Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
monica9
DIS Veteran

Packing 101

Need help from the experts.

No packing cubes.
Me and daughter will be sharing one large suitcase (dh will have his own medium one)

We will be at WDW for 12 days. 2 nights in one resort, 2 nights in another and 7 nights in another.

Will be doing laundry 7 days into the trip. ( I will have a hard time wearing the same clothes all over again but will try to at least wear a few of the outfits).

Will be going end of Nov into early Dec and have NO IDEA how much to bring. Assuming I will bring summery clothes for the day and bring pants and hoodies/cardigans into the parks to change into when it gets cold? good idea?

I always roll my clothes but still feel I can do better than that. Should I roll and put individual outfits into ziplock bags?
Roll and seperate into ziplock bags according to item (eg, all t-shirts in one ziploc, all shorts in another, all cardigans in another,etc)

I saw a you tube video of a person laying out clothes over the luggage, layering them in different ways and then folding them up. Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDn9l20NlWw

Don't know how to pack for two of us for 12 days with three hotels. Thinking of bringing one extra samll suitcase than we normally do and keeping clothes for the 3 of us in that one bag for the 2 hotels (total 5 days worth of clothes)

HELP!
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Need help from the experts.

No packing cubes.
Me and daughter will be sharing one large suitcase (dh will have his own medium one)

We will be at WDW for 12 days. 2 nights in one resort, 2 nights in another and 7 nights in another.

Will be doing laundry 7 days into the trip. ( I will have a hard time wearing the same clothes all over again but will try to at least wear a few of the outfits).

Will be going end of Nov into early Dec and have NO IDEA how much to bring. Assuming I will bring summery clothes for the day and bring pants and hoodies/cardigans into the parks to change into when it gets cold? good idea?

I always roll my clothes but still feel I can do better than that. Should I roll and put individual outfits into ziplock bags?
Roll and seperate into ziplock bags according to item (eg, all t-shirts in one ziploc, all shorts in another, all cardigans in another,etc)

I saw a you tube video of a person laying out clothes over the luggage, layering them in different ways and then folding them up. Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDn9l20NlWw

Don't know how to pack for two of us for 12 days with three hotels. Thinking of bringing one extra samll suitcase than we normally do and keeping clothes for the 3 of us in that one bag for the 2 hotels (total 5 days worth of clothes)

HELP!
I personally am a fan of individual outfits (down to underwear and hair accessories) into separate, date labeled ziploc bags.

This works best for us on our 11 day trips, but only 1 hotel. We don't do laundry while down there...we bring a laundry bag with us and wash the clothes when we get home.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I personally am a fan of individual outfits (down to underwear and hair accessories) into separate, date labeled ziploc bags.

This works best for us on our 11 day trips, but only 1 hotel. We don't do laundry while down there...we bring a laundry bag with us and wash the clothes when we get home.
Hi Mousemommy1

I too like the individual outfits (shirt,shorts,underwear,socks) and I am definitely a fan of rolling the outfits and placing them in the suitcase.

I bring two laundry bags (1 for the whites and 1 for the colored) as well and we do laundry while we are there. I also bring my own tide, downy and fabric sheets.

OP I used to place all the outfits flat in different directions and then someone told me about the rolling. I have to say I like the rolling much better and the clothes don't seem to be as wrinkled. Go figure. But, since you have a little time, practice to see which way you like better.

We used to go the first 10 days in December and I would bring two hooded sweatshirts per person, 2 pairs of jeans/pants per person for night time. For me as I am not a cold weather person, I would bring gloves and a scarf for myself. I am a 90 degree and above girl, so anything below 60 is chilly for me.

Also, if you have an idea of which park's you are going to on each day, pack in that order but in reverse. Say if you are going to the MK the first day, than pack those outfits last (on top). I hope that makes sense.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
monica9
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the help from both posts!

Do you think 2 pairs of jeans and 2 hoodies each will be enough for 12 days? I just don't want to be in the same couple outfits for all the pictures. If Im comfortable in shorts and tee shirt in 75 degree weather in new england and we will be at the parks no early than 9 and will be leaving 90% of our trip by 8pm. Do you think we should pack more heavy clothes?
Sorry this sounds like a math problem when reading it!

sorry if its confusing
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
BanditsMommy
Mouseketeer

12 days with only two sweatshirts?! I know I tend to over pack, but that just seems like madness. I would bring at least four hoodies or cardigans or sweaters to throw on when it gets cold. Who knows if you'll spill something on one that won't come out in the wash, leave one on a ride, etc.

... Or maybe I'm just a spaz.

In any case I would probably bring four pairs of pants/jeans and four jackets/hoodies/sweaters. I did one trip in early February and took all summery clothes and only two pairs of jeans and two sweatshirts and regretted it all week as I never actually wore the summer clothes.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Back when we used to go, December wouldn't be too bad weather wise. But with that said, December seems to be really iffy these days, and as the PP said you are most likely better off bringing 4 of each. I wouldn't want to be seen in different pictures with the same clothes either..
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..

Sounds like a reason to pick up some new sweatshirts while you are at WDW!! The December weather can be very warm, or very cold. Make sure you check the weather forecast before you leave. I don't think 2 sweatshirts per person is enough for 12 nights.

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite
Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Hi Mousemommy1

I too like the individual outfits (shirt,shorts,underwear,socks) and I am definitely a fan of rolling the outfits and placing them in the suitcase.

I bring two laundry bags (1 for the whites and 1 for the colored) as well and we do laundry while we are there. I also bring my own tide, downy and fabric sheets.

OP I used to place all the outfits flat in different directions and then someone told me about the rolling. I have to say I like the rolling much better and the clothes don't seem to be as wrinkled. Go figure. But, since you have a little time, practice to see which way you like better.

We used to go the first 10 days in December and I would bring two hooded sweatshirts per person, 2 pairs of jeans/pants per person for night time. For me as I am not a cold weather person, I would bring gloves and a scarf for myself. I am a 90 degree and above girl, so anything below 60 is chilly for me.

Also, if you have an idea of which park's you are going to on each day, pack in that order but in reverse. Say if you are going to the MK the first day, than pack those outfits last (on top). I hope that makes sense.
Hey There!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiere Lover View Post
Sounds like a reason to pick up some new sweatshirts while you are at WDW!!
This is us. We ALWAYS come back with at least twice as much clothing as we went down with. We also pack a huge duffel to accommodate the extra baggage we'll be bringing home.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

For December, you want a mix of clothing you can layer. I don't take any shorts in December, but I take a mix of about half capris and half regular jeans or pants. In your photos, no one is going to look at the jeans and know you're wearing the same ones more than one day. Take a wide variety of shirts - some tees, some long sleeve - to mix and match with the jeans. I bring a fleece jacket that can be layered over my hoodie, so sometimes I wear just the hoodie, sometimes just the fleece, and if it's really cold, I can wear both.

Sometimes in December it will be in the 80's and you won't need a jacket all week. Sometimes it will be in the 50's and you'll wear the jacket, hat and gloves all day, all week. There just isn't any way to predict it this far out. Check the weather forecast a few days before you leave to fine tune your packing as far as temperatures go.

As far as packing for three moves, I would pack the clothes for the two shorter stays in the large ziploc baggies, so you can easily remove them from the suitcase and put the soiled clothes back in the baggies to keep your other clothes clean. That way you won't be doing so much packing and unpacking at the first two resorts. I drive, so I would pack two small overnight bags for those resorts, and then a third larger bag for the longer stay, but if you're flying that doesn't work so well.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun
In your photos, no one is going to look at the jeans and know you're wearing the same ones more than one day.
Good point. I found two styles I like and buy multiple pairs in the same wash or color. Heck, I think I have five pairs of identical black jeans now!
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
monica9
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the feedback. I might pack a duffel bag. Good idea!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I might pack a duffel bag. Good idea!
Yeah, a duffel is a GREAT place to toss your dirty clothes (in a bag of course and stuff you know won't break if you have to start to be selective about what items go in what bags. And duffels are light and even heavy duty ones are cheap (compared to luggage)! We have 2 huge ones but only ever need 1.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
Sometimes in December it will be in the 80's and you won't need a jacket all week. Sometimes it will be in the 50's and you'll wear the jacket, hat and gloves all day, all week. There just isn't any way to predict it this far out. Check the weather forecast a few days before you leave to fine tune your packing as far as temperatures go.
First week of December 2010, was freezing - literally, it was pretty cold that same week (towards the end) in 2009, as well.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...s-jeff-masters

Last year, in comparison, was pleasant the first week of December - I didn't wear shorts, tho'.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Yes, I would definitely take more than 2 sweatshirts and 2 pairs of jeans. When my husband and I went the 1st week in November in 2003 it got quite chilly, I had just brough tshirts and tank tops so I ended up buying a long sleeve shirt. I also remember going in December (a couple weeks before Christmas) in the early 90's and there's pictures of me with a sweatshirt and I do remember it getting chilly.

I'm not much help on the packing part because I take an outfit for everyday we are there and then add another outfit or two. I refuse to do laundry on vacation when that's an every weekend chore.
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: