Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbinnsGA View Post
what are the other negatives to renting?

Weve never done it and have never stayed on property.

Thats good to know about AKL. I think thats the only reason my husband wanted to rent but not sure LOL.
  • Renting points is not always cheaper than staying in a regular resort room. It is certainly cheaper than booking a Disney villa with Disney. And sometimes it can cost around the amount of a moderate resort room. But it is never as inexpensive as staying in a value resort room (suites excluded).
  • Renting requires a level of trust that some people are not comfortable with. You will be sending a large sum of money to someone you don't know and must rely on their honesty. While the majority of transactions are fine, there are always people who will find a way to rip off others. You can minimize your risk by going through a middleman like Dave's Disney Vacation Club. You'll end up paying more per point but he can do a lot to ensure that you don't show up at Disney only to learn that your reservation was canceled and your money is gone.
  • The DVC owner controls the reservation up to the point that you check in. If you want to make any changes or additions to your reservation, it DVC member. They are not professional travel agents and catering to your requests is not their top priority in life. It can take a couple of days to get confirmation that you added Grandma to the room or that he was able to switch you from a standard view to a savannah view.
  • There are a limited number of DVC villas. When the DVC members book up all of the villas at a resort, Disney does not open up more to them.
  • Booking with DVC requires advance planning. We're talking far in advance. Members can book at their home resort 11 months prior to the first day of their stay and can only book for 7 nights beyond that 11-month date. IOW, if you want to stay for 10 nights beginning Sept. 8, 2013, you can book the first 7 nights today (if member service were open, but that's another story). But you cannot book the entire 10 nights at that time. Your member would have to be able to book those last 3 nights later.
  • You must pay in full, well ahead of the day of your trip. If you book a room-only reservation with Disney, they ask for one night's fees as a deposit with the balance due at check in. If you rent DVC points, they want their money upfront, usually half the amount when they confirm the reservation and the remainder within a certain number of days after that.
  • Refund policies are not as lenient as Disney's When you agree to rent points from a DVC member, the member can no longer use their points. If you back out, they may no longer be able to bank those points for the next year. They might not be able to rent that reservation out to someone else. And they may not be able to use the reservation themselves. So, the rental contract will probably have a cancellation clause that means you forfeit your money after a certain date. Disney will refund your money completely if you cancel a room-only reservation with at least 5 days left before you arrive. At the very worst, you only lose the cost of one night instead of the price of your entire stay.
  • No daily housekeeping. Not a big deal for some people but others find this to be a huge negative. No one comes in to make your beds, take out your trash, wipe down your counters or hang fresh towels. If your stay is 8 days or less, you will receive "trash & towel" service on day #4. If your stay is 8 nights or longer, you will get full housekeeping service on day #4 and "trash & towel" service on day #8. You can pay for extra housekeeping services, but if you're staying DVC with the idea that you're going to save money, you might want to know that full housekeeping for a studio costs $30 per service and goes up to $75 for a Grand Villa.
  • Someone almost always has to sleep on a pullout sofa. Most of the DVC studios have one queen size bed and a pullout sofa. If you're just a couple visiting Disney, this isn't a problem. If you're a family of 4, someone is sleeping on the pullout. One bedroom units have a king bed in the bedroom and a pullout sofa in the living room. Again, someone ends up on a pullout if there are more than 2 of you.
  • You need to be extremely flexible when renting points. You might budget for staying in a value room at AKV during Value Season, but if there aren't any available, you're going to spend more money to pay for the points needed to book a standard view studio instead. Or you may want a BWV studio only to learn that the only studios available for your vacation are at SSR.
I don't want to discourage you from renting DVC points. You asked for the negatives, so I've presented them as I see them. There are a lot of pluses as well. Many people rent points and have wonderful vacations. For them, the negatives do not out weigh the positives that they get.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
[LIST][*]Renting points is not always cheaper than staying in a regular resort room. It is certainly cheaper than booking a Disney villa with Disney. And sometimes it can cost around the amount of a moderate resort room. But it is never as inexpensive as staying in a value resort room (suites excluded).
When we rented a 2 bedroom BCV, I priced it out, and it was very close pricewise to 2 rooms at a moderate. It worked for us, since we would've needed 2 rooms, and were planning on booking a moderate anyway. Having a full kitchen, laundry, and being able to walk to 2 parks made it way worth it. There is the trust thing, and I had a few nightmares about having a stranger walk away with our money (2 strangers actually - needed 2 DVC members for the amount of points we needed).

But it all worked out great, and I'd do it again.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know to rent (@ 13 a point) value at AKL with our base tickets for 7 days without a meal plan is 2k.
If we stay at music with park hopper and a dining plan is 2400. We arent sure about the dining plan since we live 5 hrs away I plan to precook casseroles and reheatables for some dinners and do lunch in the park with bringing our own snacks and what not.
With those prices, it appears that you are pricing an AKV Value Studio. The refrigerator in studios are only slightly bigger than a dorm refrigerator. Honestly, I don't think your casserole idea will work. Not when it will take you 2 days to drive down and then you will have to keep them refrigerated somehow for more time after that. I hate to say it, but your family will probably be more comfortable in a standard condo off of Disney property where you can cook more easily. There are many 2-3 bedroom condos where are MUCH cheaper than renting DVC points even after having to pay for parking.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

We rented DVC last year and got a great rate which made it entirely doable for us. Having a kitchen was invaluable to me, as was the washer/dryer and all the extra space since there was 5 of us. We did not have any full meals in our villa - just quickie items like waffles, cereal, etc in the morning and our dining leftovers for a late night snack at night. I had food delivered and we filled our fridge and pantry with snacks, water, juice, a case of beer, etc. We used the fridge/freezer, sink, toaster and microwave more than the stove.

We stayed at Boardwalk Villas and it was wonderful! Beautiful resort! We also purchasing the dining plan, which IMO was worth every dime - especially for the character meals.

The Boardwalk area is very nice, even just to walk around and see all the attractions, jugglers, magicians, etc. We did that often after coming home from the parks. We also loved being able to walk to Epcot.

For your little ones, I highly recommend taking a break in the parks by letting them run off some steam in the playgrounds Disney offers. My kids loved the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS and the Dinosaur Boneyard at AK. We also made sure to include specific shows that my toddler would enjoy - Playhouse Disney at DHS and Finding Nemo at AK.

Everyone has pros and cons to both DVC and the dining plan, but for us, it was worth it. Last year was our first family vacation in years (and spent years saving for it) and we truly wanted to enjoy ourselves, not be squished in a standard room and on a super strict budget. Everyone vacations differently though, you have to think about what will make your vacation truly enjoyable for each member of your family. Good luck!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood

Last edited by Jenny3; 10-08-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny3 View Post
We rented DVC last year and got a great rate which made it entirely doable for us. Having a kitchen was invaluable to me, as was the washer/dryer and all the extra space since there was 5 of us. We did not have any full meals in our villa - just quickie items like waffles, cereal, etc in the morning and our dining leftovers for a late night snack at night. We used the sink, toaster and microwave more than the stove.
The OP wants to rent a studio and not a 1 BR. She would have to pay another $1200 for a 1 bedroom.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
richelletaranto1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceemouse
While the DVC resorts are all really nice, the reality of going back to the room for meals just really doesn't work out that well for most people. To get back to the front of the park you are in, wait for the bus, get back to your room, cook and eat and go back into the park will take LOTS of time. Even if you drive you own car to and from the parks you will spend a lot of time transporting if you don't eat in the parks.

No travel agent can GET free food for you. I know, I am a travel agent. You can only get free food IF they offer it for your time frame, and then anyone can get it, not just your travel agent. You can go back and see what types of deals were offered for May in the past at www.mousesavers.com

Free food would really be your best deal and save you the most money. Or, there may be a room discount for your dates. Then you would have to crunch the numbers to see which deal is the best for you. The dining plan is awesome, kids love the character meals

As for as free things to do, yes, you can swim, go to Downtown Disney to shop, ect. However, you need to realize that after you buy a 3 or 4 day ticket the addition price to add another day or two is very, very small. It is more than worth it to go ahead and buy enough tickets for every day of your trip and then just do partial days if you do decide to eat and relax in your room.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous, but many people feel that a value room is a better deal for families with young kids. They LOVE the colorful/fun value resorts and honestly all most people do in the room is bathe and sleep anyway.
We are staying at akl conceirage in nov. we haven't done wdw in 4 years and only have done it once. I'm a dvc member but have been doing the cruise. Any tips regarding
Cooler
Wheel cart
Renting car worth it
Groceries
Naps?

Thanks! My kids are 10 and 6. Also I got bibbidi appts and cinderalla table on nov 10 but the estimate is for crowds to be a 9 out of 10. Don't know what I should do
richelletaranto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

If you want to make casseroles, etc, I'd look at staying somewhere like Windsor Hills. Lots more space for your buck than DVC.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

Well we looked more into the World of Resorts and they looked ALOT more kid friendly and with a Autisitic child, high strung 5 year old and a 11 mth old was key. I just couldnt imagine my kid breaking free and running through the lobby of AKL and not breaking anything.

So we decided to do the dining plan and one of the world ofs.

The only draw back is the no free laundry. Means my husband said no to bringing our cloth diapers with so far LOL. I just got my friend to make YDD a special disney one though so I might win afterall

Thanks for all the replys!

Our first family trip in May 2013!
We will be celebrating 5 birthdays and our 3 year anniversary!
bbinnsGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
If you want to make casseroles, etc, I'd look at staying somewhere like Windsor Hills. Lots more space for your buck than DVC.
We were actually going to have them premade and frozen since we only had a 5 hr drive to get there. but hubby agreed to the dining plan when I told him some of the items he could get with it then without it. especially the seafood restaurant at Epcot.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well we looked more into the World of Resorts and they looked ALOT more kid friendly and with a Autisitic child, high strung 5 year old and a 11 mth old was key. I just couldnt imagine my kid breaking free and running through the lobby of AKL and not breaking anything.

So we decided to do the dining plan and one of the world ofs.

The only draw back is the no free laundry. Means my husband said no to bringing our cloth diapers with so far LOL. I just got my friend to make YDD a special disney one though so I might win afterall

Thanks for all the replys!

I'm having some difficulty reading your posts with some of your impromptu abbreviations. What is a "world ofs"? Also, what is/where is "World of Resorts"?

As for the laundry, I used cloth diapers with my DD, but used disposables when I traveled. I am not squigged out by much, but poopy diapers in a WDW resort washing machine is one of them.

Last edited by robinb; 10-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I'm having some difficulty reading your posts with some of your impromptu abbreviations. What is a "world ofs"?
world of ....

world of music
world of movies
world of sports.

we havent decided which one yet. i think it will be decided on whats available.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
world of ....

world of music
world of movies
world of sports.

we havent decided which one yet. i think it will be decided on whats available.
You mean ...

All Star Music
All Star Movies
All Star Sports
Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #28
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
You mean ...

All Star Music
All Star Movies
All Star Sports
ack your right for some reason i thought they were world of. I think I was thinking of Wide World of sports.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #29
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ack your right for some reason i thought they were world of. I think I was thinking of Wide World of sports.
No worries! Pop Century is also a value resort in the same price range.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
bbinnsGA
Earning My Ears

That one we looked at but doesnt look as fun for our kids.

I know they would LOVE the movie one with all the charecter statues.

Can you use the other value resort pools if you are staying at a different one?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: