Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #91
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer
 
MouseFan Down Under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 198

Count me in!

I will be in the USA from 24 November until 22 December

WDW - 8 December - 17 December
DLR - 17 December - 22 December

WOO HOO!!!
__________________
MouseFan Down Under
(aka Sandra)
'a pair of shoes can change your life - just ask Cinderella'

WDW:
July 1995 Offsite / July 1997 All Star Music / September 2008 Pop / Sept/Oct 2009 Pop / September 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter / returning December 2013 Pop
Disneyland:
1985, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013
MouseFan Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #92
Franrose
DIS Veteran
 
Franrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kiwi Queenslander
Posts: 531

__________________
DL, WDW... 80s, 90s, 2004, 2011, 2013, ...?

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #93
Franrose
DIS Veteran
 
Franrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kiwi Queenslander
Posts: 531

Oooh you're my WDW buddy MF DU, we'll be there 2 -14th. And we just miss you at DL, you leave on the 22nd and we arrive that day!
__________________
DL, WDW... 80s, 90s, 2004, 2011, 2013, ...?

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #94
darrenf67
Mouseketeer
 
darrenf67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
Posts: 375

Hi all

We have a big USA trip planned for nov -Dec. my DD 11 and I fly to Orlando 25 nov and board the Fantasy on 30/11, my DW DD 20 and grandchild arrive 07 dec for 2 weeks in Fl, then 2 weeks in NYC for christmas and new year, a week in Colorado skiing a week in LA at DLR and then home. We are all, saving like crazy and very excited. Looking forward to reading about other plans and tips for this time.
__________________
Darren (Instagram - darrenf67)

First Trip Report - WDW
Dec 2013


darrenf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #95
Luisa
Mouseketeer
 
Luisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 386

I've got my travel agent looking at booking my flights as I type! Virgin/Delta have some great fares in November so I've finally worked out my dates. I'm flying Mel-SFC-LA-Mel 16th to 24th Nov and spending the 21st to 24th at Disneyland! I'd love to have longer but my dads health worsening (I'm his carer) and I don't feel comfortable leaving him on his own for longer-even the 10 days is worrying me but he's insisting I go- probably just so he gets a few boxes of Sees when I get back!
I'm thinking of doing a day trip to Yosemite while I'm in SFC, has anyone done one they can recommend?
__________________
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - both coasts!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #96
SIMTRAC
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franrose

It stops in at Auckland. But I'm from NZ originally so it's kind of like a quick visit home (even if only the airport lol), and I've booked skycouch, and I'm looking at it as a nice break in a long flight for kids (the actual flying time is only an hour more than direct), and it's a night flight which works well for the kids too so I'm looking at it as a win/win situation. The flights were cheaper than direct too. It's possible that between now and then there'll be sales, but I don't imagine what I could save is worth more than the peace of mind of knowing we're booked at a price I'm happy with now kwim. Better than me somehow stuffing up and being forced to pay $9,000 closer to the end of the year lol!
Omg I hear you on the cost, it is cheaper by thousands for 4 of us to fly to la and stay a night with air nz than fly direct with qantas or virgin......also the direct flight early the next morning to Orlando is non stop and half the price than later in the day!!! I think I am going to not just think outside the square...I'm moving outside the square!!!!
SIMTRAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #97
aussie shaz
DIS Veteran
 
aussie shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMTRAC View Post
Omg I hear you on the cost, it is cheaper by thousands for 4 of us to fly to la and stay a night with air nz than fly direct with qantas or virgin......also the direct flight early the next morning to Orlando is non stop and half the price than later in the day!!! I think I am going to not just think outside the square...I'm moving outside the square!!!!
This is interesting. Will keep that in mind when looking at flights for next year.
__________________
[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url
aussie shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #98
Marlea98
DIS Veteran
 
Marlea98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,073

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenf67 View Post
Hi all

We have a big USA trip planned for nov -Dec. my DD 11 and I fly to Orlando 25 nov and board the Fantasy on 30/11, my DW DD 20 and grandchild arrive 07 dec for 2 weeks in Fl, then 2 weeks in NYC for christmas and new year, a week in Colorado skiing a week in LA at DLR and then home. We are all, saving like crazy and very excited. Looking forward to reading about other plans and tips for this time.
Wave to me as you get off the Fantasy, I'll be waiting to get on
__________________
Marlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #99
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer
 
MouseFan Down Under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franrose
Oooh you're my WDW buddy MF DU, we'll be there 2 -14th. And we just miss you at DL, you leave on the 22nd and we arrive that day!
Where are you staying at WDW Franrose?
__________________
MouseFan Down Under
(aka Sandra)
'a pair of shoes can change your life - just ask Cinderella'

WDW:
July 1995 Offsite / July 1997 All Star Music / September 2008 Pop / Sept/Oct 2009 Pop / September 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter / returning December 2013 Pop
Disneyland:
1985, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013
MouseFan Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #100
Franrose
DIS Veteran
 
Franrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kiwi Queenslander
Posts: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFan Down Under View Post
Where are you staying at WDW Franrose?
At this stage, I've booked Port Orleans French Quarter, as that's where we stayed Sept 2011.

We are open to change this time depending on the kinds of deals that might pop up between now and then - for eg if free dining came up and the prices were right, I'd be happy to move (maybe to Port Orleans Riverside?). All hypothetical right now of course!
__________________
DL, WDW... 80s, 90s, 2004, 2011, 2013, ...?

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #101
DizOz
DIS Veteran
 
DizOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 673

Just in the process of booking our tickets. Wow what a saga it is turning out to be.

It has been complicated by the fact I have a credit I need to use with Qantas from a cancelled business trip in 2010. One condition on the credit is I have to spend as much or more on the new tickets. So I have been able to book my tickets initially I was going to have to fly premium economy to get the price high enough to cover the credit. Apparently you can not leave any credit unused, which sounds a bit strange to me.

Anyway I was a little uncomfortable flying in premium economy whilst DW and 2 DD's flew in economy but I thought no problem I will use my points to upgrade them. DW said she had no problem if they flew economy without me but it didn't sit well with me.

So I managed Qantas flights for Melb to LA, LA to Orlando(AA Code share), Orlando to NY (AA Flight), NY to LA (Actual Qantas Flight) and LA to Melb. I was happy having been on the NY to LA Qantas flight before it is much better than a domestic US airline flight as you fly in a fully fitted out 747.

I then went to book DW tickets was told the prices I had I couldn't upgrade them. So I thought I might as well use my points to pay for some of their flights. I checked various options such as points and pay versus points only and the points only saved me over $2K more than points and pay for the same amount of points.

I booked the tickets for LA-Melb return using points, unbelievably the fees and charges still amounts to more than $2K (I had already taken that into account when comparing but still seems excessive and devalues what the points are worth).

I had the internal flights booked through TA on the same flights as I am on. He then advised he couldn't book the NY-LA flight so I had to speak to Qantas. I rang Qantas and was advised I could include NY-LA leg for DW and 2 DD's by using points (I am a little short right now) or change the Melb-LA to paid tickets. I could not use points for Melb-LA and pay for the NY-LA ticket.

I asked the ticket agent so you are telling me Qantas will not allow me to buy a ticket with cash but I can do so with points. "Yes" was his reply.

Now I am hunting around family members to borrow some points so I can secure the tickets. My alternative is to change my flight and book on an internal AA flight instead.

Anyway for all the hiccups the flights so far have cost me approx $3K for the 4 of us. So a little pain in the short term hopefully will result in longer term joy.
__________________
DLR 2003, WL 2004, AKL 2004, DLHK 2006, GCH 2007, WL 2007, GCH 2010, WL 2010, DCL 2010, Portofino 2010 GCH, YC and WL 2013 (Coming Soon)


DizOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #102
Marlea98
DIS Veteran
 
Marlea98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,073

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizOz View Post
Just in the process of booking our tickets. Wow what a saga it is turning out to be.

It has been complicated by the fact I have a credit I need to use with Qantas from a cancelled business trip in 2010. One condition on the credit is I have to spend as much or more on the new tickets. So I have been able to book my tickets initially I was going to have to fly premium economy to get the price high enough to cover the credit. Apparently you can not leave any credit unused, which sounds a bit strange to me.

Anyway I was a little uncomfortable flying in premium economy whilst DW and 2 DD's flew in economy but I thought no problem I will use my points to upgrade them. DW said she had no problem if they flew economy without me but it didn't sit well with me.

So I managed Qantas flights for Melb to LA, LA to Orlando(AA Code share), Orlando to NY (AA Flight), NY to LA (Actual Qantas Flight) and LA to Melb. I was happy having been on the NY to LA Qantas flight before it is much better than a domestic US airline flight as you fly in a fully fitted out 747.

I then went to book DW tickets was told the prices I had I couldn't upgrade them. So I thought I might as well use my points to pay for some of their flights. I checked various options such as points and pay versus points only and the points only saved me over $2K more than points and pay for the same amount of points.

I booked the tickets for LA-Melb return using points, unbelievably the fees and charges still amounts to more than $2K (I had already taken that into account when comparing but still seems excessive and devalues what the points are worth).

I had the internal flights booked through TA on the same flights as I am on. He then advised he couldn't book the NY-LA flight so I had to speak to Qantas. I rang Qantas and was advised I could include NY-LA leg for DW and 2 DD's by using points (I am a little short right now) or change the Melb-LA to paid tickets. I could not use points for Melb-LA and pay for the NY-LA ticket.

I asked the ticket agent so you are telling me Qantas will not allow me to buy a ticket with cash but I can do so with points. "Yes" was his reply.

Now I am hunting around family members to borrow some points so I can secure the tickets. My alternative is to change my flight and book on an internal AA flight instead.

Anyway for all the hiccups the flights so far have cost me approx $3K for the 4 of us. So a little pain in the short term hopefully will result in longer term joy.
What a saga! They sure do make things hard for their FF members, don't they?
__________________
Marlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #103
DizOz
DIS Veteran
 
DizOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 673

They sure do Marlea.

I spoke to Qantas again yesterday and I now don't even have the option of using points as there are no seats on the flight and very unlikely to be according to the service representative due to the time of the year.

He did offer to cancel my points booking for the return flight and I could pay for a one way flight all the way NY-LA-Melb @ $1700 per person. Thanks but no thanks.

So I resigned myself to cancelling my Qantas NY-LA flight and all of us flying AA instead. I was then told my NY-LA flight was part of the whole ticket and can cannot be cancelled. If I did I had to pay a cancellation and re-booking fees. All I could do at this stage was to .

So I spoke to DW last night to explain our options that she and the girls fly NY-LA without me and we meet there an hour or so later or I try to rebook everything and pay more fees. DW agreed to fly back to LA with the girls. So I think we are all done now except for booking accommodation in NY.
__________________
DLR 2003, WL 2004, AKL 2004, DLHK 2006, GCH 2007, WL 2007, GCH 2010, WL 2010, DCL 2010, Portofino 2010 GCH, YC and WL 2013 (Coming Soon)


DizOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #104
Franrose
DIS Veteran
 
Franrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kiwi Queenslander
Posts: 531

Dontcha just love how they love to help (so long as you pay the feeeees )
__________________
DL, WDW... 80s, 90s, 2004, 2011, 2013, ...?

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #105
DizOz
DIS Veteran
 
DizOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 673

Frustrating thing was I was willing to pay for the NY-LA fare but wasn't allowed to do that.
__________________
DLR 2003, WL 2004, AKL 2004, DLHK 2006, GCH 2007, WL 2007, GCH 2010, WL 2010, DCL 2010, Portofino 2010 GCH, YC and WL 2013 (Coming Soon)


DizOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.