Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianP1301 View Post
Unless their systems are non reduntant with single points of failure all over the place, there is no way they should be down for 24 hours. If it is, they seriously need a new IT department.

My educated guess here is that the actual outage will be around midnight for a relatively short period of time and the release to do the work is being over cautious by stating the lengthly window. I can't think of any upgrade I've been involved with (and there have been many), where a customer impacting system would be off line for that long. So, hopefully, the pain felt will be minimal.

And to the OP, I'd be annoyed as hell too if that was happening to me.
I'm guessing you aren't familiar with Disney's IT department.

It's terrible.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

I wonder if you could use a Disney gift card for food and such if your KTTW card won't work or if you can't check in and get your dining credits. If so, they may be able to reload your card after the outage.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
sb127
Mouseketeer

We checked in on the day they switched over to Lilo and it was the biggest mess that I have ever seen at Disney. We were at PORFQ. It took us over an hour waiting in line with many unhappy people ahead of us and we had done online check-in. Hope that these enhancement do not cause the chaos we experienced!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
RichmondTiggerFan
Favorites: Splash Mountain, FOTLK, Tigger!, Chip & Dale!, and Timon!!

Location: Native Kentuckian in the Capital of the Old Dominion

Unfortunately, IT is most definitely not one of Disney's strengths. Although, I wonder if they have an IT department or has it been taken over by an external vendor?
6/88 Offsite - 10/93 Dixie Landings(Now Port Orleans Riverside) - 6/97 Port Orleans(before they tacked on 'French Quarter') - 5/99 AS Sports - 5/01 POFQ - 2/03 AS Sports - 6/03 AS Music - 5/04 AS Sports - 9/04 AS Sports - 5/05 AS Sports - 9/06 AS Sports - 10/07 POFQ - 03/08 POFQ - 08/08 POR - 11/08 POR - 02/09 POR - 05/09-06/09 Wilderness Lodge - 10/09 POFQ - 3/10 AKL - 5/10 AKL - 7/10 POR - 10/10 AKL - 3/11 AKL - 10/11 POP - Next Trip ????

My Splash Mountain tally: 302 times
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewjubean
They have procedures set up for when this happens. Don't worry! They will do everything in their power to make it work!
Completely disagree!!!

We were there in June 2010 and room charging was down at AKV due to system upgrades. We had a HUGE hassle in getting tickets. I had put over $2,000 in gift cards on my room 2 days earlier to use for charges - especially the purchase of tix. We were never informed of a problem with room charges until we arrived at the ticket booth at DHS. It was a nightmare and completely handled poorly! That night it still wasn't back up and I went to the front desk to see what could be done as I wasn't shelling out an additional $1,000+ while Disney held my money. There were other guests there in the same predicament as myself. It left a very sour taste in our mouths for their handling of "system upgrades"

I know that DVC member services is closed as well during this round of upgrades so I am expecting some significant problems during all this. I'm just glad I don't arrive on property until the 14th! They should have had a chance to fix all the glitches by then!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if this will effect check-outs on Tuesday? and if so, how?
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh88 View Post

I'm going to go watch Wishes from my balcony and hope I can reach a resolution in the morning. If not, life goes on anyway.
Which you are extremely blessed to be able to do.

Its a tiny bump, not a major catastrophe. Chillax.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
danny1649
Will be wearing some lime green
I just love to dance
Armed with this information I might be able to out score DW for once

DISboards Moderator

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Here is the internal notice:
For the good information and the other posters for sharing good ideas. Danny
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh88 View Post
Right, their system is for the guest to pay and then they reimburse me.

I love Disney and love coming here, but I'm feeling decidedly un-magical at the moment. It doesn't matter if it "has to be done" or if I could be at work instead of on vacation. I come on vacation to relax and this particular road bump has been anything but relaxing. I know that no vacation is perfect, but IMHO, a better system could be devised to minimize inconvenience to guests even if it results in more work for CM's.

I guess I'm just being unusually pessimistic - for the first time, I'm irritated by how much money I've paid for vacation vs. the satisfaction I'm getting from it. Tomorrow is another day though.

I mainly just wanted to spread the word to those who might be checking in early next week - I truly feel bad for the CM's who will be working because I guarantee it will not be pleasant. And Waltgirl, I believe it will primarily affect packages (tickets and dining), however you likely will NOT be able to charge to your room, at least until after the systems are back up, so that could potentially affect all resort guests.

I'm going to go watch Wishes from my balcony and hope I can reach a resolution in the morning. If not, life goes on anyway.

I agree this is a problem, but if I am reading you right, your answer to the problem is to the take it out on the desk/up front CM's,??? abuse them???.

Pretty childish of you and poor manners to boot!

AKK
Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
drinkme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I agree this is a problem, but if I am reading you right, your answer to the problem is to the take it out on the desk/up front CM's,??? abuse them???.

AKK
The OP never said anything like that!!! When I read the post I read it to mean that the CMs were going to get alot of people complaining. The OP never said that the CMs deserve to be abused, nor should anyone else abuse them.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

AKK
That is not what the poster said.

There are certainly going to be a lot of unhappy people (understandably so), and the CM's will be dealing with them.

I'd be pretty darn irritated, too.

Disney's IT (whether internal or outsourced) is awful.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Future teacher, destined to touch young hearts and minds
Aced her PPSTs

I feel for the people that won't have the cash available. some people go on VERY tight budgets. We have been there on a tight budget, scrimped and saved, were able to pay ahead, but had very little extra money. Just the way it is. For some this could be a hardship and that is WRONG if you pay in advance.

(I don't want this to turn into a debate about people "should have money available", not everyone can)
Oct. '07 DD woke up Tinkerbelle
Oct. '07 Won Dream Fastpasses
Oct. '08 First Family at Epcot Character Meet and Greet
Oct. '08 Magical Family ~ Opened MK
Aug. '09 Magical Family ~ Opened Disneyland Park
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

But, again, based on the internal notice on the disruption that Cheshire Figment posted, while it appears no changes will be possible during the changeover, it also appears the "no tickets/no entitlements" the OP is being told is a misinterpretation by Cast Members.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
kneedeep
Loving the Florida life

Having to pay OOP and be reimbursed when you have already paid for a dining plan is at the least an inconvenience, and in some cases with very tight budgets could be a hardship. If this happens (and since there is some question of interpretation of the issue, hopefully it won't), then I think the best action would be to politely request that in good faith, Disney do something to help make things right. Based on our past experience, this could turn out to be a room credit, fast pass voucher, or some special gift being sent to your room. When we have been polite and given CMs the opportunity to restore our good opinion, we have never been disappointed with the outcome. We tell people that Disney isn't always perfect, but when there is a problem, they do what they can to make it right. That is why we keep going back.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

We had a lot of trouble after the big resort system upgrade in 2010. Our tickets were supposed to be on our KTTW cards. We checked in Saturday night then headed to DHS the next morning where we were very first in line to hit TSMM. Then the time came to open the gates and......... our tickets wouldn't work. We had to go wait in line at guest relations to have it all sorted out while hundreds of people poured into the park ahead of us. They then gave us fastpasses to make up for our lost time......... to any ride EXCEPT TSMM. Nice, huh?

Anyway, we had to go back to the front desk that night to have our tickets reissued. That is where they really took care of us. They reset our dining credits, even though we had alread used 2 credits each. They also gave us 2 taxi vouchers to use during our week to make up for lost time, and 2 "any attraction" fastpasses.

I think they really went above and beyond. So I say approach them politely and let them know if you had trouble. I bet they'll take good care of you.

If you have to be reimbursed for any dining, I bet they'll reimburse you AND reset your credits to the original amount, so maybe have an extra TS ADR or 2 later in your trip just in case. We had planned to pay for 2 of our CRT OOP, so ended up getting it free. I just don't know that they have the ability to load your card with anything less than the original amount of credits. At least that's what they told us at the time.

Disney is second to none in guest recovery. Just politely give them a chance.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: