Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Tell me about late entry to recommended parks

We did the rope drop AM EMH and park hop to recommended parks commando strategy in August. Planning on going back later August 2014 but want to change the strategy. Love Josh's recommendations on EasyWDW, used it somewhat for this past trip. Next trip we need to skip some of the rope drops and enter the parks later. What is your experience with this strategy?
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

How many days are on your tickets, and will you have park hopper? As a passholder, I often don't show up to a park until midmorning/afternoon. This usually works out fine when crowds are low to medium. However, this also means lines for the more popular rides are longer than in the AM. It's not a big deal for me to skip these, because I know I'm coming back. So, if you'll be park hopping and visiting the same park more than once, you should be OK. Whatever you don't get to do the first time, you can make priority when you visit again. And it will be nice to take a more leisurely pace

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
MikeTex1
Earning My Ears

My wife and agree that they best time to do the rides is before noon, whether park is busy or not. In one session we rode nine rides between the time the park opened and 12:00 P.M. Our general plan is to ride the most popular rides first thing and then do the least popular rides and shows in the afternoon and evening.
MikeTex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Next trip will be 10-12 days but will get 5-7 day non-park hopper with water park and more option to maximize our options.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
jvptravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
Next trip will be 10-12 days but will get 5-7 day non-park hopper with water park and more option to maximize our options.
Your family was there this year the same time as me, and at the same resort! How funny. Anyway, if you're already planning to have the water park feature, it's only a little over $20 per person to combine it with the park hopper feature. I believe you get the most value.

When I was there in August, I had the 8-day hopper with water parks, on a Premium Package. I didn't have time to use any of the water park & more features, but I don't regret spending the extra money to have it. It's a great value.
jvptravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
TinkerbellinLouisian
I think I'm going on my 21st visit in 47 years...

Late Entry

Well....

Our family is getting older.... For our last visits you are NOT Going to tell teenagers to be at a park for "Rope Drop"

So we have never done Rope Drop.

We have been at WDW during the VERY BUSIEST TIMES usually the Memorial Day weekend and July Fourth weekend....

We get to the parks when we can and I time the schedule to hit the most desirable rides (to ride or FP) asap.

We've always done every ride we wanted to.... I do NOT like park hoppers...our vacations are short so we don't have time to spend 2 hours transporting to other locations so we don't and I can spend that $250 somewhere else....

It's very doable... just plan your parks accordingly... have a magical visit !

Mary
1970 - (I was 5...it was just a movie being shown back then...still being built)...1974 - WDW - ?...1976 - DL - On the way to moving from CA to FL...1977 - WDW Lake Buena Vista...1981 - WDW High School Dance Competition...1982 - H.S. Dance Competition.....1983 - H.S. Dance Competition...1985 - Offsite...1991 - Offsite (HJ)..1993 - AS Movies...1994 - Offsite ...1995 - AS Music .....1997 - Offsite...1998 - Offsite...2000 - Offsite...2002 - Polynesian (Got Married!)...2004 - Beach Club...2006 - Beach Club...2008 - Beach Club...2010 May 9-14 BCV Graduation Celebration with DS18...2012 Surprising Family on details May Visit to WDW

TinkerbellinLouisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
We did the rope drop AM EMH and park hop to recommended parks commando strategy in August. Planning on going back later August 2014 but want to change the strategy. Love Josh's recommendations on EasyWDW, used it somewhat for this past trip. Next trip we need to skip some of the rope drops and enter the parks later. What is your experience with this strategy?
There is no substitute for getting there right at opening. However, it isn't the end of the world if you don't when it isn't busy if you know how to make the adjustment. If you can't make the adjustment, well you're probably not going to like the results. On this last trip, I didn't control the itinerary. We got there between about 9:30 and 11:00 most days. It ended up not hurting us at the studios because there were fast passes left for TSMM and both TOT and RnR are very accessible late in the afternoon. It hurt us one day at MK due to it being busy but not the other. It didn't hurt us at Epcot at all. And that day, we didn't actually get to start our touring until about noon. We still got all of future world and the rides in Mexico and Norway done. The fact that a ton of people were in line for 30th merchandise probably contributed to that. At AK, it did hurt us a bit. We ended up having to not get one of the shows in.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
jennykay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney

There is no substitute for getting there right at opening. However, it isn't the end of the world if you don't when it isn't busy if you know how to make the adjustment. If you can't make the adjustment, well you're probably not going to like the results. On this last trip, I didn't control the itinerary. We got there between about 9:30 and 11:00 most days. It ended up not hurting us at the studios because there were fast passes left for TSMM and both TOT and RnR are very accessible late in the afternoon. It hurt us one day at MK due to it being busy but not the other. It didn't hurt us at Epcot at all. And that day, we didn't actually get to start our touring until about noon. We still got all of future world and the rides in Mexico and Norway done. The fact that a ton of people were in line for 30th merchandise probably contributed to that. At AK, it did hurt us a bit. We ended up having to not get one of the shows in.
Sorry if I missed something- what do you mean when you say "if you know how to make tge adjustment"?

1989-offsite
1992-one day in MK-offsite
9/2007-Pop Century - MNSSHP
9/2008-ASMovies
10/2012-Pop Century
jennykay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: