Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #31
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandgirl View Post
One thing we always loved about Poly (or Contemp) is that you don't have to go back to the park at night for fireworks with tired little ones. You can sit on beach, away from crowds, and watch the fireworks there. They pipe in the music so it's perfect. Also, you can see the electric water parade from the Poly, GF, or Contemp beaches too. The best part is, when it is all over, you can just take a quick walk back to your room to put kids to sleep, rather than fighting crowds to getg back to hotel. Definitely worth the money, it will make your first trip magical!!
Too add to this, even if you decide to go back to the park with little ones, you still have an advantage over people using the resort buses in that you don't have to fold up the stroller to use the transportation (Monorail or ferry). So even if you're stuck waiting in a line to get back to the resort, the kids at least have the opportunity to fall asleep without being re-woken.

This is one of the reasons we ultimately decided to stay at the Poly for part of our upcoming trip. We have MVMCP tickets and will probably leave after the fireworks. If the lines for the Monorail and ferry are bad, I'm hoping the kids will fall asleep in the stroller.

We also plan on watching the fireworks from either the Poly beach or TTC on a different night (excited to see them from different vantage points).
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #32
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
Where would you stay w 2 little ones? I'm most concerned about convenience/ comfort NOT theme- we will have plenty of Disney theme.
It totally depends on budget (not trying to urge you to spend more).. but if it were me and I had two kids in a double stroller.. if I could afford it, I would go deluxe and stay on the monorail.

We've done two moderates-- POR with no car and CBR with a rental car. Our last trip we had a single stroller (3 year old) and stayed at GF. The convenience of the monorail made spending the extra money way worth it in our opinion. (we did not pay rack rates-- we had a 40% off pincode at GF)..

I've read that once you've stayed in a deluxe, it's hard to turn back. I think this is totally true! Another added bonus to the monorail resorts is the amount of character meals -- 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's, Ohana plus the other great restaurants-- are all a monorail ride away. Trying to get to a resort Character meal from another resort can take a long time on a bus if you have to transfer etc.

I don't have personal opinons of AoA or CSR because I've never stayed. I've only visited CR and Poly. GF was beautiful and another great resort. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat if we got a good rate. For us, we are trying the Poly for the first time because of the monorail and I've heard great things. I know some people say the rooms are a bit "brady bunch does hawaii" but I think that could be fun. I also love Ohana and have always wanted to try Kona.. so we're in!

I think you'd love any of the three monorail resorts! My personal opinion would be to set your budget (what's your max) and then call first thing in the morning and try and get yourself the 35% off room only discount. If the deluxe falls in your comfortable range-- I would do it!

ps- have you made your ADRs?

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Lisann
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at both the Poly and the Contemporary.

I'll have to say...I was pleasantly surprised when we stayed at the Contemporary, garden wing. I thought I would hate it, but the opposite was true.

The rooms were great...we could just walk right out to the pool...and we were away from the chaos of the tower/main building. And the best part...Magic Kingdom was at our front door! The convenience is unbeatable.

I love the Polynesian, but I think that the Contemporary - garden wing - might be your best bet. But you won't go wrong with either resort, truly.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #34
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisann

I'll have to say...I was pleasantly surprised when we stayed at the Contemporary, garden wing. I thought I would hate it, but the opposite was true.

The rooms were great...we could just walk right out to the pool...and we were away from the chaos of the tower/main building. And the best part...Magic Kingdom was at our front door! The convenience is unbeatable.

I love the Polynesian, but I think that the Contemporary - garden wing - might be your best bet. But you won't go wrong with either resort, truly.
Is it worth a difference of $1500 from the Coronado springs resort?
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisann View Post

double check.. but the garden view rooms are filled according to the website for your dates. I agree with her though.. that was my first choice too.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #36
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferma

double check.. but the garden view rooms are filled according to the website for your dates. I agree with her though.. that was my first choice too.
Jan 22-29th?
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #37
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
Jan 22-29th?
yes, as of two days ago. You definitely should ask though when the new promo dates are open (which I think is tomorrow first thing). You never know, but those CR GV rooms are the first to book. They are much cheaper than Poly or GF standard rooms.

It's definitely worth a shot, can't hurt to ask though...

I feel for you-- Disney is not making planning easy for you when the shut down the site the day before the new promo. I like to run the numbers before booking-- good luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: