Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

What did they do to Space Mountain

This used to be a huge favorite of ours and we've ridden it many times, but not since 2008 - before the refurb. This time was awful! It was rough and jarring and even knocked the breath out of me once when my chest hit the bar. Has anyone else found this to be the case? I don't remember it ever being this rough!!
smallworldnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

/shrug before and after seemed about the same to me. Granted I only rode it slightly before the refurb, then after so I dont know about any ways back then that..
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

IMO those tracks need a rehab as well. As the OP said it used to be a favorite ride of ours, but the tracks seem a heck of a lot rougher these past couple of years. I too get the wind knocked out of me and it never used to be like that. It's not a fun ride for me anymore, instead of screaming at the drops and dips now it's more of an "oooooof" or an "ugh" - but I still go on it because it's Space Mountain!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

Yeah, I've read a lot of complaints about it lately on these boards. It didn't seem bad in Aug 2011 but when I rode it this past May it was so jerky I hurt my hip and felt slightly nauseous afterward. It's time for some improvements.
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
MushLRC
Mouseketeer

Could it either be that we are all just getting spoiled with the newer technology of smooth rides which makes this seem old and jerky??? OORRRR... are we maybe just getting OLD and rickety ourselves and it really isn't the ride that's changed at all, LOL

MushLRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
Could it either be that we are all just getting spoiled with the newer technology of smooth rides which makes this seem old and jerky??? OORRRR... are we maybe just getting OLD and rickety ourselves and it really isn't the ride that's changed at all, LOL
I wasnt going to bring that up.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Were you in the back? The back always seems rougher to me.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
WendyWuWu
Mouseketeer

I thought it was just me the last few times I have ridden it, but apparently it wasn't just in my mind. I, too, used to love to ride SM, but the last few times, it's felt much rougher to me as well to the point I bowed out riding a couple of times with my family. Like I said, I thought it was just me and getting older and not enjoying thrill rides as much as I once did, but maybe it has gotten rougher afterall.

Me..Wendy DH..Larry DS..Adam DN...Allie

Offsite..1992; Offsite...1995; POR..2004; CBR...2008; POFQ...2009; WL/BLT...2010; YC...2011; YC...2012; SOG...2013; YC...2014
WendyWuWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
mbakun
Mouseketeer

Space Mountain - ugh!

It is definitely more jerky than in the past. I rode it this past April, solo. My 5 year old was too afraid, and my DH has a bad back, so he chose to sit it out. Good thing he did! When I got off, I felt nauseous and my back needed an adjustment from a chiropractic! I used to just LOVE SM. Now, I am going to avoid it. It needs a major overhaul. I am still trying to figure out what they did during the last one?

Michelle
mbakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
I hurt my hip so I considered that too. I hope not! I'm only thirtysomething. I'd hate to think I already have to be cautious of breaking a hip falling off a sidewalk or something.
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Yep....terribly jerky and painful. Very disappointed last time.

Probably won't ride again.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
princessmomma92
Earning My Ears

I've never ridden SM until 2010, but have gone to DW 5 times since then. SM is my favorite ride. A little jerky, but not too bad. I always sit in the back and never have a problem. I don't have any aches or pains afterwards.

Actually last month, I seemed to get jerked more going up hill on BTMRR. Halfway up the big hill there was a big jarring that gave me back pain, but it didn't last long.
princessmomma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Carriemel
Emma Clare's Mommy

I think I left a kidney somewhere around the third drop of SM a few weeks ago. If anyone finds it, please let me know.

Yeah, it's a lot rougher in my opinion. I won't be riding again until my little one is big enough to go on it, and maybe not even then.

Hakuna Matata!
Carriemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

We had the same conversation this last trip. We go every year and ride a couple of times. I have noticed the last couple of times it seemd very rough, but just thought it was me. My parents went with us this year, and my dad noticed too. I think ( I am sure someone will correct me if not), that they either got new cars or refurbed them, so that might be it. I doubt it is the actual track. Or maybe we are just getting old It was my DD's first "roller coaster" at 5 YO, and I had no problem letting her try it, she loved it. Now she is 15, and our youngest is 5- and there is NO way I will take her on it this time.
2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

yes rougher. we were in DL this summer & that's one thing I noticed. when we got off the ride we all agreed SP was rougher.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: