Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #46
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Hi Susan.

If it goes below 67 in the house, furnace kicks on, if above 75, AC kicks on. Many nights so far that the furnace has run.
Hi Dan.
Wish my unit was set up like that. I have to manually change it from furnace to AC. I am so thankful though. Knock on wood when I turned it on an hour ago, (yes I gave in we were cold) it worked. Since we moved in here I always seemed to have to call the local Heating and cooling place to come fix something. They are most likely waiting for my call and missing the service call charge. Oh well... some money that can go towards some other bills.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
ashmarie06
DIS Veteran

It's getting down to 39 tonight in Cincy. I'm thinking the heat will be on at night and windows open during the day for the next week or so.. Yikes! It's so early for heat!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #48
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Our system is fully automatic (switches automatically based on temperature) so I don't know for sure, but unlikely down here yet
Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #49
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
Our system is fully automatic (switches automatically based on temperature) so I don't know for sure, but unlikely down here yet
How do you tell it to do nothing?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #50
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran

Haven't turned the heat on yet. Has gotten down into the mid 30's once or twice, and is to drop that low again tonight. Right now the place is sitting at 72.
AKV DVC Owner
ThisIsJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #51
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

We never actually turn it off since we don't have central air. We just turn the temp way down. I think it is set at 60 now.

It is currently 43 outside, I think the high today was 50. The windows were open all day. My wife just closed windows not too long ago and I just opened the door. It's getting hot in here. The thermostat in the hall reads 70, but as soon as you break the plane of walking into the living room, which is 3 feet from the thermostat, it feels about 5 degrees warmer.

It was getting quite chilly in the house by morning a few weeks ago because the AC unit was still in the window. Now that it is out and the window is sealed, the 3 year project of pulling siding off, reinsulating and resheathing, and stripping all the paint off the cedar (which is why it was a 3 year project) is really paying off now. We would have had the heat turned up a few weeks ago by now, but with the new insulation, it isn't needed yet.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #52
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
We heat and produce hot water with propane. We fill our tank once a year and it lasts all year. We heat to 68-70. The fill cost $800. We own our own tank and paid $1.40/gallon. Those who rent their tank pay 2-3xs more.

What is the efficiency of your furnace?
My furnace is top-of-the-line and is only 3 years old...but the house isn't very good at keeping the warm air in, unfortunately. New windows and new siding would help a lot, I think. It is on the "to do" list.

Also, where I live, it frequently goes into the single-digits for weeks at a time -- not sure if that is the same for you. Last winter was an awesome anomaly!
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #53
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I turned mine on a couple of mornings but it is off now. Thermostat reads 73.

I just moved and have forced air for the first time, my old house had radiators. It's nice to have it heat up pretty fast. I usually kept it at 68 at my old house.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #54
low-key
DIS Veteran

of course, this time of the eyar, I will have heat on at night and a/c in the day, thats just how I roll, same for everyhitng, I might take a 5 hour energy drink at 6, then a sleeping pill at 11, Im cool that way
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #55
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
How do you tell it to do nothing?
You can force it to Heat, Cool or Off, but we just leave it on Auto all the time. The system we have can be programmed and adjusted from any PC or mobile phone app.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #56
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

No heat on yet. In southeast TX we hit 90 today. Although, tomorrow the high is supposed to be 70, so we may have to turn on the heat a little! LOL, just kidding. DH makes me wait until the outside temp is in the 40s before I can turn on the heat. Yes, sadly, this born and bred Michigan girl has finally become a sissy to the cold. LOL
Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #57
akdllover
Earning My Ears

Been getting high 20's to low 40's here at night. Have had the heat on a few times, but not much. I like sleeping in a cool house at night.
akdllover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #58
joanne7891
Earning My Ears

Our heating started getting turned on in August! At the moment it's set to about 20c (68f) so when the house drops below that it clicks on. The bedroom window stays open all year however. We live in the UK.
joanne7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #59
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

This morning when I stepped outside to feed our outdoors cats it was crisp and quite cool. Glad the heat is on. Coming back inside was so nice. So surprised the kittens didn't try to come in since they had to of felt the warmth. Guess they and their Ma Ma are used to being outside and prefer it. Either that or they see my goofy cats looking out at them through the window and think, oh no a zoo, must not go inside.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #60
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Still have AC on. Going swimming in 20 minutes. Water is around 82F and temp. should be upper 80's.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: