Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

How long has the Aquaduck camera not been working on the Fantasy?

We were so bummed to see the Aquaduck camera not working once on our cruise (Sept. 22-29 on the Fantasy).

We were on the Duck multiple times every single day at different times of the day, and the camera was never online.

It still flashed as you passed by the camera but the screen in the queue always said "Testing in Progress". No pictures ever showed up in our folder and there were no pictures of any Duck riders on the wall in Shutters.

Does anyone know the back story on this? It seems I have seen many people that had cruised on the Fantasy post pictures of themselves on the Duck, in both TR's and in scrapbooking layouts. So it must work some of the time.

Just curious. Thanks!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
DLW8
DIS Veteran

I was wondering the same thing, Jen!

It flashed almost every time we were on it (which was a lot), but no photos in our folder at Shutters.

HOWEVER..when we looked at the digital kiosk for Shutters, there was one photo of Jordan and Tom on the Duck. It wasn't put in our physical folder, but was there. We asked if there were more that just weren't associated with our room and they said if we didn't see it, there wasn't a photo.

I am surprised that it was in a "testing" phase as I woud have thought it would be fully up and running by 6 months into the Fantay sailings...

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
DreamGirl90
Mouseketeer

I thought they only shoot AquaDuck pictures on the first day.
DreamGirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
We were so bummed to see the Aquaduck camera not working once on our cruise (Sept. 22-29 on the Fantasy).

We were on the Duck multiple times every single day at different times of the day, and the camera was never online.

It still flashed as you passed by the camera but the screen in the queue always said "Testing in Progress". No pictures ever showed up in our folder and there were no pictures of any Duck riders on the wall in Shutters.

Does anyone know the back story on this? It seems I have seen many people that had cruised on the Fantasy post pictures of themselves on the Duck, in both TR's and in scrapbooking layouts. So it must work some of the time.

Just curious. Thanks!
It wasn't working in August either. We rode hoping to get the picture, but no luck!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
SA53
DIS Veteran

When we were there my kids rode it multiple times every day but we did not have any pictures in our folder BUT as the pp said, there was one shot (luckily a good shot) in our digital folder, the one you check at kiosks, not your physical folder. We then were able to order it and you could either count it toward your picture count or pay for it seperately. It was a 5x7. All of our family (we had 3 rooms) had some different photos that were only digital, not printed out, so next time you go ('cuz we all know you want to...) be sure to use your key and check out those kiosks. I know you may have done that and it still didn't show, but if you didn't hopefully this will help.

K in SA

SA53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Pudo
DCL Cruise Dreamin'

We were on the August 25th sailing, there were about 10 photos in our digital folder, some came out very well. These photos spanned multiple days, none were the first day since my little one took a couple of days to get up the courage to ride.
07/2002 Married at the Wedding Pavilion in WDW, DCL Wonder 3 day | 07/2003 - Anniversary present DCL Magic 7 day Eastern (St. Marteen & St. Thomas) | 07/2004 DCL Magic 7 day special itinerary (Puerto Rico & St. Thomas) | 11/2005 DCL Magic Western 7 day Thanksgiving cruise | 08/2006 DCL Western 7 day double dip. Surprised family with the Roy E. Disney suite | 08/2008 DCL 15 day Eastern Repo cruise (bringing the Magic home - Midship Cat 3 suite) | 10/2010 DCL 7 day Western Halloween Cruise | 08/2011 5 day Dream Roy Suite | 06/2012 DCL Magic 2 day NYC Cruise | 08/2012 7 day Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruise | 06/28/14 7 day Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruise
Pudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW8 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, Jen!

It flashed almost every time we were on it (which was a lot), but no photos in our folder at Shutters.

HOWEVER..when we looked at the digital kiosk for Shutters, there was one photo of Jordan and Tom on the Duck. It wasn't put in our physical folder, but was there. We asked if there were more that just weren't associated with our room and they said if we didn't see it, there wasn't a photo.

I am surprised that it was in a "testing" phase as I woud have thought it would be fully up and running by 6 months into the Fantay sailings...
Me too Darcy!

You guys got one- cool!

We didn't have one in our digital kiosk either, so I guess we just didn't get one.

Weird. I wonder why...is it a mechanical problem with the camera and it just takes pictures at random times? Or is it a facial recognition problem?

I always meant to ask at Shutters but it was always so busy in there I forgot.

Oh well. I guess it would have made narrowing down the pictures at the end even harder than it already was so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGirl90 View Post
I thought they only shoot AquaDuck pictures on the first day.
I don't know...I remember reading before the cruise that they only took pictures on one day of the cruise so we were expecting that.

We were on it a lot on day 1 though. From about 1 PM all the way up through first dinner seating. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName View Post
It wasn't working in August either. We rode hoping to get the picture, but no luck!
Bummer! I wonder if the Dream has had this problem too. Anyone know offhand?

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
truck1
Growing older but not up.

It hasnt worked at all since at least the Maiden. While onboard, we asked (we were on it a half dozen times at least and never saw the first picture of any of us on it.)and depending on who you asked, was a different version of why its not working.
Some of the more popular versions,(keep in mind this is from the Maiden)
A, there is an issue with the cables that conect the system with the computer and the camera and that the part was in Germany and was supposed to shipped to the US for reinstallation. ETA to fix was 3 weeks at that time.
B. There was a sync issue with the camera and flash and that the pics were taken, but were not viewable.
C. There was a software issue that they were working, with the camera taking pictures, but not assigning them to the proper rooms.
D. My favorite. What issue?
E. The entire system needs to be replaced and the work was half done at that point.
F. The computer is not talking to the camera.

I talked to Shutters shoreside when we got home about some issues that we had noticed and they were supposed to look into it. Ill have to call back tom and see what the story is.
On the MV, there were hard copies of some of the pics that were taken. Most were 4x and 5x of the same 100 or so pictures.

From what I understand, its supposed to take pictures every day and the whole time its in operation. Not just 1 day.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
ruley3
DIS Veteran

They told us it still a hit or miss and we sailed last month... maybe next time we will get a lucky shot!

Gold Member "Vacation to save Sanity"

ruley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
LoriS
Why is the rum always gone????

We just got off the Fantasy yesterday. I was told by Shutters that the pictures are being taken, but they do not print them, I think he said there are 6,000-8,000 shots per cruise. They run facial recognition and if a match is found they end up in your digital folder. He said they are working on upgrades and better ways to get the photos, but nothing is up and running yet. It looks like soon you will be able to search by time and find your own picture. I think that would be great, because of 4 of us who sailed, my younger daughter was the only 1 to get an Aquaduck picture.

LoriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

They should get an old fashioned system like the ride photos in the park where they have screens set up after you exit the ride and your photo has a number on it so you can order it later. Or make them sortable in the computer station by the day and approximate time you rode.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
DLW8
DIS Veteran

How about having people swipe their KTTW card before they get in the raft or type in their room # if they don't have their KTTW on them?

Jen - yes, we had one photo, but it wasn't great, so we didn't buy it. The only photos we bought were the Lifestyle photos (only time we do a family photo is on the cruise!). One of the 4 of us and one of the 2 kids....one of the smallest expenses for us this time!

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW8 View Post
How about having people swipe their KTTW card before they get in the raft or type in their room # if they don't have their KTTW on them?

Jen - yes, we had one photo, but it wasn't great, so we didn't buy it. The only photos we bought were the Lifestyle photos (only time we do a family photo is on the cruise!). One of the 4 of us and one of the 2 kids....one of the smallest expenses for us this time!
They do.
When you get to the top of the ride, theres a panel where you have to type in your cabin number and something else. I forget what. Might have been your last name or age.Then you get on the ride. In theory, the pictures should be timed with the person typing in the cabin number. For whatever reason, the panel, the camera and the computers are not talking to each other.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

On the maiden voyage they would punch in your room number at the computer before your raft was launched. This should have taken away the need for facial recognition. The unit that was suppose to be there for you to swipe your KTTW card never worked that we saw on the MV. The computer they used was on the CM's side of the raft.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
LoriS
Why is the rum always gone????

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1

They do.
When you get to the top of the ride, theres a panel where you have to type in your cabin number and something else. I forget what. Might have been your last name or age.Then you get on the ride. In theory, the pictures should be timed with the person typing in the cabin number. For whatever reason, the panel, the camera and the computers are not talking to each other.
The scanner at the top was not active last week. Shutters told me there were timing issues. Meaning the previous riders picture may not be taken before you scan your card.

LoriS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: