Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #61
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Two years ago when my DD was in 6th gr. her friend got sick in school. I am a back-up contact in case parents can't be reached in an emergency. The school called saying this girl was throwing up and they couldn't get ahold of her parents. I know my friend works evenings and sleeps during the day. While I went to school to pick the girl up I called another friend who lives two doors down from this family. I asked her to check the driveway (they don't have a garage) to see if the car was there. it was. I then asked her to please go ring the bell (told her the story). Well she still didn't answer - even with the golden retriever barking that they own. My friend felt really bad later on and couldn't believe she slept through all that.

Also, my son was home sick from school yest. We got the automated call around 6pm that he wasn't in school and to please send in an absent note when he returns. I know this is the policy but yes if something happened on his way to school (he leave at 6:30am) it would be almost 12 hours later until I would get any kind of notice from school (well i would notice at around 4:30 when I pick him up from cross country practice but that is still a long time).

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

Last edited by mamamary; 10-10-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #62
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

With our middle and high schools, we get the automated call in the evening. But our elementary school would have a secretary call first thing in the morning when one of our kids didn't show up. If we kept them home, for illness or to go to an appt or whatever, we were supposed to call a special absent hotline ASAP. Sometimes I would forget and the lovely secretary would call to see why they weren't in school. Our community elementary schools have a large population of walkers, so this system was good. We'd be alerted to any potential problems ASAP.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #63
goofy!
You have to ride a roller coaster now, nah-ne-nah-ne-boo-boo!
It has been two weeks now and my toes are only a bit chipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Ok yeah then it it is odd, she went missing on Friday morning and the back pack was found just sitting there Sunday? and wasn't seen for almost 3 days? that is extremely unlikely in a neighborhood.

very odd.
The backpack was first seen around 8am by some neighbors on Sunday morning. It was reported to police a little after 1 pm.

Seeing a backpack on a sidewalk in our neighborhood is not unusual. The area is heavy with kids and it is a very outdoor oriented neighborhood. Kids are always leaving stuff in front yards and sidewalks.

We have a listserve for our little town which is usually a complaint forum and provides endless entertainment. The DIS is an amatuer compared to some of ghe posts there About 1, one of the neighbors sent a message to the listserve that there was a backpack in front of his house with a water bottle with the name of Jessica Ridgeway on it and to come get it. A couple of other neighbors responded that that was the girl who was kidnapped. The guy called 911 and the cops were there within 20 minutes of the first post.

It has been reported that they think the backpack was put there around 1am, however at least one neighbor believes the backpack was there around 8pm Saturday night. We have been asked to talk to our kids to see if they saw anything while playing.
goofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #64
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Here if your kid isnt in school, they start calling you via automated service before 9:30AM. We also get an email.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #65
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Likely because they are putting their kids in a school that is out of district. We have a huge problem with this. Our county is a much desired school district (don't know why because I think it sucks) and the one right next to us (where our town is right next to a town that's another county) is not that great. Parents from this town next to us will fake addresses and phone numbers to get their kids in our middle school.
That would be a good reason but in this day and age where everyone has a cell phone i would just think that a parent could use a cell # as their contact and then they would never be able to tell what town they lived in. Guess some of these parents aren't that smart.

Not to mention having backup contacts listed. I know we have myself, DH, my father and step mother and my mother. Guess she didn't have anyone else listed though?

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #66
goofy!

Adding : the backpack was not there all weekend. It was placed there sometime Sat evening / Sun. morning.

One profiled has said the kidnapper may have put it there to focus the search away from where she really is. Although, those of us who know the neighborhood don't think that likely as he or she would really have to know the area to be on that street.

Today's search is focusing on the water bodies in the open space.

Last edited by goofy!; 10-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #67
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
That would be a good reason but in this day and age where everyone has a cell phone i would just think that a parent could use a cell # as their contact and then they would never be able to tell what town they lived in. Guess some of these parents aren't that smart.

Not to mention having backup contacts listed. I know we have myself, DH, my father and step mother and my mother. Guess she didn't have anyone else listed though?
I think some people just don't care all that much what goes on with their kids. In the case I mentioned about our friend's DD...that other girl's mom had listed all bogus numbers. Not sure why they don't put a real cell #. I think they don't want to be 'bothered' by the school. Maybe their thinking is 'if they can't get in touch with me, my kid will get to stay in that school and can never get in trouble'.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #68
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

I'm so sad I was hoping they had found her.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #69
penn19
DIS Veteran

I am trying to figure this out (and not judging!), but they said the mom worked the overnight shift, and did see her daughter leave for school. Is there someone else that lives in the house? I can't imagine leaving a 10 year old alone at night. Not saying this is the case, but they haven't gone into a ton of detail. At least on the news reports I have seen.

And I understand that the mom was sleeping all day after working all night, but I did hear that she slept for several hours after the school had called. I'm just wondering if there is a sibling or someone else that lives in the house that would have been around in the afternoon after school lets out so someone would know that on a typical day, Jessica would have got home from school.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #70
Bertnie20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn19
I am trying to figure this out (and not judging!), but they said the mom worked the overnight shift, and did see her daughter leave for school. Is there someone else that lives in the house? I can't imagine leaving a 10 year old alone at night. Not saying this is the case, but they haven't gone into a ton of detail. At least on the news reports I have seen.

And I understand that the mom was sleeping all day after working all night, but I did hear that she slept for several hours after the school had called. I'm just wondering if there is a sibling or someone else that lives in the house that would have been around in the afternoon after school lets out so someone would know that on a typical day, Jessica would have got home from school.
Not sure if grandma lives there but she is with grandma when mom works
Bertnie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #71
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
I think some people just don't care all that much what goes on with their kids. In the case I mentioned about our friend's DD...that other girl's mom had listed all bogus numbers. Not sure why they don't put a real cell #. I think they don't want to be 'bothered' by the school. Maybe their thinking is 'if they can't get in touch with me, my kid will get to stay in that school and can never get in trouble'.
I think you hit the nail on the head. They just don't want to be bothered. Trust me, that nurses phone number has come up on my cell before and I dread going in to tell the boss that I have to leave to pick her up. She was constantly getting sick in K and I was leaving a lot more than I would have liked. I could never ignore it though.

I guess they figure, the school can just deal with their child and they (the parent) won't have to deal with a sick kid, or ticked off bosses or loss of sleep.

Unfortunately, some people should have never had kids. (Not implying the mother and father in this story!)

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #72
goofy!

In the Boulder Valley schools, we get a call to our home phone, to our cell, a text message and an emai
Witt has said they will revisit how they contact the parents.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #73
Auggietina
The sky was streaked with reds, pinks, and white
I kept getting glue over EVERYTHING

Just got a news alert that the girl might have been seen here in Maine.

http://www.wmtw.com/Missing-Colorado...z/-/index.html
Auggietina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #74
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggietina View Post
Just got a news alert that the girl might have been seen here in Maine.

http://www.wmtw.com/Missing-Colorado...z/-/index.html
Lets hope it was her and they find the car before it gets to broadcast and spooks the person
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #75
unglygirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Lets hope it was her and they find the car before it gets to broadcast and spooks the person
I hope it is her and she is returned d to her family ASAP
unglygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: