Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
mwerner2
Mouseketeer

It seems way rougher to me also. We've gone to WDW almost every year since 2000. Many times in the earlier years we would ride over and over. Now, once is enough for me. It's the hard up and down jerks that are the problem. It's a little better in the front, but not much.
--Wyndham Palace, May 16-18, 2003
--AKL/Liki Tiki, Aug 12-19, 2003--Cypress Pointe GrandeVillas, Jan 15-22, 2005
--Pop Century, June 8-18, 2005--Liki Tiki, Mar 10-16, 2007
--Cypress Pointe GrandeVillas, June 24-July 1, 2009
--Pop Century, June 22-29, 2010--Port Orleans, Aug 3-9, 2011
--Cypress Pointe GrandVillas, May 9-16, 2012--All Star Sports, Dec 23-28, 2012
--Orbit One, June 1-8, 2014 Rosen Centre Hotel June 9-13, 2014--
mwerner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

It's my favorite ride at MK and I've ridden it hundreds of times over the years,after the ride was refurbished there were many people on these boards saying the ride was smoother than before,I didn't find this to be the case but I definitely don't feel the ride has gotten rougher at all.My mom is 63 years old and also rides it all the time with no problems.
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

I found it to be very uncomfortable last time I rode it, which was after the rehab. Before, my stomach used to get all flipped out, but everything else was fine. This last time, my stomach was fine, but my back and neck took a beating.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Yes, it is painfully rough. They need to replace the tracks like they did at DL.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

wow- reading this makes me feel better about not being able to go on it my next trip! lol (Kids are too small)
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Mouseketeer

Glad you posted about this. I went probably 20 years ago, and while I don't like Rock and Roll Rollercoaster I love Everest. I HATED my ride on space mountain this past August. My pins came very close to flying off. I felt like I was in a combination salad spinner/meat grinder. I never want to go again.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
kneemeister
Mouseketeer

I think it is a possibility; that due to the refurb making it much darker, you are just thrown around more. I think maybe, we consciously or unconsciously, adjust our body position while ridding to prepare for twists and drops. With no visual reference we just get tossed about more.

My only problem with SM is how difficult it is to get out of the dang cars you sit so low and there is nothing to pull yourself up and out with. I am afraid every time I get off that I will be laying at the feet of the operators station or the track behind the train to be run over by the next.

I've lost track, two or three trips every year since 2001. With five or six trips to Disneyland thrown in for good measure, one trip even included 5 days at Disneyland, followed by three in Atlanta, then a day at the Magic Kingdom followed by a 24 hr layover at Disneyland. It was surreal doing both Magic Kingdoms in 48 hrs.
kneemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
Could it either be that we are all just getting spoiled with the newer technology of smooth rides which makes this seem old and jerky??? OORRRR... are we maybe just getting OLD and rickety ourselves and it really isn't the ride that's changed at all, LOL
Good answer

I've rode Space Mountain more times than I can count and I've had multiple experiences. Some have been awful and others have been great, I'm not really sure what makes the difference, mood maybe?
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #24
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemeister View Post
I think it is a possibility; that due to the refurb making it much darker, you are just thrown around more. I think maybe, we consciously or unconsciously, adjust our body position while ridding to prepare for twists and drops. With no visual reference we just get tossed about more.

My only problem with SM is how difficult it is to get out of the dang cars you sit so low and there is nothing to pull yourself up and out with. I am afraid every time I get off that I will be laying at the feet of the operators station or the track behind the train to be run over by the next.
I think that's a good point because ever since the refurb I've heard everything from it being smoother to rougher,people who ride it frequently say it's either smoother or the same with a lot of roughers coming from infrequent riders.In my opinion you have to realize this is a 1970's coaster you might see at a state fair,these rides are rickety by nature just like wood coasters.Look at Gwazi at Busch Gardens in Tampa that ride had gotten so rough it was almost unrideable,then they did a refurb and changed the trains and after riding it right before the refurb and right after it was like night and day,still rickety like a wood coaster should be but not painful.You can't expect Space Mountain to become as smooth as Everest,it's not feasable.I do believe the darkness probably has an effect on many riders experiences with it being a bit darker now.I honestly don't want any more changes to Space Mountain,I like it how it is,a little rickety and a little wild making you feel like you might fly off at any moment,this is also why I like wooden coasters.Everest is good but to me it feels too much like an adult version of a kiddie roller skater coaster.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Could it either be that we are all just getting spoiled with the newer technology of smooth rides which makes this seem old and jerky??? OORRRR... are we maybe just getting OLD and rickety ourselves and it really isn't the ride that's changed at all, LOL
LOL, I did think of that, but my 27 year old DD and her 25 year old friend said it was definitely rougher and not a fun ride!
smallworldnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Yep, at least in my case (and DH's), this is probably the unfortunate truth. We used to love this ride. Last time we rode SM I was painfully reminded of the arthritis in my neck. No more Space Mtn for me.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #27
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

I ride it for the first time this year . I love role coasters of all types . But recently having an issue fitting on them being 6'7". Anyway this year was firsttime to disney since I started riding roller coasters .

I probably shouldn't have went on cause the lap bar was just a little over my inner thigh . I honestly thought I might have fallen out of it , and stated clenching my legs and holding the handles realy tight . It was very rough ride . But most of the older rides are rough like the scream machine in 6 flags .

I am happy I road SM causr its such a classic but I dont think I will again just cause I didnt fit .

Thought the ride itself was amazing and lived up to the hype . I have never been on an indoor coaster I liked so I wasent optimistic . But I couldn't belive how fast and sharp the turns were . Its definetly up there with some of the best imo . My favorite coaster ever is dueling dragons in IoA

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemeister

My only problem with SM is how difficult it is to get out of the dang cars you sit so low and there is nothing to pull yourself up and out with.
I agree that not seeing where you're going may have an impact. My daughter and I rode three times in a row on the right side and it was so bumpy. Then we rode twice on the left side and I could see better and was able to anticipate the movements. Much less bumpy. It seemed lighter, but it could be that I had ridden it so many times in a row . PLUS, the front was much less jerky than the back. We love the front! I've been riding SM all my life and I kind of like it more since the refurb.

And I hear you on the low seats. I was always the last one out! I'm only in my mid-thirties but it made me feel ancient and rickety
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
hookedonears
Louisianan

The referbs at both Disneyland and WDW world were done about the same time. SM Disneyland is incredible. It's basically the same tract, but very smooth like Rock’n Roller Coaster. It has music playing within each car like RR as well. The Disneyland version is night and day different and better than the WDW version. They took SM down at WDW for 6-9 months and what’d we get? A very disappointing outcome.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #30
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

Which side??

My family has been convinced since 2005 that there is a smooth side and a rough side. For the life of me, I can't remember which one is which! But we have felt that way every trip from 2005-2010. It will be interesting to try it out again this year.

VP
December 2005 Pop Century, VWL, Swan, December 2007 Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness December 2010 Fort Wilderness, October 2012 AKV Kidani, June 2013 Caribbean Beach, July 2013 Polynesian August 2013 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas, POR-AB October 2013 MNSSHP/F&W Fort Wilderness December 2013 Villas at Wilderness Lodge October 2014 DISNEYLAND PARIS HALLOWEEN! Oh Mon Dieu!!!! Jan 2015 Just me and DH, Grand Floridian Villas April 2015 Aloha Aulani? May 2015 Flower and Garden Festival Grand Floridian Villas October 2015 Quick Halloween Weekend Polynesian

Violet Parr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: