Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
JenniD44
Mouseketeer

How to figure if the dining plan is worth it

The last time we went in 2009, there was an excel spreadsheet that someone shared with me (and others here on the DIS). You could put in about what each person's meal would cost, after looking at some of the sample menus, and it would calculate your totals. Then at the bottom it compared to the cost of the dining plan and the deluxe dining plan so you could decide what was better to do. Is this spreadsheet still floating around? I'd love to get it again. I'm sure I could do something similar on my own, but it was really nice.
JenniD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Tigerlulu
Mouseketeer

I'd love it too if you locate it!!!
Tigerlulu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I don't have a spreadsheet, but this is the rule of thumb that I use for this year (2012).

Cost of DDP: $51.50
Assumed Average QS Cost: $15
Assumed Average Snack Cost: $4
"Value" of TS Credit: $32.50
Tax Rate: 6.5%
So the pre-tax TS sub-total: 1.065x = $32.50 => x = $30.52

So if you're pre-tax TS sub-total for the drink, entree, and dessert is more than $30.52, you're breaking even or doing better on the DDP.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
FencerGirl
Mouseketeer

There is a user on here called Cafeen (I think) who has a spreadsheet that does what you're looking for. He's got a link in his signature.
FencerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
JenniD44
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info.
JenniD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
yarlin
Earning My Ears

Hi there, I've used the one in this page, it has the calculator and the link to menus w w w . dadsguidetowdw.com/walt-disney-world-dining-plan.html

yarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FencerGirl
There is a user on here called Cafeen (I think) who has a spreadsheet that does what you're looking for. He's got a link in his signature.
Yep. Although this post may not have it as I'm on my phone riding ME back to MCO . Should be able to get there through my user info though.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
I don't have a spreadsheet, but this is the rule of thumb that I use for this year (2012).

Cost of DDP: $51.50
Assumed Average QS Cost: $15
Assumed Average Snack Cost: $4
"Value" of TS Credit: $32.50
Tax Rate: 6.5%
So the pre-tax TS sub-total: 1.065x = $32.50 => x = $30.52

So if you're pre-tax TS sub-total for the drink, entree, and dessert is more than $30.52, you're breaking even or doing better on the DDP.
I think what you'd normally eat has to be considered too. In the end, I determined that the DDP is probably rarely a true savings unless you really like to eat a lot of snacks and do indeed normally order a dessert with every meal and typically order one of the most expensive things on the menu. Having said that, we've booked the DDP b/c it was nearly free based on the discounted Play/Stay/Dine pkg. That kind of makes it a no-brainer I think.
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
disneychristmasx3
Mouseketeer

I consider what we normally would eat...then I consider the way we would like to be able to eat while on vacation. I would like to let my family order dessert if they want it, and I would like to let them order a lemonade or a fruity specialty drink instead of ice water if that's what they want. I would like vacation dining to be more special than what we normally eat, and finally I would like to not have to think about the cost or look at prices when ordering for myself. I am one of those people who will order the pasta instead of the steak every time to save $4 on my entree. But if I didn't have to look at prices I would order the steak without a doubt. Since what we normally would order only saves a small amount over the dining plan I would go with dining plan every time and live it up. Especially when it's offered free! My kids looked at me with the widest eyes the first time we had the dining plan and they found out they could order whatever they wanted without asking permission. I wish I could have captured that disney magical moment!

disneychristmasx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychristmasx3 View Post
My kids looked at me with the widest eyes the first time we had the dining plan and they found out they could order whatever they wanted without asking permission. I wish I could have captured that disney magical moment!
Awww It really seems to be a psychological thing for a lot of people (myself included). I really struggled with it when I was comparing b/c I'm similar to you. I always go for the cheaper options, share desserts (if at all), stash some PB&J in the backpack, only drink water, etc. So the DDP would make me relax over the prices. On the other hand, it creates a different kind of stress - I think I'd feel the need to "get my money's worth" out of the plan and would wind up eating too much and gravitating to the more expensive things on the menus. <sigh> It's just the avid couponer/frugal person mentality. I'm hoping that getting it for virtually free also frees my brain to just eat what I wanna eat without pressure in either direction!! It's tough being neurotic.
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: