Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

Review my budget

Every week I have been adding money to my shipboard account and am currently at $800 which I think is enough. Is there anything I am missing? A few pieces on information, we do not buy the photos, not drinkers (last time in WDW we each had 1 drink each) and do not really buy souvenirs. Also, we have already paid our tips in advance and plan on taking a bunch of 1's and 5's for room service and porter tips.

$250- 3 sessions of bingo
$100- drinks
$60- Palo brunch
$80- 2 tastings
$100- $50 for each of my 2 children for souvenirs
$50- Misc costs
$25- pin and magnet souvenir for me
$12- float rentals at CC

We have 2 ports, Cozumel and CC. In Cozumel we are going to Mr. Sanchos and paying out of pocket. Does this seem sufficient?

TIA
tfiga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
raceboymom
Earning My Ears

Sounds like you've got it covered, but you never know when you are going to see something that you want to do or buy that you weren't expecting. I'd add a few hundred just for unexpected items.
raceboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

How are you planning to get to the port?
I'm guessing you are on a 7 night cruise based on your stops...and that you are a family of 4 or 5 (not sure with the Palo brunch amount at $60 (3 people) and the comment about $50 to each kid......

Spa? Smoothies for kids? arcade? simulators? fitness classes?
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

If the $60 for Palo does not include a tip a little more for that.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Anonny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
If the $60 for Palo does not include a tip a little more for that.
Perhaps $60 for Palo is two adults. $20 for brunch and $10 tip each. Isn't that appopriate?
Anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
Anonny
Mouseketeer

If you don't drink, I think you are over-budgeting with $100 for drinks.
Most non-alcoholic drinks are included in the cost of your cruise.
Anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

The $60 for Palo is 2 adults for brunch with tips, the drinks include a couple of smoothies for my oldest son 13, as my youngest 11 does not like them. We are on a 5 day cruise. We are flying into MIA and are planning on paying the $30 cab ride in cash. I do have just over $100 pad in my total, currently the expenses budgeted for are just under $700. I think I should be ok, but just do not want to be short as I try to pay for my entire trip before I leave, it makes the trip that much more enjoyable.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Your budget looks pretty good. I don't think anyone was trying to be critical but rather to try to figure out how you had allocated some things.

Every family is different. My bingo would be zero, but I might enjoy some spa time. On the other hand, one of your family might like the golf simulator or whatever. We each make different choices.

It looks like you have all of yours covered.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Speaking from very recent experience (Friday morning at 1 a.m.), you may want to factor in an unexpected medical emergency. After hours visits to the Fantasy Medical Center is a minimum $221 fee. One hour into watching Frankenweenie, DD yawned and dislocated her jaw. She couldn't relax her muscles for it to reposition and we were at the Medical Center at 1:10 and the Dr. was on his way. Three repositioning attempts later she was back to normal. Prior to this emergency, we were running at just $200 on our account - $90 in drinks for DD and two meals at Palo with tips and one Mixology class - our souvenirs were on her credit card and my card was on file for our account. When we disembarked, our final account total was $800! So, with two children, you may want to pad your total a little more just to be safe - not necessarily hundreds of dollars but maybe enough to cover a basic emergency visit just in case.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

I just re-read and say you took care if gratuities in advance. Unless you decide to do spa or fitness class, you look good.

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic
December 2014 - New Year's Eve - Bahamas - Disney Wonder

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTerp View Post
I just re-read and say you took care if gratuities in advance. Unless you decide to do spa or fitness class, you look good.
OP said they've paid thier tips in advance.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will add $100 more and pray for the best. Also I did not feel anyone was being critical....I absolutely love this board, so much great information and wonderful people. I am sorry if my post came off that I felt I was being criticized. I was just trying to clarify my original post because once I hit the submit button, I remember all the other information I should have included.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
Speaking from very recent experience (Friday morning at 1 a.m.), you may want to factor in an unexpected medical emergency. After hours visits to the Fantasy Medical Center is a minimum $221 fee. One hour into watching Frankenweenie, DD yawned and dislocated her jaw. She couldn't relax her muscles for it to reposition and we were at the Medical Center at 1:10 and the Dr. was on his way. Three repositioning attempts later she was back to normal. Prior to this emergency, we were running at just $200 on our account - $90 in drinks for DD and two meals at Palo with tips and one Mixology class - our souvenirs were on her credit card and my card was on file for our account. When we disembarked, our final account total was $800! So, with two children, you may want to pad your total a little more just to be safe - not necessarily hundreds of dollars but maybe enough to cover a basic emergency visit just in case.
Available credit on a credit card is also something to consider, especially if flying. I always tell folks to have an amount equal to the cost of the full fare, one way flight home for everyone in your party available on a credit card in case of a flight issue. Even if you get travel insurance, you would have to pay that fare and have to file a claim when you get home. You could do that with travelers checks or cash, but I wouldn't recommend traveling with that much cash. I'd also add enough for hotel rooms and airport price level meals for a few meals in my reserve.

I don't mean this in a snarky way, but, I am amazed at how little financial breathing room some cruisers have.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

Thanks, we do plan on taking a credit card for extreme emergencies, but after spending so many years paying them off, I do not want to use one if I do not have to. I am just trying to get make sure that my onboard account has a zero balance when I disembark.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Available credit on a credit card is also something to consider, especially if flying. I always tell folks to have an amount equal to the cost of the full fare, one way flight home for everyone in your party available on a credit card in case of a flight issue. Even if you get travel insurance, you would have to pay that fare and have to file a claim when you get home. You could do that with travelers checks or cash, but I wouldn't recommend traveling with that much cash. I'd also add enough for hotel rooms and airport price level meals for a few meals in my reserve.

I don't mean this in a snarky way, but, I am amazed at how little financial breathing room some cruisers have.
We always have an empty CC each when we travel. Well, we always have it in general but make sure we carry it when we travel. We don't really consider that part of the budget. We may set a spending limit with little room, but we have at least the credit to get us home or where we need to go in an emergency. When looking at my upcoming trip I've accounted for Palo, excursions, the spa, but not an emergency. That is what the Master Card in the back of my wallet and the Visa in the back of my husband's is for. Oh, and passports of course!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: