Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #31
drinkme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post
The referbs at both Disneyland and WDW world were done about the same time. SM Disneyland is incredible. It's basically the same tract, but very smooth like Rock’n Roller Coaster. It has music playing within each car like RR as well. The Disneyland version is night and day different and better than the WDW version. They took SM down at WDW for 6-9 months and what’d we get? A very disappointing outcome.
Yes, the DL version is incredible. The WDW is blahhh. They should just shut down the ride for more than a year and make it rideable. I agree that it's too bumpy to even enjoy.
drinkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #32
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Yes, it is very rough now!!! I won't ride it anymore. It gives me a terrible headache.
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Yup, I agree with most everyone else. It is much too rough to enjoy the ride.

I'm only 5'5 and I felt like I was going to fall out.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #34
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
Yes, the DL version is incredible. The WDW is blahhh. They should just shut down the ride for more than a year and make it rideable. I agree that it's too bumpy to even enjoy.
Totally agree. After riding Space at DL, I refuse to go on the WDW version anymore. It's so uncomfortable.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #35
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallworldnh
This used to be a huge favorite of ours and we've ridden it many times, but not since 2008 - before the refurb. This time was awful! It was rough and jarring and even knocked the breath out of me once when my chest hit the bar. Has anyone else found this to be the case? I don't remember it ever being this rough!!
I actually have a story from this ride last November. Before I say it...I will tell you I have ridden this ride many time w no problems.

I rode w my daughters and was placed in the last car last seat. Maybe this is why it happened I don't know. But during the ride I felt like I was jarred to death and also felt like I was going to fly out of my seat. My dd in front of me thought I was laughing. I was not. I was screaming. After the ride which I didn't think I would survive they could all see how distressed I was. I kept telling them I was coming out of my seat. I got the replies of laws of gravity, etc. when we saw the pictures it told another story. It was very clear exactly how high I was and did indeed look like I was coming out.

For the next two days I couldn't even "pee" without having significant pain. Yes I should of told someone. No I didn't. I was fine after a couple of days but idk if I will ever go back on it again. It was embarrassing. Here I am a grown woman crying on a bench by the bathroom and some little kid was yelling and telling everyone what a great time he had. I see the humor now but didn't then. Oh we'll live and learn. If I do get back on it will be near the front!!

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ x 2
2015 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Parr View Post
My family has been convinced since 2005 that there is a smooth side and a rough side. For the life of me, I can't remember which one is which! But we have felt that way every trip from 2005-2010. It will be interesting to try it out again this year.

VP
Hmmm, I wonder if there is any truth to this! We were directed into the queue to the left as we entered the ride area. This is the first time we rode on that side, usually we were directed to the one on the right side. Interesting!
smallworldnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #37
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallworldnh View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if there is any truth to this! We were directed into the queue to the left as we entered the ride area. This is the first time we rode on that side, usually we were directed to the one on the right side. Interesting!
YUP! I just asked dh and he said, yes, the right side was the smooth one and the left side is the rough. I remember now, too, and so does dd. When dh and I first rode, he loved it. The second time he rode it he rode on the left and hated it. Our last trip, if we were sent to the left we simply asked to go to the right and they always accommodated us. I plan to test out the theory again when we return in a few weeks.

VP
12/05Pop Centuryy, VWL, Swan 12/07Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness 12/10 Fort Wilderness 10/12 AKV Kidani 6/13 Caribbean Beach 7/13 Polynesian 8/13 POR Royal Room 9/13 AKV-Jambo, POR-AB 10/13 FW 12/13 VWL 10/14 DISNEYLAND PARIS! 12/14 Bay Lake Tower and WL 5/15 AKV and FW

Violet Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Parr View Post
YUP! I just asked dh and he said, yes, the right side was the smooth one and the left side is the rough. I remember now, too, and so does dd. When dh and I first rode, he loved it. The second time he rode it he rode on the left and hated it. Our last trip, if we were sent to the left we simply asked to go to the right and they always accommodated us. I plan to test out the theory again when we return in a few weeks.

VP
I'll keep that in mind and try it for ourselves. When I rode SM last fall after not riding since before the refurb I thought it was much more jerky than I remembered and I was somewhat naseous afterwards. I wasn't planning on going on again this year, but I'll think about trying it again and requesting the right. I go on rides to have fun, not to be made to feel pewky!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #39
disneyfanlincoln
Mouseketeer

I found SM much rougher than I remembered it. Unfortunately it was DDs first time and she did not enjoy it. I had to agree I experienced serious stomach pain due to the bar that was holding me in, needed pain killers the pain didn't go away until the next day. I'm not a pain wimp and I love coasters so this came as a surprise, I actually put it down to me gaining weight since last time I went but it appears lots of people have experienced the roughness too.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
DM4Life3
Donald Duck's Anger Management Coach (We're Working On It!)

IMO, rows 2 and 5 are smooth rides.

If you crave bumps, check out rows 1, 3, 4 or 6.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #41
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxePrincess View Post
Totally agree. After riding Space at DL, I refuse to go on the WDW version anymore. It's so uncomfortable.
My sentiments exactly. After riding SM at DL my whole family refuses to ride SM at WDW. We were there in August and no one wanted to ride SM. When someone brought up the idea, someone else would remind them we're at WDW and how bad it is.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
Could it either be that we are all just getting spoiled with the newer technology of smooth rides which makes this seem old and jerky??? OORRRR... are we maybe just getting OLD and rickety ourselves and it really isn't the ride that's changed at all, LOL
This exactly for me, the ride hasn't changed, I have!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #43
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Were you in the back? The back always seems rougher to me.
I refuse to ride in the back. Felt like I had whiplash when I got off. It was so bumpy and not fun at all but it is one of DS favorite rides and that is the only reason I ride it.

In regards to the newer technology of other rides, Space Mountain is the first ride I have gotten on in years so that wouldn't be the case for me.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #44
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

My very first experience with SM was in
DL and I loved it so much. On our first trip to DW I was shocked at the roughness of the ride. I have ridden it quite a few times there and have decided its just not worth the headaches and backaches any more. What a disappointment.
Vickilynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #45
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

Oh I meant to add we took another trip right after the refurbishing of SM and it didn't seem any smoother to us.
Vickilynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: