Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Susan, for the safety tips.

Thanks, Susan, for reminding me not to be too complacent while on vacation. My husband started scanning in our credit cards, driver licenses, etc. and putting them on Goggle Docs so that we can access them anywhere, no matter what was stolen.

This came in really handy when my FIL was pick-pocketed last year and we had to cancel all his cards. However, unbeknownst to my MIL who scanned everything, he put several other credit cards back into his wallet. We had a hard time reconstructing what was missing and some companies would not allow us to make the fraud report for my FIL.

And, please, do not put Social Security numbers in your wallet. My FIL had a little slip of paper in his wallet with all his adult children's SS# and his siblings SS#. Every single one had to place a fraud alert on their credit. Of course, his SS# wasn't on that slip of paper.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

I agree. I never would have given a second thought about those pizza flyers, but now I will!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
darrengs
DIS Veteran

Had a pizza flyer under our door two weeks ago at POFQ.

On a happier note, two weeks ago my son left a bag of items he had just purchased in Epcot on the Monorail when we got off at MK. We went back up the exit ramp and talked to a CM, before we even had our whole story out another CM was on the phone. He told us to wait a few minutes for a call back. The phone rang and CM told us they had the bag and it will be coming in on the second Monorail with the pilot. While we waited a CM came up to my son and assured him that everything was most likely there, that he has seen things returned fully intact from iPhones to wallets full of cash and credit cards. He said the people that travel to WDW are great people and that their honesty is amazing. Sure enough the monorail pulled in, the pilot had his bag and everything was intact. Of course this prompted us to go to Guest Services and report these CMs for their help. My son would have loved to thank the person who turned the bag in, who knows maybe it was a Diser.

darrengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I liked the segment too- good reminders that would apply to any vacation!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
SA mom
DIS Veteran

And, yuck, pizza made in a garage?!?
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Really enjoyed all the segments this week....but then, I always do.

Susan's segment really pointed out some things I hadn't thought of. Of course, the gross Pizza thing, it never entered my mind that they might not be legitimate companies trying to drum up business with flyers but individuals cooking pizza in their garages. Also not to put your packages into your trunk while in the parking lot, I always thought of that as the safe thing to do.

I've never thought of WDW as a safe bubble, too many people to think there aren't some rotten apples but I just hadn't thought of some of things she pointed out during her segment.

It did remind me of the time a few years ago when a man put his son into a neighboring balcony so that he (the son) could enter the room and let his dad in to take things. Unbelievable! Always lock your balcony door!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
belle41379
Disney is my happy place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom View Post
And, yuck, pizza made in a garage?!?
I thought the same thing!

I too enjoyed the segment. Nice reminders.

belle41379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Ditto! I have traveled to WDW a few times as a solo woman (well, I'm always a woman but not always solo ) and a tip I learned on these boards is...

If you are staying at a value with an outside door (Motel-like), always choose a higher floor. Theives are more likely to choose to steal from a lower floor because the getaway is easier.
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
fall08CP
Cheesehead

I used to be a Disney concierge CM, and sadly all of the above is true. I remember many nights chasing these bandits down with security, trying to send them down a dead end. Unfortunately Disney security can't do much without getting help from orange/Osceola police. I remember watching two men fight in our lobby one night around 2am and literally attempt to beat each other to death. Disney security didn't have the authority to lay hands on either of them so we watched in horror for 15 minutes before the cops arrived.

Back on topic.. The thrives typically purchase frozen pizzas and throw them in a crap oven and deliver them as such. Guest pays $15 for a $5 jack's pizza. That's why it's often reported that special orders aren't fulfilled- they can only give you what they can buy at Walmart right then and there. Then they'll charge an $8 fee and continually put charges on your CC until you notice. Sometimes the pizza never shows.

They usually come in on Disney busses (and park at DTD) then plaster the whole hotel. We always told guests to NEVER trust a pizza company that delivers to your room. That is (or was) against Disney policy. Guests ALWAYS had to meet them in the lobby. And, of course, we only recommended Giordanos, Flippers, or national chains
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
I used to be a Disney concierge CM, and sadly all of the above is true. I remember many nights chasing these bandits down with security, trying to send them down a dead end. Unfortunately Disney security can't do much without getting help from orange/Osceola police. I remember watching two men fight in our lobby one night around 2am and literally attempt to beat each other to death. Disney security didn't have the authority to lay hands on either of them so we watched in horror for 15 minutes before the cops arrived.

Back on topic.. The thrives typically purchase frozen pizzas and throw them in a crap oven and deliver them as such. Guest pays $15 for a $5 jack's pizza. That's why it's often reported that special orders aren't fulfilled- they can only give you what they can buy at Walmart right then and there. Then they'll charge an $8 fee and continually put charges on your CC until you notice. Sometimes the pizza never shows.

They usually come in on Disney busses (and park at DTD) then plaster the whole hotel. We always told guests to NEVER trust a pizza company that delivers to your room. That is (or was) against Disney policy. Guests ALWAYS had to meet them in the lobby. And, of course, we only recommended Giordanos, Flippers, or national chains

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
revrac
Earning My Ears

Hey all,

Glad you liked the segment. I had a lot of fun doing it and hanging with the podcast crew. Disney is a super safe place to be and overall the crime is extremely low. However, those little things that you can do (like not leaving your packages in sight and no unsolicited pizza orders) will make your vacation go smoothly and less likely to be a victim!

Susan
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'll add my thanks as well. I've traveled all over the country and been in some locations that you need to be extra careful (ie parts of NOLA) so my "street smarts" are fairly high. That said, I'm still lulled by a false sense of security when I'm at WDW. OK, so WDW is a bit more secure that some other situations. Still the reminder to use common sense is well worth the mention.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Tinkershelly
DisneyWorld trip winner!
Holy moley, there are soooo many items!

We just returned from a fabulous stay at POR. One night we returned to our room quite late and found a pizza flyer under our door. Since we had heard the podcast last month we knew exactly what this was. We had the dining plan and so weren't tempted to order in but it looked just like a flyer we would get at home from reputable businesses so I can see how people can get sucked in.

Thanks for the tips, Susan!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

I thought I knew it all, but I sure didn't!

This was an absolutely first-rate podcast segment. Thanks, Susan.

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: