Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
yesallours
back after 4 years!!

Military rates on previously booked cruises?

This will be my 5th cruise, and I have a question about military bookings/rates. On our second cruise (booked with a TA), we paid in full 11 months ahead, then when a military rate came up for our December cruise/cabin, we received a refund for the difference, about a month before the cruise. The TA was able to modify our reservation to obtain the military rate.

Now on this upcoming December cruise, where military rates are not available yet, my TA is telling me that military rates are only available on new bookings only, not modifying existing reservations, while another Disney blog site says the TA can modify an existing reservation. We don't even care which rooms we get, so would we be able to completely change cabins (if available) to get a military rate, or would we have to completely cancel our rooms to qualify? I'm confused.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Jgasink
Mouseketeer

Switching to Mil Rates

If you are before your paid in full date, you can cancel with no penalty and switch to the military rate. If you are after your PIF date the penalty would apply, but it might still be cheaper even with the penalty. Some TA's dont want to deal with the hassle of the cancel/rebook process and they lose commission as well. That said DU was able to make the switch for us (it was before my PIF date) and we saved a bundle.....

hope this helps

John
Jgasink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
yesallours
back after 4 years!!

The mil rates come out 60 days or so before the salings, so that's the whole problem, they're after the 75 days. I'll just see when/if our date becomes available. but it is a popular time, so I'm not worrying too much.

Thanks for the response! I was already able to downsize our room. We originally had 2 5 person verandahs, gained an extra adult so moved two of my kids to that room, but then there was no availability for 4 person inside/outside staterooms. The TA is working on getting us moved to two 4 person verandah's (since now we only have 4 people per room and dont' need the space), and we saved almost $1000!! I'm probably at the end of my savings-abilities, but just want to check for all possibilities.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
sinnika
DIS Veteran

Sometimes the military rates come about before the penalty dates. The MTO rates were showing for the Dec 21st, 2012 Christmas cruise on the Magic out of Galveston as early as Sept 19th (the day I booked). I was checking daily for MTO rates by plugging in the code. We were booked on the New Years cruise, but could not move this cruise as it is new bookings only for military rates. In the past, we were able to rebook existing cruises using MTO rates (we did this for the Med cruises in 2010 and 2011 when MTO rates came out). . If you are eligible for MTO rates and have a cruise booked or possible dates that you could cruise, I would check often. You could save a lot.
sinnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesallours View Post
Now on this upcoming December cruise, where military rates are not available yet, my TA is telling me that military rates are only available on new bookings only, not modifying existing reservations, while another Disney blog site says the TA can modify an existing reservation. We don't even care which rooms we get, so would we be able to completely change cabins (if available) to get a military rate, or would we have to completely cancel our rooms to qualify? I'm confused.
I'd say the other website you mention hasn't updated their info since DCL changed their policy 2/7/11.

Here's the info from DCL's website:

Government taxes will vary by itinerary and are in addition to the below rates. Third and fourth Guest prices valid with 2 full-fare Guests in the same stateroom. Rates may vary by sail date and category. Other restrictions may apply. Limited to 50 staterooms. Other categories and sail dates may be available. Effective 2/7/11, DCL will only accept new bookings under the Military promotion, new bookings only.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sp...ilitary-rates/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: