Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
VP037388
Mouseketeer

Just back! Lots of good dining, Restaurants Inside, Questions Welcome

We just returned from our week at Disney. It's so hard to leave! We were a party of 8-so gratuity was included automatically. My inlaws were on one DDP, we (Me, DH, DS 7, DS 5, DS 18 months) on another DDP and my Mom paid out of pocket. No issues with the DDP, and it was free so what a bonus. Restaurants below. I will answer any questions I can.

Table Service
T-Rex-Dinner
Askerhaus-Breakfast
Ohana-Dinner
Garden Grill-Dinner
Tusker House-Breakfast
La Hacienda-Dinner
Kona Cafe-Dinner
Wispering Canyon Cafe-Breakfast

Counter Service
Flame Tree
Cosmic Ray's Cafe
Roaring Forks
Casey's

The only truly disappointing meal was WCC. We had dinner there on a previous trip and it was good. The breakfast was not. My son has food allergies and they did a great job there, and service was good, but the food was pretty bad. We had pancakes, Mickey waffles and eggs benedict. It totally reminded me of Howard Johnson's or Shoney's. All the other meals ranged from decent to great.
VP037388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
kopppa33
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP037388 View Post
We just returned from our week at Disney. It's so hard to leave! We were a party of 8-so gratuity was included automatically. My inlaws were on one DDP, we (Me, DH, DS 7, DS 5, DS 18 months) on another DDP and my Mom paid out of pocket. No issues with the DDP, and it was free so what a bonus. Restaurants below. I will answer any questions I can.

Table Service
T-Rex-Dinner
Askerhaus-Breakfast
Ohana-Dinner
Garden Grill-Dinner
Tusker House-Breakfast
La Hacienda-Dinner
Kona Cafe-Dinner
Wispering Canyon Cafe-Breakfast

Counter Service
Flame Tree
Cosmic Ray's Cafe
Roaring Forks
Casey's

The only truly disappointing meal was WCC. We had dinner there on a previous trip and it was good. The breakfast was not. My son has food allergies and they did a great job there, and service was good, but the food was pretty bad. We had pancakes, Mickey waffles and eggs benedict. It totally reminded me of Howard Johnson's or Shoney's. All the other meals ranged from decent to great.

Can you tell me what you and your family ordered and liked at the following places you ate?:

Cosmic Rays Cafe
Roaring Forks
Caseys
Kona Cafe

Thanks for your input
kopppa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
VP037388
Mouseketeer

Roaring Forks-flatbread pizza, various freshly made sandwiches (roast beef on foccacia bread, ham and cheese panini), chili. All good. All the toppings like lettuce, tomato, grilled onion, etc were fresh, not "old" like you find some places.
Kona Cafe-Shrimp and yakisoba noodles (stirfry). It was excellent. Teriakyi steak with sticky rice, crab cakes. All very good. All agreed this was an outstanding dinner. The creme brulee dessert didn't hurt either! Kids had Mickey pasta and hot dogs. Nothing special per se, but they ate all their dinner. The bread with macadamia nut butter went fast!!
Caseys-chili cheese hot dog. I am a big chili cheese hot dog fan. I know people have complained about the new bun but with all the toppings, it soaked the bread and honestly I didn't notice the difference. All the hot dogs are huge, a meal themselves, and I thought they were tasty. The others liked their versions as well (BBQ hot dog, Chicago dog) but agreed it was too much food.
Cosmic Rays-ate here a few times because it was fastest service/most seating but we liked the food for counter service. Chicken noodle soup was decent. Chili/cheese fries and cucumber salad were good. Kids loved the hamburgers (not on the kids menu but adult option). In laws really liked the chicken sandwiches. Dessert options were good too-carrot cake, chocolate cake. Again, for counter service, we were pleasantly surprised. This was also the cleanest counter service place we found. The first day we stopped by Pecos Bill and then Columbia Harbor House. They were a MESS and we didn't stay! Not sure what was going on there but the staff wasn't keeping up with the crowds. Cosmic Ray's was a happy accident.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

We have never been to La Hacienda. Did you like it? Have you ever been to San Angel? which did you like bletter La hacienda or San angel?
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

I just ate at LaHacienda on Thursday night and was sad to see they had just changed menu. I was looking forward to the pork with mole sauce and it is no longer on the menu. We had the dinner for two with the steak, chicken, and chorizo and that was really good. Our waiter was also very good.
Tanyabeth8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
alex9179
DIS Veteran

I've gone back and forth on whether to keep our Akershus BF ADR. How was the character interaction? That's what we're really paying for, after all. My family loves breakfast foods, so I think we'll be fine with what's served.

I guess I just want confirmation that my 8yr daughter will enjoy herself and if her younger brothers have fun, bonus! Belle is my favorite and then Snow White, so this place is for me a little, too.

Do you remember the adult price? I'm finding differing numbers.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran

We also loved Konas one of our favorite meals, those crab cakes were yummy I could've eaten that and their bread and macadamia nut butter for dinner alone. I'm interested in what you thought of T-rex, we ate at RFC and enjoyed that and I'm thinking of trying T-rex next trip. Linda
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
jerseygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
VP037388
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpiejg View Post
We have never been to La Hacienda. Did you like it? Have you ever been to San Angel? which did you like bletter La hacienda or San angel?
We have eaten at San Angel a number of times and liked it. We decided to try La Hacienda this time and liked it a lot too. They are just different, atmosphere wise, so you could easily do both in one trip and get a different experience. Both are more traditional mexican fare but La Hacienda is closer to what most people consider tex-mex or mainstream. We had a great table by the window, the service was great and the food was tasty. We ordered the "La Hacienda" platter for 2. It came with black beans, rice, creamy corn, beef/chicken/sausage, vegies and tortillas. The kids loved their meals too which says a lot: cheese quesadilla and steak taco. We would definitely go back.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Would like to know more about WCC breakfast, what did you eat and what was wrong with it? I have this booked for breakfast on our resort change day and we have never been for breakfast before...have DH talking into the skillet and I was going to get the eggs benny

If the food was not good I will have to change plans...dont care too much about the antics. Figure that at 8am it will be sort of quiet
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
VP037388
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9179 View Post
I've gone back and forth on whether to keep our Akershus BF ADR. How was the character interaction? That's what we're really paying for, after all. My family loves breakfast foods, so I think we'll be fine with what's served.

I guess I just want confirmation that my 8yr daughter will enjoy herself and if her younger brothers have fun, bonus! Belle is my favorite and then Snow White, so this place is for me a little, too.

Do you remember the adult price? I'm finding differing numbers.
We did 3 character meals this week and the interactions at all were very good. I was worried that kids would constantly interrupt or follow the princesses around-basically I imaged chaos-and that absolutely did not happen. They manage everything very well. Every princess visited every table and, if you were there long enough (slow eater) you saw them twice. At each table they took the time to speak with each child (3 in my case), take pictures (many) and sign autographs. We never felt hurried.
They start at different areas of the restaurant so you would see Snow White and then maybe 5 min. later Ariel would come by and so on. You had a break in between to actually eat. I only have boys and they had a great time so I imagine your daughter would love it.
You only see Belle at the beginning. You are taken to a area/room before you are seated and they do a picture with you and Belle. A photopass photographer is there and the picture is included with the meal. You can take your own pics too. You can interact with her there but she doesn't walk around the restaurant.
Snow White was spot on, Ariel, and Sleeping Beauty. They also do a parade around the restaurant every 20 minutes or so and that is fun for the kids. We would go back in a second. Not sure of the price. We had the dining plan but if you call WDW-DINE, they can confirm.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
VP037388
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl81 View Post
We also loved Konas one of our favorite meals, those crab cakes were yummy I could've eaten that and their bread and macadamia nut butter for dinner alone. I'm interested in what you thought of T-rex, we ate at RFC and enjoyed that and I'm thinking of trying T-rex next trip. Linda
Loved T-Rex and that was really a surprise to us. We went with low expectations based on some reviews. Theme was great, our server was probably one the best the whole trip, food was good. DH had chicken and ribs. He said they were good and would order them again. I had tortellini with grilled chicken and it was sooo good. I need the recipe. In laws had the bruscetta chicken, or similiar, and both cleaned their plates. Also had cocktails and all were mixed well (but pricey). Key lime pie for dessert and it was excellent. Kids had corn dog nuggets and roast chicken. They ate well and had no complaints.
The only con is the noise level. It is LOUD. I don't mean "chain restaurant on a Sat. night" loud, I mean LOUD. Between the crowds, kids, open kitchen, dinos and poor sound buffering, we were screaming at each other to have a conversation. This wouldn't keep me away, but be prepared. We like RFC but like T-Rex more.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
VP037388
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Would like to know more about WCC breakfast, what did you eat and what was wrong with it? I have this booked for breakfast on our resort change day and we have never been for breakfast before...have DH talking into the skillet and I was going to get the eggs benny

If the food was not good I will have to change plans...dont care too much about the antics. Figure that at 8am it will be sort of quiet
The biggest issue with the eggs benedict was that they used deli ham meat and not canadian bacon. Of all restaurants, this is suppose to be pacific northwest and they use deli meat? That ruined it for me. The sauce, eggs and muffin were fine. The potatoes tasted sour, even the kids wouldn't eat them. Just regular, diced and browned, potatoes/onions, but not good. The pancakes were hard, like I had to use a fork and knife to cut them up for the kids and all the food was cold. We didn't have time to send it all back as we were leaving. It was not crowded at 10AM. We walked right in. Actually, it wasn't crowded for breakfast the whole week. Dinner a few years ago was great there. Not sure what happened. The resort overall is great. Skip the breakfast.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
gris gris
Looking for the right word, & I can't relax until we figure it out ;-p
I go to bed with dirty feet

We just ate breakfast at WCC today and thought it was great. One of us had the all you can eat breakfast, eggs, Mickey waffle, potatoes, bacon, biscuit, gravy....I had the banana French toast and it was excellent. Definitely keep your ADR for Akershus breakfast! It is our favorite breakfast, we don't really even care about he Princesses. The breakfast is so good and I will make the family go every time we are here

1979 - Contemporary (first trip 5 years old!)
1983 - Polynesian
1986 - Polynesian
1990 - Contemporary
August 1999 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
February 2003 - All Star Movies
December 2006 - Pop Century
August 2008 - Pop Century
September 2010 - CBR Pirate Room
October 2012 - CBR
November 2014 - CSR

Everybody needs a little good luck charm, a little gris gris keeps you safe from harm" - Jimmy Buffett
gris gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
gris gris
Looking for the right word, & I can't relax until we figure it out ;-p
I go to bed with dirty feet

Forgot to add, we also ate at T Rex for the first time and it was very very good.

1979 - Contemporary (first trip 5 years old!)
1983 - Polynesian
1986 - Polynesian
1990 - Contemporary
August 1999 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
February 2003 - All Star Movies
December 2006 - Pop Century
August 2008 - Pop Century
September 2010 - CBR Pirate Room
October 2012 - CBR
November 2014 - CSR

Everybody needs a little good luck charm, a little gris gris keeps you safe from harm" - Jimmy Buffett
gris gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
alex9179
DIS Veteran

Thank you both! It sounds like a really fun experience. I can not WAIT to see them and watch my daughter get all tongue-tied...a rarity for her
I'll stop worrying over it and just enjoy myself.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: