cruise in June 2009, so it is offered other dates. I think it depends on how well cruises are selling. If Disney releases them, it seems to be anywhere from 2 to 4 months out. If you already have a reservation, you may not save any money because the discount is based on the current price.

Good luck!
DL 2003, 2008, 2009, 2011 (DL 1/2 Marathon)
our2disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
snickerdodo
Mouseketeer

we are retired air force and we check the mto on dcl all the time. they have discounts whenever they can. we are going on a ny cruise in a week via military discount.. just keep checking .. they change all the time..
2/03/07 Magic 7-day Eastern Caribbean
11/29/07 Wonder 3-day Bahamas
1/21/10 Wonder 3-day Bahamas
11/03/11 Dream 3-day Bahamas
4/30/12 Magic 4-day Bahamas
9/12/12 Magic 5-day Canada
12/02/12 Dream 4-day Bahamas
10/31/13 Dream 3-day Bahamas
1/18/2014 Fantasy 7-day Western Caribbean
snickerdodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
ADandBsmommy
Earning My Ears

They have them all through out the year and are an amazing deal. We were going to use it for our California Coast cruise but then dh was not able to travel with us due to something coming up at work and unlike theme park tickets you can only use the discount if the member is traveling with you.
ADandBsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
sinnika
DIS Veteran

We have used the military discount on the DCL Med cruises in May 2010 and June 2011. Both times, we had the cruises booked but were able to change to the military rate. We just booked the 7 night Haloween cruise on the Magic out of Galveston. For some reason that cruise has a cheaper MTO rate than the other MTO rates offered on the other October Magic cruises. The MTO discount is now for new bookings only, but may be worth paying the penalty and rebooking depending on how much the savings are. The military member must sail, but may also book 2 additional cabins for friends or family using the MTO discount. . Disney limits the discount to a certain number of cabins so I have seen the MTO rate quickly go on some cruises.
sinnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Camonkeygirl
Mouseketeer

oops

Last edited by Camonkeygirl; 09-03-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Camonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camonkeygirl View Post
I have been told that dependents, with ID, can also use the military rate. I am using it next month for a Pacific Coast cruise, and my DH is not going.

Make sure to put MTO in the special offers available box on the bottom left.
From DCL's website
Quote:
Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel, including U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Department of Defense personnel. Active and retired members of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in. This offer is limited to a maximum of 3 staterooms per military member, per sailing. A U.S. Military service member is required to sail to take advantage of this offer. Activated members of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders (active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).
I hope it works out for you!

We are trying to go on the November 3th cruise out of Galveston. We are still waiting on DH's unit to give him the ok on his leave! I am very impatiently waiting! I keep checking the DCL site to make sure the discount is still there!

Last edited by sissy_ib; 09-03-2012 at 06:24 PM.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Camonkeygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
From DCL's website

I hope it works out for you!

We are trying to go on the November 4th cruise out of Galveston. We are still waiting on DH's unit to give him the ok on his leave! I am very impatiently waiting! I keep checking the DCL site to make sure the discount is still there!
I am double checking on it with my friend and her travel agent.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The military person definitely must sail. Dependent ID's are not sufficient.

Does the average person that checks you in know the difference between a Dependent ID card and a military member ID card? No. So I'm sure people have sailed before without the military member, but that is definitely not DCL's rule.

Whomever told you it was okay may have been confusing the policy with WDW's policy where the spouse's ID will work for the military salute tickets.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
You could call DCL and ask so you don't have to wait for them to get back to you with an answer.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill

You could call DCL and ask so you don't have to wait for them to get back to you with an answer.
Hope you report back! I'm a military spouse whose dh is prepping to deploy for a year. Planning a cruise for midtour but would like to know that I could book/sail in case I am able to book a mil rate but dh's plans get messed up, etc

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
armywife2001
Earning My Ears

Yeah, our TA told us when I asked about the military rate that if one came out before we paid in full, we could rebook with it and she really emphasized the fact that DH would have to be with us. Not that we would ever go without him! We made sure our insurance would cover us if his leave was revoked at the last minute (they can't put in leave until a month out)

I check the MTO code daily but still nothing past December. All sailings in 2013 say 'sold out' which I'm pretty sure just means 'not available yet'.

Another question though....if AFTER I'm paid in full and a discount comes out, can I cancel and rebook using the new discount? How much do the cancellation fees usually cost? I'm pretty sure it would be worth it because the codes for this November cut the fare about $1000.

1988-WDW (Off site)
11/2004-WDW (All-Star Sports)
4/2007-Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea
11/2011- WDW (Pop Century)
5/2012- Disneyland
4/2013- Disney Magic Cruise
12/2013- Disneyland
armywife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2001 View Post
Yeah, our TA told us when I asked about the military rate that if one came out before we paid in full, we could rebook with it and she really emphasized the fact that DH would have to be with us. Not that we would ever go without him! We made sure our insurance would cover us if his leave was revoked at the last minute (they can't put in leave until a month out)

I check the MTO code daily but still nothing past December. All sailings in 2013 say 'sold out' which I'm pretty sure just means 'not available yet'.

Another question though....if AFTER I'm paid in full and a discount comes out, can I cancel and rebook using the new discount? How much do the cancellation fees usually cost? I'm pretty sure it would be worth it because the codes for this November cut the fare about $1000.
Check DCL's cancellation policy on their website. The amount you would forfeit would depend on how far out you would be cancelling. The least amount you would lose would be the 20% deposit.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
ADandBsmommy
Earning My Ears

I have heard of multiple occasions where spouses have attempted to travel with their ids and at port have had to pay the difference which would totally stink... I personally think it is a bad rule and it should be the same across the board one way or the other for all their military discounts (wdw, cruise,etc...) but I would sure hate to get to the port and have to spend more money to cruise after thinking one thing.
ADandBsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
calygirl724
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2001 View Post

We had this happen to us on our Alaska cruise in May. After we were paid in full, they released the military rate and we were told that in order to get the discount we had to cancel (forfeiting the 20% cancellation fee) and rebook. That also meant losing our dining spot (which first dining was already full), palo reservations, and all booked port excursions. Since we had booked an inside room, and the MTO rate was only available on verandah rooms and higher, we decided to forgo the military rate and stick with our original booking, but we were not at all happy with DCL's policy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: