Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
ajh88
DIS Veteran

CAUTION: If you are checking in Tuesday, October 9th

Just a fair warning, if you will be arriving at Disney between 5 pm on Monday, October 8th and 6 pm Tuesday, October 9th, you could very well have no access to your dining or ticket elements of your packages (assuming you have a MYW package).

We checked in for a room only stay this afternoon and found a letter in our room advising us of this systems outage. It is also mentioned on the Disney reservation website. It is some massive upgrade and evidently all systems will be down (this is what I was told). We are supposed to check in on the 9th for a package with my parents, so I am none too pleased with this.

We were told to "just pay out of pocket" and they will reimburse us for it, which will entail taking additional time out of our day to visit the concierge desk at the hotel. (Maybe that sounds insignificant to many, but it is an inconvenience nonetheless). I'm actually only about a step away from infuriated. I understand I am not the only guest affected and that many people will be in my shoes come Tuesday.

Just wanted to give fair warning to anyone who will be arriving Monday/Tuesday!!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
waynesgirl
Maleficent is my hero!

I would be mad but a good solution is get some gift cards now and keep receipts. Probably pretty quick around. My credit union went down like that...right when we checked in to WL. Disney did their best to make me happy...just bear with them.
WDW Commando Member #138!!!!
Me DH DS24 DD20 DD17 DS8
9/'79-offsite DL; 9/'01-Offsite/ASMo;12/'01-Offsite; 9/'02-ASMo; 4/'03-ASMo; 9/'03-offsite; 11/'04-CSR; '05-Wedding and NEW BABY;9/'07-SSR; 4/'08-POR; 9/'08-CBR; 11/'08-WL; 4/'09-DLParis; 11/'09-POFQ; 4/'10-AKL; 11/'10-CR; 4/'11-BWI, from Italy!; 11/'11-YC; 9/'12-Wyndham; 11/'12-AoA/Cars; 2/'13 CSR; 3/'13-Dolphin; 8/'13-offsite; 10/'13-offsite; 11/'13-AlStSport; 2/'14-offsite; 4/'14-POP; 6/'14-offsite; 10/'14 offsite; 12/'14 ASMo- and many more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
jewjubean
You can call me Bean
My vote "the TG" is a Mutant ninja fairy ranger. Fighting for crazy people everywhere!!:D

This stuff has to happen to keep this place running. Just make the best of the situation and enjoy your VACATION! Ya could be at work that day...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Yikes, I hope it doesn't cause you too much hassle. I thought I read one time that you can get your park tix ahead of checking in for your package. If that's true, maybe it'd be worth it to look into if you can at least your tix before the system outage so you don't have to front the money and be reimbursed. Just a thought. Good luck!

Planning a "super-secret" October F&WF weekend!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Waltgirl
No, it's fine, it's just regular everyday sweat

Is the problem only with dining?

We are checking in Tues afternoon but we are room only. Personally, If they told me to pay out of pocket after I paid for my entire trip up front, I would tell them to stuff it. Figure something out for me.

Waltgirl
Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
jewjubean
You can call me Bean
My vote "the TG" is a Mutant ninja fairy ranger. Fighting for crazy people everywhere!!:D

They have procedures set up for when this happens. Don't worry! They will do everything in their power to make it work!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
ajh88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewjubean View Post
They have procedures set up for when this happens. Don't worry! They will do everything in their power to make it work!
Right, their system is for the guest to pay and then they reimburse me.

I love Disney and love coming here, but I'm feeling decidedly un-magical at the moment. It doesn't matter if it "has to be done" or if I could be at work instead of on vacation. I come on vacation to relax and this particular road bump has been anything but relaxing. I know that no vacation is perfect, but IMHO, a better system could be devised to minimize inconvenience to guests even if it results in more work for CM's.

I guess I'm just being unusually pessimistic - for the first time, I'm irritated by how much money I've paid for vacation vs. the satisfaction I'm getting from it. Tomorrow is another day though.

I mainly just wanted to spread the word to those who might be checking in early next week - I truly feel bad for the CM's who will be working because I guarantee it will not be pleasant. And Waltgirl, I believe it will primarily affect packages (tickets and dining), however you likely will NOT be able to charge to your room, at least until after the systems are back up, so that could potentially affect all resort guests.

I'm going to go watch Wishes from my balcony and hope I can reach a resolution in the morning. If not, life goes on anyway.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

Unless their systems are non reduntant with single points of failure all over the place, there is no way they should be down for 24 hours. If it is, they seriously need a new IT department.

My educated guess here is that the actual outage will be around midnight for a relatively short period of time and the release to do the work is being over cautious by stating the lengthly window. I can't think of any upgrade I've been involved with (and there have been many), where a customer impacting system would be off line for that long. So, hopefully, the pain felt will be minimal.

And to the OP, I'd be annoyed as hell too if that was happening to me.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Here is the internal notice:

Quote:
From time to time, it is necessary for us to make computer systems enhancements. To that end, we will experience a downtime for some systems beginning 6pm on Monday, Oct. 8. The enhancements are anticipated to be complete by 3pm on Tuesday, Oct. 9.

This downtime will impact reservation systems, including a la carte, and our property management system, Lilo. In preparation, we recommend that Guests and Cast Members note the following:

• Dining reservations for Tuesday, Oct. 9 should be made by 5pm on Monday, Oct. 8.
• Guests who wish to modify or cancel existing dining reservations for Monday or Tuesday should plan to do so by 5pm on Sunday, Oct. 7 (due to cancellation policies).
• Dinner show tickets for performances of Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue on Monday, Oct. 8 should be picked up by 5pm that evening.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Here is the internal notice:
So, that doesn't sound much like what the OP heard. This is the official announcement, including what aspects are actually affected? Or is there more? Dining reservations, not dining plan entitlements? Dinner show tickets, not park tickets? Or is there more?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
finngirl
Earning My Ears

We will be checking in Tuesday afternoon. I am not too concerned. It sounds like you will just not be able to change any existing reservations, or make new ones, for a very short time. If you've already done online check-in, etc., it doesn't sound like it would impact you at all.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
ajh88
DIS Veteran

Just to reiterate what I was told at the front desk by multiple levels of CM's...when this upgrade is occurring, all aspects of the reservation system are down, including check in (to some extent, based on my limited understanding). They can see my reservation, know that I am supposed to be there, and know what plan I am supposed to be on. However, they have no way to actually "activate" my entitlements for dining, tickets, etc. because they cannot check me in (for lack of a better term) during the down time. Or perhaps more accurately, ALL they can do is check me into my room, not to my package.

All room assignments are already made and I will be able to get a room key, but that is all it will be. A key to a room.

This will NOT affect anyone who is already checked in on an active plan nor will it affect (to any great extent) any person who is on a room only plan. It applies only to folks checking in with dining/ticket packages during the outage. Not a huge number of people in the grand scheme of things, but it was enough of a kink to be frustrating and irritating (primarily since with the platinum plan we are doing higher dollar dining experiences and even one day's worth of reservations for 5 could run me OOP over $700).

For reference, the letter in my room states:

"...beginning 6 pm on Monday, October 8, we will receive computer system enhancements that are anticipated to be completed sometime between noon and 3 pm on Tuesday, October 9. To assist in making your vacation experience as seamless as possible during our system enhancements, please note the following:..." essentially what has been previously posted. It does state that if you want to purchase or upgrade tickets at your hotel, you should do it before Monday at 5 pm, otherwise you can do it at a theme park or box office, but to allow extra time since you may experience longer wait times.

Although the letter says 3, CM's are saying 6 (hopefully). Additionally, had I not already checked in with a room only, I would not have known about this until Tuesday morning on arrival. I have received no communication from Disney regarding this snag. I know that CM's can be wrong and I'm going to clarify it one more time just to make sure I'm prepared, but I'll just plan for the worst and hope for the best.

On the upside, we watched Wishes (and the EWP simultaneously - kind of weird) from our room then headed over to MK. Awesome night! We didn't get there until around 9:45 and in 2 hours we squeezed in rides on Buzz, TTA, Dumbo, Tea Cups, Pooh, and Small World. In addition, we checked out Pete's Silly Circus and saw Minnie, Daisy, Donald, and Goofy in their new area (super awesome!). Accomplished a lot in a little time and I can feel the magic slowly returning...

Last edited by ajh88; 10-07-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Yes I'm a Disney TA and we were alerted to this awhile back that it was coming! Not looking forward to this at all!!!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
All room assignments are already made and I will be able to get a room key, but that is all it will be. A key to a room.
Now, I would think that with the advance information, and the success of online check-in, that everything can (should, would, will, whatever) be ready for each expected guest in advance of the onset of the system enhancement period.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran

Tuesday at Epcot something happened to their systems for approximately 20 minutes where they couldn't take KTTW cards, dining plan entitlements or gift cards. Lots of cranky people at F&W because of that outage.
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: