Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Marcya23
Earning My Ears

Random CL question

We will be staying at BC CL- checking in this Saturday .

I thought I read somewhere around here that although the CL Concierge cannot accept monetary tips, it is common for guests to bring them some type of gift from home. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience/tips?

Thanks! I just want to come prepared...
Marcya23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcya23 View Post

I thought I read somewhere around here that although the CL Concierge cannot accept monetary tips, it is common for guests to bring them some type of gift from home. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience/tips?

Just verbally thank them and provide a note to their supervisor if they do something outstanding for you.

It's kind of like being the teacher at holiday time when she/he gets all kinds of hand lotions, key chains, etc. They tell the kid thanks and give them away if they don't want to use them.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Marcya23
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much- good to know! (I am a SAHM now, but used to teach.... So I totally get it!!).
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
mouseketeermama
Mouseketeer

When I stayed CL at the Poly, I gave the CL staff a gift basket with kukui nut oil lotions, lip balm, oil and soaps. I work for an organic body care company that makes the stuff and since the kukui tree is native to the Polynesian islands, I thought it was a good gift. The staff seemed to love it.

Just a married to my raising our littleand tiny
mouseketeermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

CL staff has always accepted my tips
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Marcya23
Earning My Ears

I thought I read somewhere that they were NOT allowed to accept money what-so-ever.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeermama View Post
When I stayed CL at the Poly, I gave the CL staff a gift basket with kukui nut oil lotions, lip balm, oil and soaps. I work for an organic body care company that makes the stuff and since the kukui tree is native to the Polynesian islands, I thought it was a good gift. The staff seemed to love it.
They may have just been polite....

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
nanhol
Mouseketeer

A CM posted this to another thread about tips (the BC/YC thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....s#post46353767 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
Only valet, bellmen and housekeepers are allowed "tips" and if anybody else gets caught taking them, they can get fired. As far as "gifts", they can be given any time. Depending on who they are for, it might be best to give them at the beginning of the trip when you first see them since they could have off a few days or be going on vacation and you might not see them again.
Somewhere else (sorry I can't find it--I'll post it later if I can) I read that other CM are supposed to turn down tips when you offer them, but if you insist that they accept then they must turn tips in to their supervisor, who puts tips in a shared pot.

Teena from the BC is a reliable source--not sure about the other one I've cited!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Just verbally thank them and provide a note to their supervisor if they do something outstanding for you.

It's kind of like being the teacher at holiday time when she/he gets all kinds of hand lotions, key chains, etc. They tell the kid thanks and give them away if they don't want to use them.
WDW has a policy that Club Level Cast Members cannot accept gifts with a value greater than $75. If it is more than $75 it needs to be reported to their manager.
If WDW has such a policy than it is normal and acceptable for guests to give CL Cast Members gifts if they want to.
If you never stay Club Level or if you have and chose not to give anything to the staff that is your choice, but you shouldn't discourage other guests from giving gifts if they want to.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcya23 View Post

We have a friend that works as a CM at CL. They are not allowed to accept money or gifts.

The best way to show you're appreciation is make NO mess when eating. Do not let youre children act like snowflakes and let them taste the food and put back the spoons or half eaten muffins at the buffet. Just send a mail to guests relations and let them know what CM made youre day.
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

The only ones you can tip in CL is your mousekeeper or if you order room service, etc. but not CL staff.

I agree with watching your kids at the food station. While we were at AKL, some kids were there unsupervised, putting their hands all over the food, not using serving utensils etc. it's not up to the CL staff to supervise, and on occasion I had to ask the kids not to use their hands, or put food back they already grabbed. Most of the parents were pretty good about not allowing their kids to go alone to the food table, but some, not so much.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser View Post
We have a friend that works as a CM at CL. They are not allowed to accept money or gifts.
This is not true. I have been staying Club Level for the last 10 years and I can tell you with 100% certainty that CL Cast Members are allowed to receive gifts, as long as the value is no more than $75. If this was not true a lot of cast members that I know would have been fired a long time ago, as I have seen them accept gifts in front of other Cast Members and guests, and not in some secret, back handed manner. Agreed though that they cannot accept tips (cash).
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

I have tipped CL CMs (cash amounts less than $75) and the have accepted them on the first "try". No one ever tried to refuse/I had to insist or anything. And since I had the money folded kind of small they wouldn't have known how much it was until after they had already accepted it...

I won't name names...but they weren't housekeepers or room service...
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

We've stayed Club Level many times and have always tipped cash. Everyone should feel free to do what they want to do. The CMS have never refused.

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
They may have just been polite....
Ouch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: