Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Bonnie if you must obsess, do yourself a favor and delay the obsessing until a 2-3 days prior to your trip. I've lived in various parts of the U.S. and for some reason I find that the central Fla. forecast is less reliable than other places. Try not to sweat it and just be prepared with the ponchos.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
Mrbruin2k
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa8905

I'm at WDW right now, the last full day of our trip. The weather forecast was for rain EVERY DAY, and I can tell you that was an exaggeration by far . The only night we had heavy, sideways, drenching rain was Thursday night Oct 4th from about 7pm-8pm. I felt so bad for those attending MNSSHP, but we just waited it out in our lobby at the Poly (hello Tambu Lounge ), and walked back to the room once it went by.

Sure, it's rained in the middle of the night, and had a couple of daytime afternoon sprinkles (barley noticeable) here and there. Our night at MNSSHP on Friday Oct 5th was AWESOME. We've awakened to beautiful sunshine everyday and some cloud coverage in the afternoons, which have been most welcome. Don't sweat it, it's going to be just fine & magical!
I guess perception is in the eye of the beholder because we were at the MNSSHP on Thursday and it was horrible all night from 4-11, so much so they gave refunds. Also Friday had the biggest Thunderstorms from about 4-7 I had ever seen with lightening non stop shutting down the boats at Hollywood Studios/Epcot. The other days had some less noticeable rains in the afternoon but Thurs/Fri soaked everything and pretty much put all park activities to a stop. Was very disruptive and umbrellas/ponchos didn't help with those rain. Be prepared to get soaked at a moments notice as it went from dry to orange/red storms on Doppler in no time at all
2011 - Polynesian
2012 - Beach Club
2013 - Aulani
2013 - BLT
2014 - Villas Grand Floridian
2014 - BLT

Mrbruin2k is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Beep
My heart and soul live in Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa8905 View Post
I'm at WDW right now, the last full day of our trip. The weather forecast was for rain EVERY DAY, and I can tell you that was an exaggeration by far . The only night we had heavy, sideways, drenching rain was Thursday night Oct 4th from about 7pm-8pm. I felt so bad for those attending MNSSHP, but we just waited it out in our lobby at the Poly (hello Tambu Lounge ), and walked back to the room once it went by.

Sure, it's rained in the middle of the night, and had a couple of daytime afternoon sprinkles (barley noticeable) here and there. Our night at MNSSHP on Friday Oct 5th was AWESOME. We've awakened to beautiful sunshine everyday and some cloud coverage in the afternoons, which have been most welcome. Don't sweat it, it's going to be just fine & magical!
You must be in a different place to us then.

We arrived last Saturday and it has rained every day. Thursday night it started at 1830 (we were sheltering along with everyone else) and was still raining at 2230 when we got the monorail from the Poly. Hallowishes was delayed because of the weather, they announced that at O'Hanas.

The forecast is better for next week onwards but this last week has not been too good.

UK Spending Game #5
Beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

My dd was obsessing about the weather for our trip to WDW two years ago. She was carrying on so much it was driving me nuts and making me not want to go at all. I finally told her that if she was going to be so miserable, we could cancel the trip. She decided to stop worrying about it. Lo and behold, it turned out that it rained once for 20 minutes.

Then the next year we went to England on our vacation and it rained every day and it was nearly as warm as Orlando. After that, she stopped worrying about it raining in Orlando.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
matheke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie M View Post
Does anyone else have this this obsession about the weather for an upcoming trip? We have a trip for end of Oct and I find myself checking out weather reports for that time frame way too often. They have had so much rain lately and no end in sight! Trying not to let myself get discouraged by this thought. Just take rain ponchos along and keep on going. So much planning involved for this trip and you always hope weather will be great but you never know.
Am I the only one with this crazy obsession????
No you are not the only one with this obsession. There are plenty of others that do the same thing. I don't know why but folks do.

Why not worry about if there will be soap in your room?

Or if the busses will run on time?

Or if a truck will breakdown and not deliver your favorite food to the restaurant where you are having lunch?

It won't change anything. Relax and go have a great vacation and stop worrying about things you can not control.
matheke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #21
goofy_joe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbruin2k View Post
I guess perception is in the eye of the beholder because we were at the MNSSHP on Thursday and it was horrible all night from 4-11, so much so they gave refunds. Also Friday had the biggest Thunderstorms from about 4-7 I had ever seen with lightening non stop shutting down the boats at Hollywood Studios/Epcot. The other days had some less noticeable rains in the afternoon but Thurs/Fri soaked everything and pretty much put all park activities to a stop. Was very disruptive and umbrellas/ponchos didn't help with those rain. Be prepared to get soaked at a moments notice as it went from dry to orange/red storms on Doppler in no time at all
I was there also. I was pinned down at Pecos Bill's from about 6 to 7:30pm due to the storms. Definitely saw a big line at GR on the way out both inside and outside the park.

I was there 9/28 to 10/6 and it rained pretty much every day - the worst were the Thursday and Friday rains with extreme lightning.

Of course, things look more like Fall Disney next week, with drier weather. But I still had a great time and got a Segway tour and lots of golf in before the rain started. And Epcot's 30th anniversary day was amazing.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Also remember that just because the area might get rain, Disney World is pretty darn big. We've been at Animal Kingdom when it's started to rain and then moved over to a dry Epcot. Just because it's raining at Magic Kingdom doesn't mean you are wet at the Studios.

We just take our ponchos and go. The only reason I look at the weather forecast before a trip is for the temperatures so I know how to pack. And then I do that the day I am packing, which is usually one day in advance.

And you can have fun at Disney World in the rain. One of the best days I've ever had was New Year's Day at Animal Kingdom about 10 years ago. It rained so hard, it was literally coming down sideways. We saw everything in the park that day, even the Safari. Although I don't think we did Kali River Rapids. When the others went into It's Tough to be a Bug for the second time, my son (he was 20 at the time) and I sat out and had a wonderful conversation at Flame Tree BBQ. No one else was around except an Ibis. He often talks about that time, ten years later. Now, THAT is a Disney moment.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Don't forget that it can be raining in your back yard here, but not in the front yard, or just on one side of the street - the rain is that weird. So it might be pouring at MK, but sunny at Epcot. That's why the people who said it rained a lot last week, and the ones who said it didn't, can both be correct.

I don't look at the forecasts for anything other than a general idea of temperatures before I go. Then I put on the morning news each day as I'm getting ready to get the daily forecast. They don't even know for sure what tomorrow's weather is - let alone any farther out than that.

Last edited by fla4fun; 10-07-2012 at 11:01 AM.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie M View Post
Does anyone else have this this obsession about the weather for an upcoming trip? We have a trip for end of Oct and I find myself checking out weather reports for that time frame way too often. They have had so much rain lately and no end in sight! Trying not to let myself get discouraged by this thought. Just take rain ponchos along and keep on going. So much planning involved for this trip and you always hope weather will be great but you never know.
Am I the only one with this crazy obsession????
I'm sorry but we haven't had tremendous amounts of rain. Thunder showers yes....but real rain? Once in recent weeks. I'm not sure what you are seeing.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
AryaForQueen
.*:*.*Queen in the North*.*:*.

NO, you are not alone! For probably over a month before any trip the first thing i do every time i log onto the computer is check the weather! I get so sad when i see rain Lol.

The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy

When the snow falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.
Winter is Coming.
AryaForQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
daraddg
DIS Veteran

LOL I have been checking weather.com too even though I know most of the time its wrong you are not alone!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
Melissa8905
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
I'm sorry but we haven't had tremendous amounts of rain. Thunder showers yes....but real rain? Once in recent weeks. I'm not sure what you are seeing.
Thank you, that's what I was trying to point out to OP and others. I didn't mean to play down last Thursday night in any way, it was bad. I felt bad for those attending MNSSHP and wondered if people were getting refunds for it (apparently they did).

I just meant to say that the rainfall we experienced otherwise was sudden and short-lived. Even on Friday night for our MNSSHP, it rained while we were at dinner and when we arrived at 7:30 at MK, it had cleared. No biggie.
Melissa8905 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #28
BanditsMommy
Mouseketeer

I always find that the only reliable weather source is weather.gov . My friend from college was an atmospheric science major and he worked for the national weather service for a while and he told me their website is the most accurate of all the ones he knew of. If it makes you feel any better, their website shows the rain and thunderstorms stopping by Wednesday and it looks clear from there on out!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #29
Wish Upon A Star
The TF thinks WUAS is corn cool!!
Caught Being Crabby
Has been known to wear Dorothy's red shoes and click her heels for no explicable reason :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep View Post
You must be in a different place to us then.

We arrived last Saturday and it has rained every day. Thursday night it started at 1830 (we were sheltering along with everyone else) and was still raining at 2230 when we got the monorail from the Poly. Hallowishes was delayed because of the weather, they announced that at O'Hanas.

The forecast is better for next week onwards but this last week has not been too good.
We were in the same place as you . . .arrived on 9/30 and it RAINED every single late afternoon/evening . .started out in Universal for 4 nights, ended at WDW on 10/6.

We were one of the unlucky ones at MNSSHP on 10/4 and it poured literally for over an hour, then continued to rain . . .we ended up leaving at 9pm having done NOTHING at the party at all . . .

I also have to say that it was pretty darn hot and humid . . .we usually go the 2nd week of October, but we had not expected to be taking 2 - 3 showers a night . . .it seemed like Summer there . . .It was great to get home to "cool" off . . .

I'd say you'd have a more reliable forecast if you check the day prior to your arrival, then check daily . . .
Wilderness Lodge - 06/03, 10/05,
Contemporary - 08/06
Port Orleans Riverside - 10/07, 02/11, 03/13
Port Orleans French Quarter - 05/08, 10/08, 07/09, 05/10, 04/11, 05/11
Beach Club - 04/05, 07/10
Caribbean Beach - 10/10
BoardWalk Villas - 12/10
Dolphin - 10/11, 10/13, 11/13, 9/14
Yacht Club - 11/11

BoardWalk Inn - 4/12, 10/12
Coronado Springs - 11/12, 05/13, 05/14
Swan - 10/14
Wish Upon A Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
michsig
DIS Veteran

Just think - you're going to WDW! Don't worry about the weather too much! Just go and have a good time

September 2014 - POR
January 2013 - CSR
July 2012 - CSR
June 2010 - CSR
July 1999 - Villas at Disney Institute
May 1991 - Offsite
michsig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: